Sponsored

Hood Adjustment

MotoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT, 2018 Ford F150 XLT Supercab
Hello everyone, new GT owner here. Noticed my hood does not latch tightly. It jiggles a little when down. Had the same problem with my 2018 F150 and adjusted the bumpers and fixed the problem. I looked at the bumpers on the Pony and they don't look as accessible for adjustment like the truck. The dealer is 40 mi away so if its a simple fix, I'd rather do it myself if anyone can advise. Thanks!
Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Hello everyone, new GT owner here. Noticed my hood does not latch tightly. It jiggles a little when down. Had the same problem with my 2018 F150 and adjusted the bumpers and fixed the problem. I looked at the bumpers on the Pony and they don't look as accessible for adjustment like the truck. The dealer is 40 mi away so if its a simple fix, I'd rather do it myself if anyone can advise. Thanks!
All S550 hoods are going to do that because they are so lightweight being aluminum. You could possibly mess with the hood latch height.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Yep, remove the plastic cover over the radiator and remove those pop clips, then use a 10mm on the two nuts and adjust the latch up some from where it's at and test again.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
Yep, remove the plastic cover over the radiator and remove those pop clips, then use a 10mm on the two nuts and adjust the latch up some from where it's at and test again.
You are right on. My hood gap was creeping up. Not good for aerodynamics. I discovered one of the two 10 mm bolts was missing. Fixed that. Slid the bracket down to the stop, tightened the bolts. Firm pressure required to latch the hood closed. The surface match is jet aircraft clean.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
You are right on. My hood gap was creeping up. Not good for aerodynamics. I discovered one of the two 10 mm bolts was missing. Fixed that. Slid the bracket down to the stop, tightened the bolts. Firm pressure required to latch the hood closed. The surface match is jet aircraft clean.
Now if only there was a perfect way to adjust the side of the hood to the fender further back towards the windshield moving up and down to line up the hood without moving the bump stops and messing up the front alignment around the headlights.

Sponsored

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now if only there was a perfect way to adjust the side of the hood to the fender further back towards the windshield moving up and down to line up the hood without moving the bump stops and messing up the front alignment around the headlights.
There is. Slightly free the hood hinge bolts under the hood. Wear work gloves. Keeps the hood clean. Lower hood to about a foot from closed. Grab the front corners and shimmy to line the fender gaps. You raise and lower to get your line-up reference.
I got into this when i installed gas charged hood struts. It is trial and error and like me you will quit when you find good enuff. Don't forget to hard fasten the hinge bolts.

Screenshot_2022-02-03_14-25-26.png

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
There is. Slightly free the hood hinge bolts under the hood. Wear work gloves. Keeps the hood clean. Lower hood to about a foot from closed. Grab the front corners and shimmy to line the fender gaps. You raise and lower to get your line-up reference.
I got into this when i installed gas charged hood struts. It is trial and error and like me you will quit when you find good enuff. Don't forget to hard fasten the hinge bolts.

Screenshot_2022-02-03_14-25-26.png
I ended up removing both Ford Performance and Redline hood struts on my Mach 1 hood because I could never get the driver side to be high enough without being too low on the fender line. For some reason the driver side hood strut caused the hood to be pulled down further. Without it, it doesn't sit down as far. I loosened the bolts on the hinges and played with the hood for way too many hours.

I also did the fender bolts on both sides and measured the gaps on the front of the hood and both sides and make them as even as possible. Crazy thing is I put these on my old 2017 GT and I'm pretty sure I had zero issues with hood. Lucky I suppose.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
.... and played with the hood for way too many hours.

I know exactly what you are saying. That is why I wrote "... quit when it is good enuff."
S550 hoods make me wonder if the sheet metal stamping dies are straight.

OP
OP

MotoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies everyone. I looked at the latch and the cover.....since the car is brand new, I think I'll wait until I have reason to have the car in for other service and get them to correct the problem. Until then, the hood is closed/latched and i don't think there's any chance of it coming open going down the road.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
From the factory, mine was ‘very’ low, I had to set my bracket against the upper stop to get it to flow with the bumper :

1644048536082.jpeg

It has a nice front shut line now (it was obviously pinched in the middle beforehand) :

1644048694764.jpeg

You can see witness of where the catch was from the factory and how much I had to move it :

1644048787833.jpeg

WD :like:

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Here ya go, I forgot I had posted this a little while ago - has the info and images for adjusting the hood.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/hood-rubbing-or-alignment.130082/#post-2686575

OP
OP

MotoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bingo! Problem fixed!

Turned each bumper 1/2 turn counter clockwise and the hood latches and is tight! This is about the same fix I used on my F150.

Thanks Cobra Jet!

Jeff58

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang EcoBoost HPP
I ended up removing both Ford Performance and Redline hood struts on my Mach 1 hood because I could never get the driver side to be high enough without being too low on the fender line. For some reason the driver side hood strut caused the hood to be pulled down further. Without it, it doesn't sit down as far. I loosened the bolts on the hinges and played with the hood for way too many hours.

I also did the fender bolts on both sides and measured the gaps on the front of the hood and both sides and make them as even as possible. Crazy thing is I put these on my old 2017 GT and I'm pretty sure I had zero issues with hood. Lucky I suppose.
Same issue I had after installing the Redlines.....I just learned to live with it.
Sponsored