Sponsored

Intercooler pump failure, Roush, VMP, GT500 pump.

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
Most of the time when I hear guys reporting they're having these issues it's usually the pump going out. With yours being a 2019 seems kinda strange that it would be sh*tting the bed already, but hey, I guess it's a possibility.
I spoke with another member of a facebook group that had a similar issue. It was his relay causing the problem. I am leaning towards this because once the pump comes on it does not shut off until one of the next key cycles (but that's just a guess). I am at the dealer right now hoping for a diagnosis. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I spoke with another member of a facebook group that had a similar issue. It was his relay causing the problem. I am leaning towards this because once the pump comes on it does not shut off until one of the next key cycles (but that's just a guess). I am at the dealer right now hoping for a diagnosis. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Sending good mojo your way for an easy, quick, and cheap fix.

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
Sending good mojo your way for an easy, quick, and cheap fix.
I had the pump not working when i pulled in and told them..... 180+iat2's..... They called me into the shop and showed me the pump working and that this was normal behavior.... I told the mechanic it was intermittent and he was pissed they had shut the car off. But he inspected the wiring for me. Then he ripped open a new kit and pulled a relay out and swapped it for me. He then said if it happens again to bring it back and leave it with them for a day. They will verify the issue and swap the pump... if it's still an issue after that they'll swap the harness. No charge..... gotta love Roush customer service.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I had the pump not working when i pulled in and told them..... 180+iat2's..... They called me into the shop and showed me the pump working and that this was normal behavior.... I told the mechanic it was intermittent and he was pissed they had shut the car off. But he inspected the wiring for me. Then he ripped open a new kit and pulled a relay out and swapped it for me. He then said if it happens again to bring it back and leave it with them for a day. They will verify the issue and swap the pump... if it's still an issue after that they'll swap the harness. No charge..... gotta love Roush customer service.
Well that's a h*ll of a lot better than an "F-you we can't find anything".

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
Well that's a h*ll of a lot better than an "F-you we can't find anything".
Yeah.... he was telling me it could be 1 of 3 things..... the pump, harness, or relay... they offered to replace 1 at a time....lol. I'm not complaining.

Sponsored

wizofwuz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTCS
Vehicle Showcase
I had a pump failure on my Gen IIR Kit. Bought the kit in 18, installed it in 19 and the pump shit to bed in between now and then. I ordered the upgraded pump from VMP and it was backordered and i just recieved it this past Monday. Should be bck on the road this week.....

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
Just received my VMP upgrade pump and hopefully have it in tomorrow morning before the Garage gets to be 120 degrees.
Will report back what I see temp wise.

BLSTOIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Good Afternoon! I currently have a 2019 GT with Roush 2650 (i know it heatsoaks). Recently the intercooler pump has been working intermittently. Sometimes it comes on with the car, and sometimes it doesn't. Has anyone had a problem like this before?
I monitor iat2's with my ngauge. When it is working the iat2's are around 120-140 in 100 degree heat. They will dip once the car has been moving a bit.
When the pump is not working (no coolant flow visible in tank and no noise from pump) the iat2s shoot up to 170-180 and do not dip at all when moving.
I was thinking it would be the relay or the pump itself, but I am torn because when the pump works, it works until the next key cycle. Am I going down the right path? Replacing the pump is easy enough, and in the process I could get an upgraded one. But if it's something else I would rather address that 1st.

Granted I have a VMP kit and pump, but on mine, it was going out intermittently as well, because on the wiring harness, the wire that is on the brass "ring" that attaches to one of the fuses posts was wiggling and losing contact. I soldered the wire and ring onto the fuse permanently and it was all good after that. Not sure if the Roush is set up similarly but I hope that helps

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Well I got the Updated VMP pump on this Morning. Was able to access everything from just removing the lower air dam/panel. Was very easy actually but did have to modify the wrap bracket they give you. Flow does look stronger watching the Degas tank. Have not driven it yet.
20200703_114237.jpg
20200703_103010.jpg

donlx90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, JK Wrangler, 2019 Road King Special 114
Well I got the Updated VMP pump on this Morning. Was able to access everything from just removing the lower air dam/panel. Was very easy actually but did have to modify the wrap bracket they give you. Flow does look stronger watching the Degas tank. Have not driven it yet.
20200703_114237.jpg
20200703_103010.jpg
Any iat2 temp difference results?

Sponsored

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Yes. It has been a few weeks now and over our hot summer, upper 90's+ and IAT2'S are looking good. About 22-27 degrees over IAT1. And stay very consistent. Have not done any repeated 1/4 mile testing at full Throttle.
Very happy with results.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
20200703_114237.jpg
20200703_103010.jpg
The pump is not pointed down?

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
That picture is from under the car, so the pump intake is at the very bottom and discharge is going almost horizontally right into the VMP Triple pass Heat Exchanger. Works great.

Mustanggtvert32907

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible
Bringing up an old thread, but same thing.
My IAT2 up around 160, off and on in the same trip. Done this 3-4 times since Winter when i put the VMP Triple pass, dual Fan Heat Ex in. Had assumed air bubbles the first couple of times, but now, no way air still in there, so now assuming the little Roush pump is failing.
I did relocate the pump when i did the heat Ex to where VMP recommends.
Thinking of doing their Upgraded pump as it is suppose to flow more GPM, but no spec's to compared. I think they say 30% increase, which should be good.
Anybody else have a Roush pump fail?
And if anybody is using the VMP upgraded pump?
Where do you relocate the vmp pump too. I have an edelbrock and am having the same issue. I think we have the same pump as well. I ordered the vmp upgrade. When my pump is on it doesn’t really seem strong any more

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Let's see, I moved the pump from the Roush Passenger side location to the driver side just to the side of the heat Ex when I bought the VMP heat Exchanger .
When I got my VMP Heat Ex Upgrade, they sent a Band type clap that I had not used with the Stock Roush Pump.
I had to move the location of the Horns, per VMP install guide on the initially install, , so that area was ready for the upgraded pump with using the VMP band clamp.
I must say that VMP's location is perfect as the pump shoots right into the inlet of their triple pass Heat Exchanger.
Pictures from earlier post may show that.
Sponsored