How many of you don't consume oil?

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
Just wondering how many of you don't consume oil? I see a lot of talk on here and it seems everyone consumes oil except for me and like 5 other people. I have a little over 4K miles on my car and I have yet to consume oil. I also pull 1-1.5oz out of my passenger side catch can. For the sake of data and science, I'd love to hear from some others.

1. How many miles on your current engine? ~4000
2. Have you ever had your engine replaced, and if so why? No
3. Do you frequently track your car? No
4. What is the date of manufacture of your car? 6/2017
5. Have you had any engine mods/upgrades done, OPG's, valves, cams etc? No
6. How much oil do you pull out of your catch cans? 1-1.5oz per 1000 miles

I'm thinking maybe there's a correlation between when an engine was made and whether or not it consumes oil. Or maybe it's random. That's what I aim to figure out.
Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
This could go on and on like the blown engine thread. Simple answer is mileage doesn't matter, how you drive it doesn't matter, date made doesn't matter. mods don't matter, track car or not doesn't matter. Totally random. Some quit after awhile or use less regardless of how its driven and some start using more. And some never ever use any oil.

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
I only have 3500 miles and I have not lost any so far. Still haven’t changed my oil yet.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Association doesn't mean causation. This would basically be an ongoing version of the blown engine thread, and I'm hoping it doesn't.

I only have 3500 miles and I have not lost any so far. Still haven’t changed my oil yet.
Wrong forum my friend. This is for the Voodoo.

Please put this thread out of its misery...

OP
OP
MikeMM

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
This could go on and on like the blown engine thread. Simple answer is mileage doesn't matter, how you drive it doesn't matter, date made doesn't matter. mods don't matter, track car or not doesn't matter. Totally random. Some quit after awhile or use less regardless of how its driven and some start using more. And some never ever use any oil.
Right. I'm not trying to debate what does or doesn't cause oil consumption. I just want to see how many 350 owners out there don't consume oil, more or less. The data I'm looking for is purely for the sake of curiosity.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The catch can is also totally irrelevant towards using oil or how much.

And I think you may find many will not respond out of fear of jinxing oneself.

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
I have owned my 2016 GT350 now with 15,000+ miles since Dec 2015.
Changed oil every 3,500 miles, (Except first one at 1,000 miles).
I have Never had to add any oil between changes.

1. How many miles on your current engine? ~15,000
4. What is the date of manufacture of your car? 12/02/2015
6. How much oil do you pull out of your catch cans? Don't have catch cans

Last edited:

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Not much to even comment about but it's Less than a loose Pushrod, more than a tight 2v.

Oil consumption doesn't matter that much unless it's excessive. If you're over a Quart per oil change, you'll probably be changing out Cats earlier or not getting the last 15k miles from your 200k mile motor. In reality most new or second owners won't have to deal with the end problems.

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Based on the numerous posts/threads/write-ups/etc. that I've seen, it seems the general consensus on the cause of the variance in oil consumption among owners is driving style. High rpm with low load seems to be what causes the most oil consumption. Our motors have low tension rings which inherently allows blow-by so oil consumption is a normal trait of these engines. There are some cases where owners have had legit issues with oil consumption but for the most part I think it all comes down to how you run the motor. I bet if a "my engine consumes no oil" owner swapped rides with an owner who reported 1qt per 1k miles of consumption, the car with "no oil consumption" would magically start consuming oil, lol.

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
Mileage, modification and misuse are all variables in engine failures. Here's my beef with all the motor debate. The Voodoo is a high-stung motor. Use it as designed and it will eventulally wear beyond design limits and/or fail. Drag car motors are torn down after every run to replace "worn" parts. NASCAR motors and the powerplants in F-1 cars have limited lifespans. The Voodoo engine is no defier of physics and statistics. Use it as designed and it will eventually "fail". Ford knew this would happen...they made extras.

I am frequently reminded how powerful this engine is by people that I introduce to/drive in my stock GT350R. They ask repeatedly if it's stock. Yep, stock. 8,250 RPM redline? Yep. Stock exhaust? Yep. It's amazing from the factory.

Short of FA, this motor is at it's horsepower limit. Use anything at it's limit and it will fail (even if preventatively maintained). I had numberous squadron mates jettison their F-16C due to catastrophic F110-GE-100/129 failures. $h!t happens...press.

Do your research before purchase, use the motor, expect failures.

Sponsored

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
ive had my 350 since the end of august and i daily it.

nearly 1500 miles since i purchased it and i check the oil a couple weeks ago and it was at the top mark. ill check it again today at lunch and report back. i bought an extra quart at ford when i bought the car just in case but its sitting in my living room collecting dust right now.

my car has 16,XXX miles on it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Just wondering how many of you don't consume oil? I see a lot of talk on here and it seems everyone consumes oil except for me and like 5 other people. I have a little over 4K miles on my car and I have yet to consume oil. I also pull 1-1.5oz out of my passenger side catch can. For the sake of data and science, I'd love to hear from some others.

I'm thinking maybe there's a correlation between when an engine was made and whether or not it consumes oil. Or maybe it's random. That's what I aim to figure out.
1. How many miles on your current engine? ~30,000
3. Do you frequently track your car? No, 2 or 3 times per year.
4. What is the date of manufacture of your car? I purchased it in November 2015, will edit to add.
6. How much oil do you pull out of your catch cans? Very little. I don't even check them frequently anymore.

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase

1. How many miles on your current engine? ~4000
4. What is the date of manufacture of your car? 6/2017
6. How much oil do you pull out of your catch cans? 1-1.5oz per 1000 miles

1. How many miles on your current engine? ~6500
3. Do you frequently track your car? Yes, 6x/year
4. What is the date of manufacture of your car? June 2016, is a 2017 model
5. Have you had any engine mods/upgrades done, OPG's, valves, cams etc? Catch cans
6. How much oil do you pull out of your catch cans? ZERO

Engine consumes no noticeable amount of oil.

OP
OP
MikeMM

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
1. How many miles on your current engine? ~30,000
3. Do you frequently track your car? No, 2 or 3 times per year.
4. What is the date of manufacture of your car? I purchased it in November 2015, will edit to add.
6. How much oil do you pull out of your catch cans? Very little. I don't even check them frequently anymore.
1. How many miles on your current engine? ~6500
3. Do you frequently track your car? Yes, 6x/year
4. What is the date of manufacture of your car? June 2016, is a 2017 model
5. Have you had any engine mods/upgrades done, OPG's, valves, cams etc? Catch cans
6. How much oil do you pull out of your catch cans? ZERO

Engine consumes no noticeable amount of oil.
I'm glad at least a few of you are willing to add some constructive feedback to my question and help satiate my curiosity. Like I said in my earlier post, I'm not trying to start a debate, I just want some solid data from the community.

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
A friend of mine just got rid of a 2017 GT350 R.it had about 7500 miles on it. It dranked 13 quarts of oil since his last oil change from Ford.sad indeed.
Sponsored