Sponsored

How loud is Active Exhaust?

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
I searched the threads on AE and found nothing about comparative sounds, just wiring and aftermarket version discussion.

I'm ordering a a '22 Monday (barring him telling me there is a year's wait for production) and am thinking about this option. I have a base '19 GT, how much louder is the rumble?

Also, I'm going to end up with the 9 speaker package I'm sure, but just so I know what to expect, is it decent?

My '19 was a spur of the moment purchase and it's very basic, need a few more options while keeping it stock.

Thanks for the input!
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Active Exhaust isn’t very loud as it comes from the factory. You’ll have to add an h-pipe if you want that old school muscle car sound and slightly above medium level loudness.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I searched the threads on AE and found nothing about comparative sounds, just wiring and aftermarket version discussion.

I'm ordering a a '22 Monday (barring him telling me there is a year's wait for production) and am thinking about this option. I have a base '19 GT, how much louder is the rumble?

Also, I'm going to end up with the 9 speaker package I'm sure, but just so I know what to expect, is it decent?

My '19 was a spur of the moment purchase and it's very basic, need a few more options while keeping it stock.

Thanks for the input!
My observation is the active exhaust in sport mode or track is clearly louder than the stock non-active exhaust. I think it also has a nicer, less tinny tone. It's not as loud, however, as many aftermarket systems but it can be made louder by adding a resonator delete X or H-pipe.

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1,1986 SVO, 2020 Ridgeline(SOLD!)
IIRC it's so loud that you can't get it in Europe as it doesn't meet their noise standards.
Your idea of loud vs mine or anyone else's is different also.
There must be someone near you with the AE that could give you a ride.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Active Exhaust isn’t very loud as it comes from the factory. You’ll have to add an h-pipe if you want that old school muscle car sound and slightly above medium level loudness.
Normal in Active Exhaust is roughly equivalent to the standard GT exhaust. Sport mode is definitely louder and track mode could be ticket territory in some locals. A X or H pipe with definitely change the tone and make it a little louder. That said I enjoy mine just as it is. A must have option unless you plan to replace your entire exhaust.

As far as the 9 speaker system, decent is a good word for talk radio or the news. For music it is bare adequate.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
All the stereo options in the Mustang suck. If you are serious about sound quality you'll be upgrading everything beyond the head unit. Did you get the 301A package? Do they still call it that? The one with the 8" touch screen.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
You 100% want AE. It's my favorite feature by far. Track mode is plenty loud, couldn't imagine wanting louder. I do also find myself cruising in quiet mode more often lately too which is a great option to have.

OP
OP
Spartan1

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
Normal in Active Exhaust is roughly equivalent to the standard GT exhaust. Sport mode is definitely louder and track mode could be ticket territory in some locals. A X or H pipe with definitely change the tone and make it a little louder. That said I enjoy mine just as it is. A must have option unless you plan to replace your entire exhaust.

As far as the 9 speaker system, decent is a good word for talk radio or the news. For music it is bare adequate.

That's exactly what I needed to know, thank you. Sounds like AE will be on the list, just want a little more bark occasionally than what the standard has, which is still a nice growl. I don't do mods (outside of painted calipers), want to keep it bone stock for now, and didn't want to order it if the loudest setting was the equivalent to what I have now.

Looks like I'll be ordering a premium as I want leather, so I guess that's the 400A package.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Track mode is loud enough to get black flagged at some track days. It is definitely louder than a non-AE Mustang.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
IIRC it's so loud that you can't get it in Europe as it doesn't meet their noise standards.
Your idea of loud vs mine or anyone else's is different also.
There must be someone near you with the AE that could give you a ride.
Incorrect. In fact the active exhaust is standard here :)

Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
You also have quiet mode as a selection.

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
That's exactly what I needed to know, thank you. Sounds like AE will be on the list, just want a little more bark occasionally than what the standard has, which is still a nice growl. I don't do mods (outside of painted calipers), want to keep it bone stock for now, and didn't want to order it if the loudest setting was the equivalent to what I have now.

Looks like I'll be ordering a premium as I want leather, so I guess that's the 400A package.
I think you will like AE. I have it and love it. I mostly use Sport mode, but when you have the car idling and you change the mode, you can tell the difference in the sound. Sure makes the car fun. As far as the radio, I would go for the B&O optional stereo. It has 12 speakers and sounds pretty good IMO.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
The 9 speaker system is weak. I've replaced every speaker but the A pillar tweeters and it only got marginally better. If you're placing a factory order get the 12 speaker upgrade.

I don't have the AE so I can't comment on that. But there is a S550 Mustang in my area and it is the loudest car I've ever heard. And frankly it sounds like sh!t. I'm guessing it has aftermarket exhaust because I can't see Ford putting something that sounds that bad on a car. But everyone's taste is different so maybe he likes it.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase

I have premium with 400A but I also have the Cali special package so my seats are unique. I believe the leather seating options differ between 400A and 401A with premium package. The build configurator on fords website will help show what you can get. 400A is also with analog gauges. Not the digital display. As far as active valve exhaust, it’s great. I have mine programmed for quiet mode from late night to 9am. After that it defaults to normal. Normal has a nice growl, it’s not obnoxious and you can hear yourself in the cabin. I have not used sport or track yet but I know from other posts that they are louder. AVE is a good option.