Sponsored

How Functional is a Functional Rear Wing?

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I dont have much to add other than what's already been said but man if I could afford an AJ wing, I would do that over anything..

Companies that include data are:
APR (as mentioned)
AJ(as mentioned)
Klaus Composites
9Lives Racing (this is my pick for cost efficient and if you dont care about CF)
Verus Engineering
G Stream
Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I dont have much to add other than what's already been said but man if I could afford an AJ wing, I would do that over anything..

Companies that include data are:
APR (as mentioned)
AJ(as mentioned)
Klaus Composites
9Lives Racing (this is my pick for cost efficient and if you dont care about CF)
Verus Engineering
G Stream
+1 on 9Lives Racing! For those of us filthy peasants who can't afford carbon 😆

Though an AJ or RSFuture wing would otherwise be on top of my wishlist.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
even if you are going for looks, IMO the Mustang looks way better and more refined , and sleek without the sofa on the trunk look. LOL
Serious Track guys, totally.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
+1 on 9Lives Racing!! For those of us filthy peasants who can't afford carbon 😆
lol many pennies saved going this direction.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
even if you are going for looks, IMO the Mustang looks way better and more refined , and sleek without the sofa on the trunk look. LOL
Serious Track guys, totally.
that's true but....

_102441617_gettyimages-991026212.jpg

"I just put a wing on my car...so I can give you a ride in my race car"

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
We don't have data to share but we have used that wing in many race applications - we currently have it on our 2018 HPDE car - we previously had it on our #20 track car but we switched to a wing with more downforce:

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-2018-q500-hpde-car

The racing wing will give you a little more downforce at speeds that exceed what is allowed on public roads.

TJ

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
We don't have data to share but we have used that wing in many race applications - we currently have it on our 2018 HPDE car - we previously had it on our #20 track car but we switched to a wing with more downforce:

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-2018-q500-hpde-car

The racing wing will give you a little more downforce at speeds that exceed what is allowed on public roads.

TJ
You have data that you won't share or the data does not exist?

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda has data & it its part of the intellectual properties of the race program.

TJ

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Assuming that Steeda folks know what they are doing and looking at their HPDE car spec, they didn't do anything at the front of this PP1 to balance out the wing. That seems to be a good hint that the wing isn't doing whole lot in terms of actual downforce. Maybe it adds stability at high speed? Don't know.

Putting massively expensive and/or just massive wings and wangs aside, the best option that actually does something seems to be mach1HP/gt500 swing from Ford Performance. At least this is my takeaway from my research.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
that's true but....

_102441617_gettyimages-991026212.jpg

"I just put a wing on my car...so I can give you a ride in my race car"
Her response:

"Ooo la la, stop by In-N-Out to get me a double double and you've got yourself a date."

đŸ€Ł

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Putting massively expensive and/or just massive wings and wangs aside, the best option that actually does something seems to be mach1HP/gt500 swing from Ford Performance. At least this is my takeaway from my research.
Not necessarily if you don’t consider the GTC 200 a “wang”. The APR GTC 200 wing isn’t too bad of an obnoxious wing. If you buy the mounting hardware and uprights from APR which I would expect to be less than $500 and then get an airfoil from 9Lives, you could have a decent kit for under 1000. I believe the gains would be bigger than that of the ford parts but could be wrong. Also that cost may still be more than most are willing to pay

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I'm adding the Ford handling pack front splitter and the Anderson Composite GT500 rear spoiler and gurney flap. I hope that it helps the car's handling, although I typically go about 35 mph around corners.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Not necessarily if you don’t consider the GTC 200 a “wang”. The APR GTC 200 wing isn’t too bad of an obnoxious wing.
I have considered GTC200 as well and this falls into excessively expensive category at least for my wallet. it's also producing less DF than Mach1/GT500 swing from what I was able to collect from internet. I would rather put that money into tires and HPDE events payments, to be honest. it looks very nice though, no argument there

If you buy the mounting hardware and uprights from APR which I would expect to be less than $500 and then get an airfoil from 9Lives, you could have a decent kit for under 1000.
tell me more please 😄

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I have considered GTC200 as well and this falls into excessively expensive category at least for my wallet. it's also producing less DF than Mach1/GT500 swing from what I was able to collect from internet. I would rather put that money into tires and HPDE events payments, to be honest. it looks very nice though, no argument there
Lol. I wasn’t saying that the GTC was a great choice, because I feel as though it is a decent penny for minimal performance. I mentioned it because of the height and that 9 lives uses the same bolt pattern as APR(and Kognition) for their mounts.

tell me more please
This is the route that I am planning to go. I am not crazy about how the 9LR wing mounts for the s550 platform. I prefer how the APR GT250/FP350S mounts on top of the trunk and the uprights. I have been trying to source all the GT250 mounting hardware with plans to buy a “ Build your own” 9LR airfoil (with Singular end plates) to create my own “kit”. Only problem is that APR quoted me $780 for everything minus airfoil and end plates which I understand because the trunk mount is CF. Klaus Composite is local to me and he quoted me $300 for aluminum uprights but the install is more involved. So a few things to consider.

I say all that to say you can buy GTC uprights and all the mounting stuff but use a non CF airfoil and end plates to lower the cost and still have a more efficient wing. Sounds like a lot but not really.

https://9livesracing.com/products/the-builders-big-wang-spec-your-own-size

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Lol. I wasn’t saying that the GTC was a great choice, because I feel as though it is a decent penny for minimal performance. I mentioned it because of the height and that 9 lives uses the same bolt pattern as APR(and Kognition) for their mounts.

This is the route that I am planning to go. I am not crazy about how the 9LR wing mounts for the s550 platform. I prefer how the APR GT250/FP350S mounts on top of the trunk and the uprights. I have been trying to source all the GT250 mounting hardware with plans to buy a “ Build your own” 9LR airfoil (with Singular end plates) to create my own “kit”. Only problem is that APR quoted me $780 for everything minus airfoil and end plates which I understand because the trunk mount is CF. Klaus Composite is local to me and he quoted me $300 for aluminum uprights but the install is more involved. So a few things to consider.

I say all that to say you can buy GTC uprights and all the mounting stuff but use a non CF airfoil and end plates to lower the cost and still have a more efficient wing. Sounds like a lot but not really.

https://9livesracing.com/products/the-builders-big-wang-spec-your-own-size
I didn't know you could do this type of mix and match. Thanks for sharing. If you get this all put together, please share a build post.
Sponsored