Sponsored

How much difference does a supercharger make ?

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
You learn to roll in to the power, regardless of the tires on the street. Smash the go pedal and yep you will be spinning tires.

How do you guys put the power down? Stock power on a 2020 6spd burns the tires at the top of 1st and 2nd. I’m sure better tires would make a big difference...that said, my dad has a 2007 GT500 with just an intake/tune (probably not even 500 wheel hp) and fresh 305 Michelin PSS aren’t enough to use all of that power.
Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
You learn to roll in to the power, regardless of the tires on the street. Smash the go pedal and yep you will be spinning tires.
LOL... yeah. Even my NA/low compression, carbureted small block will blow off the tires if you just mash the pedal. With the GT500 especially, even when carefully rolling into the power, the tires were overwhelmed at WOT in the lower gears.

As cool as superchargers are, I'm not sure how much quicker they will be on the street compared to a well set up NA car. This comment doesn't apply to "honk honk honk go" roll racing nonsense from higher speeds (since the boosted power will be much more valuable as speeds climb) and I'm sure that people will come up with exceptions but I'm speaking in generalities here. Stop light to stoplight, the extra power isn't that useful.

As a general rule, a relatively heavy car like our Mustangs, there seems to be a soft-performance limit with a front engine/2wd layout on street tires, somewhere in the low 11s. To go much quicker, you need to drop a bunch of weight or run drag tires.

You don't need 850hp to get to the low 11s...Actually, a gen 3 Coyote with an A10 and E85 is pretty much there.

Of course, if you're building a car specifically for the track with appropriate tires, the supercharger will earn its keep. On the street, not so sure. Even in stock form, these cars are powerful enough that it comes down to driver and traction more than peak power numbers.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Hey guys, so I'm looking at Supercharger kits. And I just want to know, how big of a difference does it make in the ride after they installed? How noticeable are they? Is the difference actually night and day ? Can you justify the price for them
Night and day difference for sure. There are more entry kits like Roush and Edelbrock, then there are more upgradable kits like the whipples, VMPs, Prochargers, Paxtons/Vortechs which can squeeze a lot more horsepower. We sell them all here at www.lethalperformance.com

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
The speed at which you end up in the ditch is greatly increased.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Just make sure ... when you add that power, you are also addressing ways to keep the power to the ground.

Power is fun ... but spinning isn't :(

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
How do you guys put the power down? Stock power on a 2020 6spd burns the tires at the top of 1st and 2nd. I’m sure better tires would make a big difference...that said, my dad has a 2007 GT500 with just an intake/tune (probably not even 500 wheel hp) and fresh 305 Michelin PSS aren’t enough to use all of that power.
my 315/35/17 toyo r888r has been hooking pretty well on the street with my odin supercharger kit on my 2018.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
my 315/35/17 toyo r888r has been hooking pretty well on the street with my odin supercharger kit on my 2018.
They lasted one summer for me.

Sponsored

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
How much weight does a complete kit like a Whipple add?
Does your front sit lower after the install?
Do you notice the handling being more front heavy?

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Highly recommend the Roush. Watch the the Brenspeed video on YouTube. Great power, safe tune and warranty up to $11.5.

S550AC11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
17 PP GT
The weight is significant with the whipple gen 5 stage 2. My first ride in the car felt like I mounted a snow plow. I have Steeda minimum drop springs and shocks and thought it'd work great in preparation for boost, but I was dead wrong. NA it felt incredibly balanced and controlled while looking great too. I'm in process to move to a coil over setup so everything in front is fully adjustable.

As far as power it's also night and day difference. 435 NA with headers and E tune to 804 hp sae on E85, limited by rpm on dyno do to speed at 7650. Power was still climbing. 612 rwtq at 5000 ish rpm so the power band is really broad. I run standard 3.87 pulley which is 11psi. Big block mid range with top end of good centri setup.

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
Huge difference, fast and powerful. When you think of the cost per HP, power adders are legit! Let us know if we can help! www.hypermotive.com #veteranowned
Sponsored