Hood pins (functional)

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
any recommendations as far as functional hood pins? trying to reduce the hood flutter at highway speeds.

(also, wife commented yesterday that the passenger side exhaust looks to vibrate/shake a lot more going over bumps than the driver side, she was following me for about 15 miles when I went to drop it off for CC and PPF)
Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Quiklatch QL-50

OP
OP

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
looks like those are the ones on the GT500?
Might be, not sure exactly. I have them and am in the process of installing them. My hood had recesses for the pins that don’t line up with the car so it’s a nightmare. If I could have put them anywhere I wanted I’d be done already…

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
any recommendations as far as functional hood pins? trying to reduce the hood flutter at highway speeds.

(also, wife commented yesterday that the passenger side exhaust looks to vibrate/shake a lot more going over bumps than the driver side, she was following me for about 15 miles when I went to drop it off for CC and PPF)
What car? Shouldn't be any hood float on the Mach 1, up to track speeds! My 2015 GT had some float at well over highway speeds, but never at anything under 70. On the other hand, when I did my first 2-day course at Ford Performance Racing School, their 2015 GT had hood float enough on the track I asked an instructor the check it out. He took it out and said "yes, it flutters, but it's safe."

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
What car? Shouldn't be any hood float on the Mach 1, up to track speeds! My 2015 GT had some float at well over highway speeds, but never at anything under 70. On the other hand, when I did my first 2-day course at Ford Performance Racing School, their 2015 GT had hood float enough on the track I asked an instructor the check it out. He took it out and said "yes, it flutters, but it's safe."
22 Mach. There’s some definite good flutter at 80+

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
Back out the rubber stoppers / bumpers either side on the support rails, add a foam weather strip on top of the headlights to seal / reduce and airflow over the lights raising pressure under the hood..

Thia worked for me until I went full track vents.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
A GT500 hood would solve our problems too, lol.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
As @TrackMustang said those seem to be the ones most folks go for and I agree that they are probably the ones on the GT500.

I'm running an aftermarket GT500 Hood and I have a little bit of flutter/flex between the top of the louvre area and the windscreen. I haven't quite figured out how to resolve it yet. It happens at any speed when I go over bumpy roads.

I've got Ford Performance hood struts on order but they haven't arrived yet (end of the month apparently). I'm hoping that will provide some rigidity. It may be something I can't get around with bolt-on parts; it could be the company that manufactured it did so while cutting costs and so it's not as thick or sturdy as an OEM. I've considered adding ribs that span the width underneath but whatever. I've already spent too much on this one part.

Last edited:

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486

Instead of pins consider installing a pair of gas struts to support the hood when open. They apply pressure to the underside of the hood even when closed.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Might be, not sure exactly. I have them and am in the process of installing them. My hood had recesses for the pins that don’t line up with the car so it’s a nightmare. If I could have put them anywhere I wanted I’d be done already…
Do they line up with the radiator support like this? This Anderson Composites one looks a lot more flat than the Vicrez.

1658253103734.png

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Do they line up with the radiator support like this? This Anderson Composites one looks a lot more flat than the Vicrez.

1658253103734.png
Not that exact spot. It’s close but the issue I’m having is I get them to line up but the latch is at such an angle that it won’t engage with the pin, so I need to angle the pin…

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Not that exact spot. It’s close but the issue I’m having is I get them to line up but the latch is at such an angle that it won’t engage with the pin, so I need to angle the pin…
Good to know. I'm going to try and tackle this with a shop and see how to angle it.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Good to know. I'm going to try and tackle this with a shop and see how to angle it.
We all eagerly await your results, sir! If you don't make it back, can I haz your car?

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I went with Drake Hood pins, the angle doesn't affect the closing like on the quick latch set up. Plus I didn't like how much upward pressure was applied to the hood where the quick latch was mounted when I closed and locked the hood.
Sponsored