Sponsored

Intercooler necessary ?

J_MENIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I don't track my car and probably won't. I was wondering do i even need an intercooler? I have a tune, intake and cat-back, but does it make that much of a difference if I only do ocassional "street pulls".
Sponsored

Tucsonturbos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost
not at all.... i had a stock intercooler for a while to gauge it and for 1 or 2 pulls every 30min made no difference then my MAP intercooler. granted the MAP cooled down a lot fast and didnt heat up as quickly, the stock is good for daily with pulls every now and then. If you want to look for big power then you should definately upgrade but it does the job if you dont hoon it on your drives.

Tucsonturbos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost
do you notice any timing pulled? or any min knock counts? my stock IC had more max knock counts but no min knock count when changing

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
Yeah I'd pick it up since it can only help your car especially in hot ass CA

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Mine seemed to have picked up alot of response from the MAP IC down low. On a top speed run on the autobahn the power difference is very noticeable on the top end as the stock would start pulling power after a few minutes.
The stock one is very restrictive, the differences in charge temps is huge however. I would see temps 30-50c above ambient with the stocker, If I beat on the car hard enough now with the MAP IC I might be able to get it 10c above ambient.
I don't even consider an intercooler upgrade optional on this car, like a catch can it is mandatory!

Sponsored

show7ime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang
Mandatory is a strong word. Suggested? Yea.

Environmental factors and how you drive the car differentiate per driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmorningstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
The factory intercooler is barely adequate for a stock car, after one pull it is heat soaked. It should be the first upgrade on your Ecoboost.....

-Matt
2015 EBM PP.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Cars with 7-10 psi gets heat soaked I can't imagine what's gonna happen with 20 psi in the middle of summer.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Mandatory is a strong word. Suggested? Yea.

Environmental factors and how you drive the car differentiate per driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree it's a strong word which is why I used it.

When your car is pulling timing on a 75-80 degree day almost as soon as you roll into boost on the highway, changing the Intercooler is what i would call mandatory.

I am not an engineer, but i was studying to become one, before I changed to IT. After pulling off the stock IC and downpipe I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that there was restriction engineered into them at cost. The Intercooler is one of the ways Ford sandbagged the Eco. I will create a thread detailing that later but every other Ecoboost engine in the ford lineup has better designed intercoolers.

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
^^^^^^^ my ATM made all the difference in the world, and if for no other reason than consistency in the car it's the right choice. Even before I owned a turbo mustang back in high school my buddy had a Mitsubishi Eclipse turbo, even then in 97 the intercooler was an upgrade s the turbo guys were doing at the time. It's proven, period!!

Sponsored

jjsotolongo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Even if you only do an occasional street pull you will have timing being pulled from the stock IC. I'm constantly watching my CAT and I can hit 140* in one pull. Not to mention the stock IC actually stays around 100* just cruising around. ECU pulls timing at anything over 100* so yes you will notice a difference since you are actually starting any pull with timing reduction already happening.

If you have any data-logging compatible device you can watch this all happen in real time.

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not a mechanic but all you are saying is logical. The sad point is that automatically warranty is void even though you prove that the new IC is superior than stock.

It is more than sure that if some other engine part fail (irelevant of IC) Ford will deny the warranty because if the IC.

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
I'm not a mechanic but all you are saying is logical. The sad point is that automatically warranty is void even though you prove that the new IC is superior than stock.

It is more than sure that if some other engine part fail (irelevant of IC) Ford will deny the warranty because if the IC.
Not true one bit, I just had my turbo replaced under warranty with my ATM fmic sticking out the front. I have a removed grill and it's in plain sight. Everything was covered they didn't say a word. A fmic is like a second intake, what are they going to void?

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
US is completely another planet in terms of warranty and support.
Sponsored