Sponsored

I love the mustang…but…

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
My only gripe with the interior is that on cold days my dash creaks/ rattles. It’s still a great car but it just reminds me that it’s still a Ford.

food_fanaticz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue GT Premium
I feel like this isn’t a mustang specific issue. I’m sure across every car forum folks are having a similar discussion or sharing similar concerns unfortunately. Especially with the current climate of manufacturing, its volume over quality which is a shame. I hope the dealer/ford is able to make it right for you
True. All these cars are assembly line made so definitely volume over quality is emphasized. There's a reason for all these factory (and extended) warranties. My previous car was a honda civic and paint was bad from the factory, didn't find out until a few years later when I noticed the paint started peeling and fading on the entire car. Honda issued a recall for it, never got it done though my fault. Later as it aged, electronics went bad the passenger window stopped working and audio.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
I can deal with squeaks and rattles, but uneven panel gaps are unacceptable.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
I can deal with squeaks and rattles, but uneven panel gaps are unacceptable.
The rattles are so bad that I have to turn the radio up to around 12 to drown them out, lol. I’d rather have an easier un-even panel issue, but that’s just me.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miguel
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang Ecoboost
True. All these cars are assembly line made so definitely volume over quality is emphasized. There's a reason for all these factory (and extended) warranties. My previous car was a honda civic and paint was bad from the factory, didn't find out until a few years later when I noticed the paint started peeling and fading on the entire car. Honda issued a recall for it, never got it done though my fault. Later as it aged, electronics went bad the passenger window stopped working and audio.
Oh yeah Honda paint is pretty bad, especially on white cars and it’s a known issue. Going into my first ford I invested in the ESP because I knew at some point I’d need to use it

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I feel like this isn’t a mustang specific issue. I’m sure across every car forum folks are having a similar discussion or sharing similar concerns unfortunately. Especially with the current climate of manufacturing, its volume over quality which is a shame. I hope the dealer/ford is able to make it right for you
I agree completely.
Here's an article on a Tesla Plaid that cost nearly 3 times a Mustang GT. The litney of complaints sounds nearly identical.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/insideevs.com/news/535014/tesla-models-plaid-build-quality/amp/.
And what about reliability? There are several luxury brands where owners routinely trade before the warranty expires simply because they cannot be trusted after it expires.
And the notion that this is a new thing is ridiculous. There was a time, not all that long ago, that a vehicle with 50k miles was considered nearing the end of it's life and one with 100k was almost unheard of. Yet, today, my '12 Edge has 195k on the clock and I expect at least another 100k with no significant problems.
Also, several of the OP's complaints are not necessarily factory/ build quality issues. Stuff like dash and paint scratches could easily happen during transport and might better be considered as a failure of the dealer in prepping it for delivery.

BlueHPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HPP/HP 6MT, 03 Boxster S, 97 M3
I have over 170 autocross runs and 80 minutes of track time in the 15,700 miles I have put on the car. Only one warranty issue the fmic foam gasket in between the IC and radiator slumped down. Easy fix. No rattles or other issues. Only thing that really has me asking what was Ford engineering thinking is the reverse flow for the brake rotor vents. All the Euro cars and the Brembo rotors have the cooling airflow inside to out to cool the inner side and both sides of the internal rotor venting with cool air. But the standard GT rotors that come on the eco boost HPP are outside vented. This makes cooling the rotors almost impossible When tracking our 3600+ pound cars. Really like the car but rotor vents are wtf.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
The rattles are so bad that I have to turn the radio up to around 12 to drown them out, lol. I’d rather have an easier un-even panel issue, but that’s just me.
Wow, yeah, that's pretty terrible.
That's with an untouched interior?? Brand new car? If so, that's pretty poor. I would be pretty pissed off as well.

Good luck man.

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
The thing is,..........it doesn't just start/stop with the Mustang.
The new Raptors have issues and some F150s have the gap issues. Imagine buying a new Raptor at 75k and it won't start the next day?!?! LOL
I'd be swinging at the fences. lol

Not sure if it's a "machines need to be calibrated at the factory issue" or just workers slapping parts on a vehicle, hoping for the best. Maybe both? lol Who knows.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I find it really hard to keep paying the money they are asking for higher tier trims like the 400 or 401 group. This is the third S500 I’ve had that’s new with a list of issues, mainly with the interior.

This 2021 GT I bought a month ago has interior rattles,
scratches/defects on trim, scratched side mirror and passenger door glass, among some other issues and it’s only a 301a group car. As of right now, there are talks with the dealer doing a buy back.

I get no car is perfect but these are notorious for interior quality control issues.

I guess I’m just curious about what makes you continue to spend your hard earned on these cars knowing the issues they have?
I don’t know if I would ever buy a new mustang. I am perfectly fine with buying used ones though.

I’m my head I can’t justify spending $50k on a brand new car when I could spend $50k on a better used car. Or just spend $40k on a slightly older slightly used mustang, then have $10k in mods (supercharger).

Easy for me to buy my 2015 GT with 91k miles for $20k. It was a good price for an amazing car. Ya it has a lot of miles, the paint needs work (lots of rock chips and swirls), and the wheels were curbed to shit. But I have a 435hp amazing car. I can fix the paint if it bugs me, I can buy new wheels when it bugs me. But it doesn’t and other than that the car is in really good condition. And I can spend all my money making it go faster.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t know if I would ever buy a new mustang. I am perfectly fine with buying used ones though.

I’m my head I can’t justify spending $50k on a brand new car when I could spend $50k on a better used car. Or just spend $40k on a slightly older slightly used mustang, then have $10k in mods (supercharger).

Easy for me to buy my 2015 GT with 91k miles for $20k. It was a good price for an amazing car. Ya it has a lot of miles, the paint needs work (lots of rock chips and swirls), and the wheels were curbed to shit. But I have a 435hp amazing car. I can fix the paint if it bugs me, I can buy new wheels when it bugs me. But it doesn’t and other than that the car is in really good condition. And I can spend all my money making it go faster.
I’ve learned my lesson on buying a used sports car with a manual transmission, lol.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, yeah, that's pretty terrible.
That's with an untouched interior?? Brand new car? If so, that's pretty poor. I would be pretty pissed off as well.

Good luck man.
Yes sir, brand new untouched. I even had them not “clean” it when I bought it because I wanted to do it. The only thing done interior was the tint from the dealer, and they managed to fuck that up by scratching the window.

Last edited:

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
That was kind of my point, and I’m glad someone else got it. To me it’s the principle of the matter. But, I guess that’s the “boomer” way of thinking lol.
Nothing "boomer" about that, if I'm paying $40k+ for a car I expect good QC, especially when I can get a $25k Mazda/Honda/Toyota with excellent QC.
Sponsored