Sponsored

How long do you plan on keeping your S550?

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
If the 7th generation i like it i will sell my mustang for the new one, if i dont like it ill just keep it till a new model that i like arrives.
I was a potential costumer for mustangs since the year 2001 but the s550 was the first mustang i really liked.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Well....with the way Ford is jacking up the prices on these cars, they're really not the value they were just a few years ago.

Specifically, the Performance Pack (which is a necessity to me) is waaaay to expensive now. Ford has gotten too greedy.

Anyways...I'll keep it for as long as it's a viable means of daily transportation. Until the costs of repair get out of hand.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I'm 54, and my car sees only 1-2K miles a year. I plan on keeping into retirement, unless nature has other plans.

Last edited:

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I don't have a plan. I haven't kept new cars more than 2 or 3 years but this is a hobby car and I have sunk money into the suspension, wheels/tires and a stereo so that could change things. The other factor that could influence my decision to sell would be finding another car that I want more.

Solteka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wai
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost 10A
I plan on keeping mine for a while, at least 10 years, because the car is a tough cookie that can take all the hard driving like a champ and take me to places no problem.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
We don't know if dual injection will fix the problem. I don't want to test this with my bank account. The higher the compression, the more wear and tear.
There never was a problem. There's nothing to fix. There's never been any carbon issues with GENIIIs, and it's been 3 years now.

And higher compression doesn't mean more wear & tear. It means more power and efficiency. Wear & tear comes from hammering the engine. It's YOU, and how you drive the car. Not the compression ratio.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I'm keeping mine until I drop dead, then the kids can fight over who gets it. If I like the new ones, I might just buy another one in 24 or 25, then when I die they can fight over who gets the convertible and who gets the coupe.

Paris MkVI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium convertible, 2015 Escape 2.0 Titanium
Vehicle Showcase
It's not particularly hard either.
Perhaps not for you, my friend. But it does exceed my skill set by quite a bit.

I don't understand the complaint about the timing chain.
Specifically, it's the chains that drive the overhead cams. The tensioners for them gradually fail (nylon plastic; they begin to disintegrate). You get a lot of chain slap you can hear on cold starts. These are interference engines, and a cam chain failing can basically mean a new short block. Ultimately the repair costs exceeded the value of the car.

I do know someone who did the work themselves. But it is way out of my skill set, time, garage space, and available tools. Any repair that means I have to get a beater to drive while I work on a car is not an answer for me. But anyone who has the ability - go for it! :)

P2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red Mustang GT Premium
I bought my first Mustang GT Premium in March 2015. I just traded it in for a 2020 GT Premium back on January 21, 2021. So I kept the first one almost 6 years.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Perhaps not for you, my friend. But it does exceed my skill set by quite a bit.

Specifically, it's the chains that drive the overhead cams. The tensioners for them gradually fail (nylon plastic; they begin to disintegrate). You get a lot of chain slap you can hear on cold starts. These are interference engines, and a cam chain failing can basically mean a new short block. Ultimately the repair costs exceeded the value of the car.

I do know someone who did the work themselves. But it is way out of my skill set, time, garage space, and available tools. Any repair that means I have to get a beater to drive while I work on a car is not an answer for me. But anyone who has the ability - go for it! :)

I quite understand timing chains and interference engines.
I don't understand bitching about something that should be considered a maintenance item. It's like bitching about changing the oil. It's just something that needs to be done.
Whether you chose to do it or have it done is irrelevant, it needs done.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
On average I've kept each car I've owned for over 7.5 years. I was planning to keep my Mustang (bought new) for ~10 years, I liked it that much. But, then I test drove a '21 Camaro ZL1...so, I ordered a 2021 ZL1 in Dec. It's been built and was loaded on a train to be transported yesterday. So, I'll be selling the 'Stang in a few weeks after 2.5 years, which seems short for me since I've never kept a car for less than 6 years. When my son asked me which one I would drive more if I kept both, my answer without hesitation was the ZL1.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
There never was a problem. There's nothing to fix. There's never been any carbon issues with GENIIIs, and it's been 3 years now.

And higher compression doesn't mean more wear & tear. It means more power and efficiency. Wear & tear comes from hammering the engine. It's YOU, and how you drive the car. Not the compression ratio.
You're discussing the short run. But if there wasn't a problem, then why did they add injection directly and also at the port? Also, compression does affect wear and tear. Parts moving faster over the same given distsnce means friction is occuring more often. Gasing it just makes it go by faster.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
If I can afford to keep it forever, then I will. However, I really want a track car that doesn't weigh almost 4000 lbs so I guess I'll keep it till I can afford a Corvette
Sponsored