Sponsored

How do you go about getting a new GT350 gen 2 VooDoo engine?

ClarksGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 & 2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP
So do you have to go through a ford dealer to get a new voodoo engine if you have a failure or just want an engine on backup? I have my first track day in late august and would like to have a line on a new motor just In case. Mine current gen 1 has 14k miles uses oil I just keep a close eye on it. I bought my car new in 2017 and have 0 plans on ever letting it go so Iā€™d like to get a new motor for down the road or at least know if they will be available later on and how to get one.
thanks !
Sponsored

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
I'm sure your local Ford Dealer will order you a long block. Probably will run you 15 grand.

OP
OP
ClarksGT350

ClarksGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Thank you.!

Sponsored

OP
OP
ClarksGT350

ClarksGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Or you can ship back you old long block for a core reimbursement, am I reading that correctly?

how long would you think these motors will be available down the line ? Is ford good at keeping items like this stockedup for future issues ?

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
They will eventually run out. Just like everything. Someone will start making an aftermarket short block (if they don't already).

It's going to be no different than the Hemi's of the 70's. Or any motor for that matter. I personally wouldn't buy a long block and have it laying around my garage, but that's just me. If you have the means and the room to store it, and its something you really want to do, I say go for it!

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1,1986 SVO, 2020 Ridgeline(SOLD!)
A few months ago I need a new 5.0 short block. Found these guys in northern Vermont. Best price by FAR. I was also able to save money by picking it up myself, only a 400 mile round trip for me and I'm retired so lots of time to do it. They are small and in no mans lands so very LOW overhead.

RPM Engines Shop Tour - RPM Racing Engines (rpmenginesvt.com)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
They will eventually run out. Just like everything. Someone will start making an aftermarket short block (if they don't already).

It's going to be no different than the Hemi's of the 70's. Or any motor for that matter. I personally wouldn't buy a long block and have it laying around my garage, but that's just me. If you have the means and the room to store it, and its something you really want to do, I say go for it!
I also wouldn't buy a long block for that kind of money. My experience is it's not that easy to store and prevent corrosion or other issues long term. Mice love to crawl into small areas and build nests. I have a very low miles engine I built in storage right now, and my plan is to disassemble and go through everything prior to running it.

My recommendation would be to just run your current engine right now and try not to worry. If the engine develops any unusual noises or oil consumption becomes severe, then pull the engine and go through it. That would be a good time to upgrade some parts, possibly. If it were me and I were rebuilding, I would be looking for a better piston/ring combination than the early factory setup. I personally believe the piston skirts in the GT350 are a little fragile, and if the engine is lugged, piston slap and/or oil consumption may result. I also think the piston rings used in the earlier engines are slightly fragile as well.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I also wouldn't buy a long block for that kind of money. My experience is it's not that easy to store and prevent corrosion or other issues long term. Mice love to crawl into small areas and build nests. I have a very low miles engine I built in storage right now, and my plan is to disassemble and go through everything prior to running it.

My recommendation would be to just run your current engine right now and try not to worry. If the engine develops any unusual noises or oil consumption becomes severe, then pull the engine and go through it. That would be a good time to upgrade some parts, possibly. If it were me and I were rebuilding, I would be looking for a better piston/ring combination than the early factory setup. I personally believe the piston skirts in the GT350 are a little fragile, and if the engine is lugged, piston slap and/or oil consumption may result. I also think the piston rings used in the earlier engines are slightly fragile as well.
Not saying you are right or wrong, but I think this is true. My own anecdotal evidence of this is, track duty, my car barely burns oil. Less than my Hellcat did. Drive the car to and from work, and significantly more oil is consumed. Way more than my Hellcat consumed.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Or you can ship back you old long block for a core reimbursement, am I reading that correctly?

how long would you think these motors will be available down the line ? Is ford good at keeping items like this stockedup for future issues ?
Assuming your motor doesn't have a giant hole in the block, I'd gladly buy your long block for the price of the core charge

edit: spelling

Last edited:

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Any ideas on the cost to rebuild the long block with upgrades done by the right people? Who are the right people that can?

OP
OP
ClarksGT350

ClarksGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Assuming your motor doesn't have a giant whole in the block, I'd gladly buy your long block for the price of the core charge
What ?
My motor runs great. Iā€™m getting info so I have some knowledge of what I need to do if I were to have a problem after starting track days in mine.

passwords

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350R & ā€˜19 ZL1 1LE
So what parts, exactly, are unique to the VooDoo besides the crankshaft, cams, and intake? The block is shared with the Predator, as are the heads (at least thatā€™s what Iā€™ve heard so donā€™t roast me if Iā€™m wrong about the heads). And a fair amount of other parts are Coyote-based. Is there anything that would prevent someone from assembling a VooDoo if they have the crankshaft and cams?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What ?
My motor runs great. Iā€™m getting info so I have some knowledge of what I need to do if I were to have a problem after starting track days in mine.
I was saying if you need to replace it, I'd buy the core from you instead of sending it back to Ford
Sponsored