Sponsored

How many track sessions between oil changes?

zsommer79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beater
So I ran eight 20 minutes sessions couple weeks ago with oil temps hitting 250-260 each run. Oil was changed day before and running Amsoil 5-50. Would I need to change the oil for the track this weekend or should I be ok to put another 8 sessions then change?

Also the the car didn't burn any oil and was still full after the event.
Sponsored

Understeer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Lead Foot Grey GT350, 67 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
^This guy knows things...

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
But then we get videos on how to fix them and make them more better

Sponsored

11GT50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Oil change after every HPDE event
Were you changing yours after every event when your car was still largely stock? We certainly can't forget that you drive the living snot out of your car!

I typically change mine after every other event.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
But then we get videos on how to fix them and make them more better
Where I break them again :crackup::crackup::crackup:

Were you changing yours after every event when your car was still largely stock? We certainly can't forget that you drive the living snot out of your car!

I typically change mine after every other event.
I didn't at first, but I started to. It's mostly due to temps. I can't remember the specifics, but it breaks down much more quickly once it gets hot. I want to say over 250* or so.

I think @oldbmwfan had some insight on that part, IRRC

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
Going fast costs money people.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Oil change when the computer says so, which accounts for revs and time better than the “it’s cheap insurance” group. Otherwise, I have a 8 year warranty and am not interested in dumping hundreds down the drain and using more oil than need be.

not Trying to be an ass, but the computer accts for revs and use and has told me to change as early as 4 months and as late at 10 months depending on my usage.people are free to spend their own money how they see fit, it’d just rather put it toward tires since those those don’t last more than a few track days and you can’t argue with chords.

Sponsored

11GT50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Oil change when the computer says so, which accounts for revs and time better than the “it’s cheap insurance” group. Otherwise, I have a 8 year warranty and am not interested in dumping hundreds down the drain and using more oil than need be.

not Trying to be an ass, but the computer accts for revs and use and has told me to change as early as 4 months and as late at 10 months depending on my usage.
I wouldn't rely solely on that algorithm when it comes to track use. The only concrete way of knowing for sure the condition of the oil would be to sample it after a track day. I did it a few times using Amsoil SS 5w-30 in my old 2011 GT and I there was no need for changing it after every event. In fact, in that car I went 3 events. However, I am a lot more aggressive now and the GT350 is a much different animal than the old GT.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

not Trying to be an ass, but the computer accts for revs and use and has told me to change as early as 4 months and as late at 10 months depending on my usage.people are free to spend their own money how they see fit, it’d just rather put it toward tires since those those don’t last more than a few track days and you can’t argue with chords.
As an extra data point, I changed my oil every 4-10 running hours (depended on the weekend) over the course of last year. Engine had 43 hours on it. The engine oil at 10 hours had substantial more breakdown than the 4 hour oil. Blackstone recommended that be the longest I run the oil if I could help it. Guess what, I never touched the computer the whole year and it still said I had over 60% oil life even after 6 oil changes.

I'd consider your approach very carefully. Personally, I plan to continue to change the oil regularly. Just because I can wear my underwear for a week straight doesn't mean I want to or should.

Byronj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2013 Boss 302
As an extra data point, I changed my oil every 4-10 running hours (depended on the weekend) over the course of last year. Engine had 43 hours on it. The engine oil at 10 hours had substantial more breakdown than the 4 hour oil. Blackstone recommended that be the longest I run the oil if I could help it. Guess what, I never touched the computer the whole year and it still said I had over 60% oil life even after 6 oil changes.

I'd consider your approach very carefully. Personally, I plan to continue to change the oil regularly. Just because I can wear my underwear for a week straight doesn't mean I want to or should.

I’m with @honeybadger here. I changed my oil 6 times and never touched my oil reset and the car said I had 60% life. Most of my street driving is only to and from the track

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Where I break them again :crackup::crackup::crackup:

I didn't at first, but I started to. It's mostly due to temps. I can't remember the specifics, but it breaks down much more quickly once it gets hot. I want to say over 250* or so.

I think @oldbmwfan had some insight on that part, IRRC
I'll have to remember whatever smart thing I might have said once, lol. I do recall looking up the viscosity and shear numbers on our oil at different temps. The factory stuff holds up pretty well on track, all things considered.

I only do a few track days per season in the R, and I've been putting ~2500 miles/year total on the car, so I've just been doing annual oil changes since my initial break-in change (at ~1k miles). Blackstone results have been consistently very good, so 2500 miles including 4-5 hours on track is well within the safety margin per my use. Also note my motor has never consumed a measurable amount of oil.
Sponsored