OP
WhiteyDog

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I chose the Varimax pump, which I believe is the same pump that Edelbrock & Whipple use. Lingenfelter tested it and it flows 25% more than the Bosch pump. It also has the advantage of being a brushless pump. Brushless pumps have the advantage of using less amperage to run, plus eliminates a failure point, the brushes.
https://www.lingenfelter.com/PDFdownloads/L330070000.pdf
Looks like another good option, I visited the Lingenfelter site several times for info, along with Department of Boost.
Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
DOB has done some very good research on efficiency and heat removal topics. The Lingenfelter pump physically looks just like the Whipple option only with a different mounting option.

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have the VMP triple pass and the Whipple high flow pump. I’ve disconnected my fans and actually run a couple of degrees cooler than the Bosch pump with the fans. It also cools down quicker once moving as well. High flow pump is the way to go.

OP
OP
WhiteyDog

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I have the VMP triple pass and the Whipple high flow pump. I’ve disconnected my fans and actually run a couple of degrees cooler than the Bosch pump with the fans. It also cools down quicker once moving as well. High flow pump is the way to go.
Good to hear, and yes, I'm liking the difference with a higher flowing pump as well. VMP claims their pump flows 30% better than the Bosch, I know I'm getting better results since installing it, so I guess that's accurate. Got a question for ya, you said you disconnected your fans, did you also remove them?

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Good to hear, and yes, I'm liking the difference with a higher flowing pump as well. VMP claims their pump flows 30% better than the Bosch, I know I'm getting better results since installing it, so I guess that's accurate. Got a question for ya, you said you disconnected your fans, did you also remove them?
I have not removed them yet, but I will. I was waiting to make sure I was happy before dragging them off, so I expect it to get a little better after the removal.

Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I have not removed them yet, but I will. I was waiting to make sure I was happy before dragging them off, so I expect it to get a little better after the removal.
What mix are you running in the loop? Pure distilled water? 50/50? 40/60? Just curious. I've always run 40/60 so I don't have to worry about splitting an IC or HE when forgetting to drain the system in the sub 32F months.

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’m running 50/50 and I’ve seen temps well below 32F with no trouble. I thought 50/50 was good for temps well below 0F.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I’m running 50/50 and I’ve seen temps well below 32F with no trouble. I thought 50/50 was good for temps well below 0F.
50% Motorcraft provides -34F protection. I run 40% coolant (glycol) in the HE for more heat removal ability. Raises the freezing point to about -20 roughly.

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’ve been tempted to go to a 40% glycol mix. Sounds like you like that setup?

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Never had a freeze up. The lower the coolant/glycol/ethylene content the more heat removal. The "heavy hitters" in my area run pure distilled water and ice boxes. They drain the system and fill it with a coolant mix in the fall for storage IF the car isn't in a heat controlled garage. I'd end up forgetting or I'd run pure distilled water in my street setups as well. So 40/60 gives a little more heat removal. Every degree counts even if it's only a 1-2 degree improvement. That could be the difference between pulling timing and not pulling timing.

Sponsored
OP
OP
WhiteyDog

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I'd like to do this as well (going 60% water), just never got around to it. -20f is rarely seen in my area, and never in my garage which is where my car stays during the winter.

OP
OP
WhiteyDog

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
After doing some more driving with the outside temperature at 84 degrees instead of 65 degrees when I first installed the VMP pump, I can say my IAT's are easily holding where they were and, a little cooler. I deliberately put myself in mixed stop and go traffic and cruising situations with "getting on it" here and there. Yesterday I was running 13 degrees lower than before the pump change while cruising, and 4 - 8 degrees cooler in stop and go and "getting on it" (some), with the temps definitely falling faster afterwards. Now just to be clear, I wasn't hammering on it this time with WOT pulls. And just for information, my JLT cai has a plexiglass cover I made for it to also help with IAT's and was on the car when I still had the old pump on for fair comparison. Now instead of my IAT being 40 degrees above ambient temperature (post supercharger) on the norm, it is now 30 degrees and a few degrees lower on a regular basis.

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
After doing some more driving with the outside temperature at 84 degrees instead of 65 degrees when I first installed the VMP pump, I can say my IAT's are easily holding where they were and, a little cooler. I deliberately put myself in mixed stop and go traffic and cruising situations with "getting on it" here and there. Yesterday I was running 13 degrees lower than before the pump change while cruising, and 4 - 8 degrees cooler in stop and go and "getting on it" (some), with the temps definitely falling faster afterwards. Now just to be clear, I wasn't hammering on it this time with WOT pulls. And just for information, my JLT cai has a plexiglass cover I made for it to also help with IAT's and was on the car when I still had the old pump on for fair comparison. Now instead of my IAT being 40 degrees above ambient temperature (post supercharger) on the norm, it is now 30 degrees and a few degrees lower on a regular basis.
I am seeing identical results with the Whipple high flow pump, but I have the VMP triple pass with no fans running. Interesting that the triple pass doesn’t really make a difference. I see about 25 above ambient when running 70mph, and stop and go traffic is about 30 above ambient. I used to see 40 above.

OP
OP
WhiteyDog

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I am seeing identical results with the Whipple high flow pump, but I have the VMP triple pass with no fans running. Interesting that the triple pass doesn’t really make a difference. I see about 25 above ambient when running 70mph, and stop and go traffic is about 30 above ambient. I used to see 40 above.
Hmmm, . . . . .perhaps removing the fans will make a noticeable difference? Like the Whipple guys have with their oversized H/E with no fans. As for running 70mph, I haven't been able to run that speed for a long enough period of time yet.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase