Sponsored

Are 5.0 engine failures a common issue.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I belong to a lot of Facebook S550 clubs and there's a few people that were having issues are the engines breaking. This one guy said he's on his third engine. So I was kind of freaking out a little. I understand all cars have lemons. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bigger issue with everybody.
Local (physical) clubs or internet clubs??
Sponsored

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
People don't seem to realize engine failures occur with the Camaro and Dodge Challenger/Charger. But modern engines overall are very reliable and durable.

I am building a 2019 5.0 and I am amazed at how stout and well engineered this powerplant is. Makes me want to go out and zing my 2018 GT to redline more often.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
But, Tex5.0 is connected nationwide personally to 100’s of S550’s club’s and is hearing a LOT of bad news.... lol

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
People don't seem to realize engine failures occur with the Camaro and Dodge Challenger/Charger. But modern engines overall are very reliable and durable.

I am building a 2019 5.0 and I am amazed at how stout and well engineered this powerplant is. Makes me want to go out and zing my 2018 GT to redline more often.
Its true, GM had a ton of LT1 failures when those came out.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Get a Gen II Coyote (15-17) and don’t look back.

Definitely the sweetheart motor.

drjeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium convertible, Kona Blue, 3.55 gears, active valve exhaust, 401A, safe and smart, B&O, polished aluminum wheels
I belong to a lot of Facebook S550 clubs and there's a few people that were having issues are the engines breaking. This one guy said he's on his third engine. So I was kind of freaking out a little. I understand all cars have lemons. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bigger issue with everybody.
The guy on his third engine should probably take a long look in the mirror to diagnose the problem. These engines are very reliable.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
He's a yootĂĽbe attention whore?
Lol.. something to the effect of:

I FLOORED MY COYOTE MUSTANG AND THIS HAPPENED

...25min later after talking about the tick, incorrect rod clearance, DI noise, Ceratec, Ford refusing to replace an engine with no issues, etc “so I think I’m going to trade it for a GTI, clearly Ford hates its customers and the Coyote is going to blow up at any second.”

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Some Dodge V-8's eat their cam lobes prematurely. Audi has had problems, BMW has had problems . . . . .

No one is immune.

Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
True that. Got a 2008 hemi that has a nasty sounding engine. Sounds exactly like a rod knock, but I know it's the darn lifters eating the lobes off the cam. Have to pull the heads to do the lifters. Engine burns oil as well, so a re-ring kit and a new cam will go in eventually. The engine has over 210k miles though.

Have a Pentastar 3.6 Dodge that has the same issue, needle bearings go out and then the sides of the roller rocker dig into the cam because the roller is no longer centered. Already replaced 5 rockers because of it. Dodge needs to source themselves a better set of needle bearings...

Infinity FX45 engine has considerable oil burning issues

Porsche famous IMS brearing and "D" shape cylinder issues

Chevy LS6 likes to eat valve keepers

Earlier LS engines in general had pretty bad piston slap issues

Hemi's like to drop valve seats

Coyotes like to grenade their oil pumps

Audi's, BMW's and many other DFI/GDI (Only, not DFI + PFI) engines love to carbon up their intake valves, requiring walnut blasting

GM 3.6L "High Feature" engines have oil sludge + timing chain + oil consumption issues

Wankels ave Apex seal issues, and really particular oil requirements

8.3L Viper engines have oil starvation issues and spin the bearings...

Every engine has it's issue. Some more than others for sure. I would venture to guess than any engine built especially over the last 20 years have issues directly related to cost-saving engineers that the bean counters bring in to cheapen the engine. In the case of the coyote, for example, going with a forged oil pump rotor wouldn't cost a whole lot more. OEMs probably wouldn't go billet, but forged would be easy and would probably be almost as good (Aftermarket can't afford to forge, hence why they are laser/water/cnc cut billet pieces). The coyote has a lot of inferred data because Ford was too cheap to (for example) add a $20 (Retail) MAP sensor. But, credit is due to having wideband o2 sensors, a definite "gift" to all of us that mod these engines.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I had an M3 V8 and Audi V8TT both with engine bearing issues almost brand new. Didn't want to go thru an engine replacement, so sold them both at a huge loss. The previous M3 (I-6) also had engine bearing issues, so thought BMW learned his lesson... but nope. Anyway, hope to dodge that 'bullitt' with the Bullitt :D. If my engine develops any internal issues, I'd also unload the car and never buy a Ford again. Still have Porsche, Mercedes, and Tesla left. Ha ha.