Sponsored

Intercooler pump failure, Roush, VMP, GT500 pump.

Dsquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP LB
Hey guys, question about my intercooler pump that may have taken a dump? I am running a Roush 2.3, have the VMP heat exchanger, and changed out the Roush pump to the '12-'13 GT500 intercooler pump. Less than 2k miles on the pump. Yestrday morning all was normal, then in the evening on a 2 hour drive home, I noticed very high IAT's in the 160-170 range. Today I checked and see that the pump is not pushing coolant through the intercooler tank. Before I start tearing things apart to get to it, does anyone know which fuse the pump runs off of? Possibly air in the lines? The fans on the VMP are working, do they run off same fuse? Secondly, hoping I can access the pump from underneath (pretty sure I can), and not have to remove the bumper. Anyone else have this issue? Thirdly, how safe is it to drive with IAT's that high..(it's an hour drive to the mechanic who installed if I cant figure it out myself). TIA
Sponsored

Last edited:

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
I have had that same thing happen on my car too 2-3 times. The pump is probably not broken, there is just air in the line. You can access the pump if you remove the CAI intake and box or heat shield. Put the car in run so that the pump is on, reach down there and see if you can feel the pump vibrating, if it is grab the hose going to it and squeeze and move it around see if you can get the coolant going again. One time I had to un bolt the pump and flip it upside down so it would start flowing again.

OP
OP
Dsquared

Dsquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP LB
I have had that same thing happen on my car too 2-3 times. The pump is probably not broken, there is just air in the line. You can access the pump if you remove the CAI intake and box or heat shield. Put the car in run so that the pump is on, reach down there and see if you can feel the pump vibrating, if it is grab the hose going to it and squeeze and move it around see if you can get the coolant going again. One time I had to un bolt the pump and flip it upside down so it would start flowing again.
Thanks, everyone I've talked to says pretty much the same thing. Finally getting a chance today to deal with it.

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
And yes the fans and IC pump are on the same line. It is non fused and runs through a set of relays. The wire that feeds the fans and pump are on a lug under the cover of the power distribution block in the engine bay, and this feeds through a relay that is controlled from another circuit that becomes hot when the key is in the “on” position. I’m guessing you just have air in the line.

Make sure your coolant tank has plenty of fluid. If you fill it where the level is lower than the return outlet, you will get random air bubbles to back feed to the pump. I had this a few times, and finally added more water/antifreeze to bring the level up. I never had another problem in two years.

OP
OP
Dsquared

Dsquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP LB
Issue resolved. A couple squeezes on the hose right by the pump and all is good. Thanks for the info Vegas50, ckendri and WhiteyDog.

Sponsored

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
Bringing up an old thread, but same thing.
My IAT2 up around 160, off and on in the same trip. Done this 3-4 times since Winter when i put the VMP Triple pass, dual Fan Heat Ex in. Had assumed air bubbles the first couple of times, but now, no way air still in there, so now assuming the little Roush pump is failing.
I did relocate the pump when i did the heat Ex to where VMP recommends.
Thinking of doing their Upgraded pump as it is suppose to flow more GPM, but no spec's to compared. I think they say 30% increase, which should be good.
Anybody else have a Roush pump fail?
And if anybody is using the VMP upgraded pump?

94Mustang302ci

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shaun
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Bringing up an old thread, but same thing.
My IAT2 up around 160, off and on in the same trip. Done this 3-4 times since Winter when i put the VMP Triple pass, dual Fan Heat Ex in. Had assumed air bubbles the first couple of times, but now, no way air still in there, so now assuming the little Roush pump is failing.
I did relocate the pump when i did the heat Ex to where VMP recommends.
Thinking of doing their Upgraded pump as it is suppose to flow more GPM, but no spec's to compared. I think they say 30% increase, which should be good.
Anybody else have a Roush pump fail?
And if anybody is using the VMP upgraded pump?

I just ordered the Whipple upgraded pump. Department of Boost had a good write up about pump flow but I'm not sure the newest VMP pump was included.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I have the VMP upgraded intercooler pump. My Roush pump didn't fail, I just wanted more flow.

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I was going to order one of the VMP upgrade pumps, but they are on back order. My pump works most of the time, but I don't want to be left at the line if my pump quits and need the power at the time. I'll be watching closely on the n Gauge.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I was going to order one of the VMP upgrade pumps, but they are on back order. My pump works most of the time, but I don't want to be left at the line if my pump quits and need the power at the time. I'll be watching closely on the n Gauge.
I believe a Pierburg CW800 pump will also fit and be an upgrade. At least I think that's what the model number is if I'm not mistaken.

Sponsored

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info..

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
CW100 is what I believe is the unit
Good Afternoon! I currently have a 2019 GT with Roush 2650 (i know it heatsoaks). Recently the intercooler pump has been working intermittently. Sometimes it comes on with the car, and sometimes it doesn't. Has anyone had a problem like this before?
I monitor iat2's with my ngauge. When it is working the iat2's are around 120-140 in 100 degree heat. They will dip once the car has been moving a bit.
When the pump is not working (no coolant flow visible in tank and no noise from pump) the iat2s shoot up to 170-180 and do not dip at all when moving.
I was thinking it would be the relay or the pump itself, but I am torn because when the pump works, it works until the next key cycle. Am I going down the right path? Replacing the pump is easy enough, and in the process I could get an upgraded one. But if it's something else I would rather address that 1st.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Good Afternoon! I currently have a 2019 GT with Roush 2650 (i know it heatsoaks). Recently the intercooler pump has been working intermittently. Sometimes it comes on with the car, and sometimes it doesn't. Has anyone had a problem like this before?
I monitor iat2's with my ngauge. When it is working the iat2's are around 120-140 in 100 degree heat. They will dip once the car has been moving a bit.
When the pump is not working (no coolant flow visible in tank and no noise from pump) the iat2s shoot up to 170-180 and do not dip at all when moving.
I was thinking it would be the relay or the pump itself, but I am torn because when the pump works, it works until the next key cycle. Am I going down the right path? Replacing the pump is easy enough, and in the process I could get an upgraded one. But if it's something else I would rather address that 1st.
Most of the time when I hear guys reporting they're having these issues it's usually the pump going out. With yours being a 2019 seems kinda strange that it would be sh*tting the bed already, but hey, I guess it's a possibility.