Sponsored

Intercooler

Darnellbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost premium pony package
Ecoboost owners, is there any benefits to an aftermarket intercooler for such a little turbo/engine?

what are your experiences and recommendations if you think youve gained something from it!
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
absolutely. any intercooler, even a 100 dollar china clone one bay is vastly superior to OEM stock. On one WOT pull, you'll be heat soaking, losing top end power, can't cool efficinectly enough. aftermarket, whether stock location (oversized) or a full frontal race one, both will provide much better, power, cooler temps, and you will be consistently able to pull, and pull, and pull.

OEM, after one pull, the next pull will be weak, aftermarket, you can do multiple pulls wot's and should feel good each time. it won't "add" horsepower, on one pull, but it'll keep your car from pulling power, during/after that pull.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

Darnellbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost premium pony package

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Oem is perfectly fine. Possibly even better than aftermarket as it doesn’t heat soak. People argue longevity of metal out weighs heat soak

All you need is an intercooler that works with oem pipes,

I’ve learned this though. Cvfab has 2 intercoolers from reading their post. Stock location unit, works with oem charge pipes, direct plug play. (I have the Cpe version of this) and works with my aftermarket Cpe pipes and oem pipes

The cvfab race unit, larger unit, I read you basically need their charge pipes as it’s hard to fit oem over their charge pipe ends.

But Cpe and cvfab street, both work in stock location, same as mishimoto, and any other cheap China clone.

Back to oem vs aftermarket, people argue oem gets brittle and can leak/crack overtime. I got charge pipes because I needed the cold side to use my hks bov. Or I’d be using oem imo.

If ya got the money and want to spend it go ahead but oem is just fine for our cars

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Piping kit not necessary, blow off valve not necessary, intercooler very necessary. You will notice right away that the motor is more consistent and most aftermarket tuners won't even touch your car until you install some version of an intercooler that is not OEM.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Ecoboost owners, is there any benefits to an aftermarket intercooler for such a little turbo/engine?

what are your experiences and recommendations if you think youve gained something from it!
This little engine generates an insane amount of heat. In fact, no matter how fast you make these motors, they will always be hamstrung by heat management to a degree. The intercoolers job is making that degree the smallest possible. So, yes there is a benefit and many would argue, including myself, they are the most critical modification one can do to this car.

If you still have the stock unit and your car is up to normal operating temp in summer months, your intercooler will be heat soaked within a few red lights.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It's the one MUST DO fix unless all you do it's putz around at 25mph in parades. It's really quite amazing how BAD the factory unit is.
Sponsored