Sponsored

Hood shake and lift...

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Like many my hood shook and lifted pretty badly on the highway or track. I didn't have much faith in just the latch. I tried adjusting the bump stops which helped but didn't fix it. And at the track so many times making triple sure the hood was latched tightly before running.

So I installed these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XNJDGKZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used 2 existing holes for the push pins in the radiator support cover, and just enlarged them. Took my time and triple checked before drilling into the hood. In that spot the hood is 3 layers thick between the outer skin, support, and inner skin. But there is some space between the layers. Maybe an inch or so. Had to make a 1-1/8" hole for the latches to mount, and a 1-3/4 hole on the inner skin to attach the retaining nut.

To find out where to drill the hole I installed the pins and put a dab of yellow ring and pinion marking grease on the tops. Then just let the hood down until they contact. Upon final install and adjustment of the height of the pins there is 2 important parts. 1. You don't want the latches pulling down much pressure or the hood skin will bow and distort and mess up the already shitty fender lines. 2. Don't tighten the retaining nut too much or it will also bow and distort the outer skin.

No I have absolutely zero hood shake at any speed I've been at. As a bonus the latch buttons also act as visual confirmation that they are latched every time you shut the hood.

hood pins.jpg
Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Personally I like the look of Aerocatch better. I installed a set on my EVO X and the steps I used were the same as yours. But whatever works, right?

p-10750-AMS_Performance_Aerocatch_Hood_Pins_500x375.jpg

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I found that putting my hood struts on pretty much got rid of 95% of it and I had an open grill. Are you guys doing 200 mph runs on the highway? I personally couldn't handle my hood looking like it had poultry timers on it.

OP
OP
Jay-rod427

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Personally I like the look of Aerocatch better. I installed a set on my EVO X and the steps I used were the same as yours. But whatever works, right?

p-10750-AMS_Performance_Aerocatch_Hood_Pins_500x375.jpg
I looked into those, but didn't think they would fit the hood very well since there isn't much flat real estate to work with, and didn't want the curves leaving gaps.

OP
OP
Jay-rod427

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I found that putting my hood struts on pretty much got rid of 95% of it and I had an open grill. Are you guys doing 200 mph runs on the highway? I personally couldn't handle my hood looking like it had poultry timers on it.
The shake didn't bother me near as much as the thought of the hood coming open. I have seen too many hoods come open at the track. 200% peace of mind.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my car up to 115mph quite a few times never had my hood shake

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
My hood shake was 100% eliminated when I adjusted the bump-stops up 3 full turns.
Which bump stops are these and do you need anything to turn them? I must not have been paying attention when looking under my hood for them.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jay-rod427

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Which bump stops are these and do you need anything to turn them? I must not have been paying attention when looking under my hood for them.
Rubber bumpers above the headlights. Turn them by hand a turn at a time counterclockwise until you see some improvement.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
My hood-to-front clip line dips closer/tighter at the latch area. Never had any hood flutter in the least bit.

I'd think the latch mechanism can be adjusted downwards.

I'd also suggest that no one is more concerned about hoods flying open than Ford, so I'd think that adjusting the latch mechanism/bump-stops is the way to go.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda suspension made my hood shake go away