How common are issues with billet OPGs?

RedGT45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have spent many hours researching OPG/CS failures and aftermarket billet replacements. I have actually found more cases of people having issues with their aftermarket OPGs vs cases of failure (on coyotes). The two common issues were galling of the gear surface (and the metal flakes it leaves in oil) and clearance/tolerance issues.

I really haven't found many threads claiming gear failure, but have found 6 people who had issues with their aftermarket parts. This really has me on the fence about what to do because I hate to spend the money and time to install these gears when I may just be opening up the door for issues.

So my question is.....Can anybody here confirm that they have removed billet OPGs after many miles of use and found that they look good and don't show any unusual wear?
Sponsored

OP
OP

RedGT45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have been doing a lot of research on this and here is what I have gathered...

The aftermarket gears are made of a softer and less brittle material. This is good for preventing catastrophic failure, but not so good for long term wear. Some sources say that the billet gears are really for race applications, where the engine gets torn down and rebuilt often. There doesn't seem to be any consensus on how long billet gears will last on the street, but they will wear faster than the OEM gears.

The second issue is tolerances. If you know how the oil pump functions you can see that the tolerances between the OPGs is crucial. There have been reports of aftermarket gears having loose tolerances, which could result in lower and inconsistent oil pressure.

I am going to talk to a metallurgical engineer and get their take on the differences between the OEM and aftermarket materials for use in this application.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
From my own research I believe the Ford performance gears are the ones to use.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Even though I did OPG's(Ford) and CS, I still believe for the most part the OPG's are a solution looking for a problem. I have been hearing of quite a few more stock crank sprocket issues than OPG and I'm not aware of any down side to installing the sprocket.

Sponsored

Pat-Red-PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2020 PP2 VMP Loki
I go whit ford performance oil pump whit billet gear And I keep My crank sprocket ,2018 +are forged ..good oil pressure ..2 day job but My time cost nothing $

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I go whit ford performance oil pump whit billet gear And I keep My crank sprocket ,2018 +are forged ..good oil pressure ..2 day job but My time cost nothing $
And that's only on the 15-17s, the 18+ got an updated CS.
Sure, it’s forged and I almost stuck with it as well, but at the last second I ordered a boundry. Once you see them side by side it becomes significantly easier to understand why you need the boundry gear. One of the recent broken gears I saw was a forged 18+

Pat-Red-PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2020 PP2 VMP Loki
Sure, it’s forged and I almost stuck with it as well, but at the last second I ordered a boundry. Once you see them side by side it becomes significantly easier to understand why you need the boundry gear. One of the recent broken gears I saw was a forged 18+

I have ordered opg And CS from Boundary via My speed shop And The Guy from Boundary give The info about The stock 18+ CS ...seems good for My level of power (he said)...he didn't whant to sell That day🤣 So I keep my CS ..time Will tell..but yes The CS are better

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Once you see them side by side it becomes significantly easier to understand why you need the boundry gear.
Of course an aftermarket part that costs upwards of $300 will be beefier, but *need* is a debatable concept especially in the 18s.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
I did the Boundary OPG/CS combo in mine (while installing Comp cams) and have 0 regrets. I also did Boss 302 primary chain tensioners and my drivetrain is much quieter than stock now.

OP
OP

RedGT45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I did the Boundary OPG/CS combo in mine (while installing Comp cams) and have 0 regrets. I also did Boss 302 primary chain tensioners and my drivetrain is much quieter than stock now.
How many miles have you had them for?

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
How many miles have you had them for?
Installed in September, so less than 1,000 with a few 1/4 mile passes sprinkled in. Still quiet as the day I first installed them though. Oil pressure seems fine as well.
Sponsored