Are 5.0 engine failures a common issue.

Tex5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I was looking to get a 2018 5.0 m6. I have been coming across people with 5.0 engines having catastrophic failure. I just wanted to know if it's a common issue or are very few having this problem?
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Common? No, but there are certain issues that are common. In the early days of Gen 3, quite a few people had their motors replaced over noises that seem to be pretty standard and not harmful. Typewriter tick, cold piston slap, and mild to moderate oil consumption are all things that you could potentially run into. Catastrophic failure on the other hand is a pretty low chance.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
All those issues mentioned seemed to be centered more heavily around the early 18 5.0 models from what I've run into. I had one of those early 18s that Ford ended buying back and replacing the engine. It didn't blow up or anything it just had some weird surging issue they couldn't figure out. Now I have a 19 GT and it is great.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Some sound like they could crap out at any time (ha ha), with the tick and 2K rattle, but they rarely do. Excessive oil consumption is also not widely reported anymore, as well as other issues, like cam phasers, and cam chains/tensioners. Bottom line is 2018 and early 2019 engines are the most prone to severe issues, but many of those still run great. Good luck.

Sponsored

White_Bear_92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Base 10 speed
My '19 burns very little over the course of 5K-6K miles. I would say somewhere in the neighborhood of a half a quart at most. It is a little noisy, but I think people forget the complexity of these 3rd generation motors. 4 cams, 32 valves, 2 fuel pumps, 16 injectors, there's a lot of stuff going on. You're going to hear it.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I have been coming across people with 5.0 engines having catastrophic failure.
The coyote isn't the problem. It's the potato in between the driver seat and steering wheel that's the problem.

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
Depends on whats being done to the car. If its bone stock, no, engine failures are not common at all. If you are talking about throwing boost at it, it really depends on how much. Less than 10lbs, I haven't seen many issues with a 18+. More than that it becomes a toss up of how hard its being beat on but nothing will last forever at that kind of power level.

OP
OP
Tex5.0

Tex5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Who are these said people and how did you come across them...??
I belong to a lot of Facebook S550 clubs and there's a few people that were having issues are the engines breaking. This one guy said he's on his third engine. So I was kind of freaking out a little. I understand all cars have lemons. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bigger issue with everybody.
Sponsored