Sponsored

Hood Vents

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Oh dear but at least no other damage and hopefully an easy fix. Was only just looking at your car yesterday at Speedfest and didn't see you about anywhere :lol:
We wandered around a lot and spent the rest of the time on the bank just behind the cars watching the racing. Would have been good to see you.
Sponsored

sheps5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep impact blue 2015 GT
My passenger side one has come away from the bonnet at the front by a couple of inches. Showed it to Mike at speedfest and will be going up and getting it stuck back down in the very near future.

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
That's why I only cut out the absolute minimum, so there was a lot of surface area.

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
So your heat extractors were never bolted down ..just bonded with like glue ?

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
So your heat extractors were never bolted down ..just bonded with like glue ?
You cant bolt them. We are having to do a bodge job because ford didn't supply our cars with them and the hood is not designed to take them. Did you find a way to bolt them?

Sponsored

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
That's why I only cut out the absolute minimum, so there was a lot of surface area.
I think we all did mate. No-one cuts out more than they have to but you are always going to end up with the lip at the front.

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
My passenger side one has come away from the bonnet at the front by a couple of inches. Showed it to Mike at speedfest and will be going up and getting it stuck back down in the very near future.
I would be tempted to gaffer tape that front edge....or make sure you dont drive fast!

twold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang fastback
Anyway,
So I may have said that I lent on the bonnet just in front of the passenger side vent and it popped the bonnet from the vent and I may have said to others to be aware of this.= when cleaning.

What I should have added is, for crying out loud if this happens to you get it re-bonded asap, don't just think, 'it'll be fine'.....it wont!

20170611_181424_resized.jpg

It parted company from the bonnet as I was cruising down the M25 admiring a nice Camaro that had left American Speedfest about the same time as myself.

Through the power of social media and my new friends from mustang6g (namely Manders and 666mac) I have another set on the way.

Mind you, my gaffer tape repair is making me wonder if I need the new ones. You can hardly see the difference!!
20170611_210844_resized.jpg
I don't have them nor know anything about them but I would have thought looking at the photos that some carefully added screws would be possible to back up the glue without looking too bad as I can imagine this happening again.

simonp83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT S550
Would a US Hood/bonnet fit ours or is it incompatible due to the EU struts?

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Even if it did, its a lot more costky but yeh, I have coinsidered it.

I have been thinking about some sort of screw option myself. Or maybe putting a spacer between the two hood skins to stop the upper skin being able to be pressed downwards.

Sponsored

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Surface area on mine, I did a template first off then mod the vent. I used tiger grip, you can lift the car with these vents lol

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have them nor know anything about them but I would have thought looking at the photos that some carefully added screws would be possible to back up the glue without looking too bad as I can imagine this happening again.
If you want to split the plastic sure, the second skin isn't the most user friendly, there's a big hole where th event grille sits, but screws really aint going to do much, the vents are hollow.

I'd reverse glue mine on the inside,

American ones use a cable with a loop on it to hold it from flying it off, that's screwed into a screw point.

Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Surface area on mine, I did a template first off then mod the vent. I used tiger grip, you can lift the car with these vents lol
This looks the better way to do it because you only need a cut out below the vent itself and with less cut away, it means a bigger surface area for glue between bonnet and vent.......

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
This looks the better way to do it because you only need a cut out below the vent itself and with less cut away, it means a bigger surface area for glue between bonnet and vent.......
Like it really matters how much is cut, hardly reversible lol :lol:

Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Like it really matters how much is cut, hardly reversible lol :lol:
Well it does if you want more surface area to bond the two parts together and prevent failure....nothing to do with reversing the mod lol
Sponsored