Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Luckily the printed material is fireproof. No worries about the nozzle aiming off into space if a real fire happens...
notice how it's not hooked up with a hose and in final installation...

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Had an eventful weekend. First, got the car on the ground for the first time in 24 months and tested the air jacks with tires. So pumped to try this at the track
IMG_2487.jpeg

I also used this as an opportunity to weigh the car. Real happy with this progress so far

IMG_2489.jpeg

Had a bit of "doh!" moment when I couldn't get to full lock

IMG_2492.jpeg

But then I realized I hadn't adjusted the caster yet since I'd installed the SPL arms. Adding some caster and we're good to go

IMG_2497.jpeg

Finally, I was able to get the PDM booted up and the electronics working. now to start the long programming process :D

IMG_2516.jpeg

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
Seems a bit lite?? :wink:just make sure you remembered to put In crank , rods , and pistons in ya block Haha.
attention to detail is inspiring to say the least.

man…. Absolutely this with will go like HELL :devil::like:

COBRAFREAK1996

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
3d printing is awesome for this sort of thing. I designed awning brackets for my Land Cruiser, my rear bumper and swingout, and some other pieces for it in Solidworks. Had a buddy with his 3d printer pop out some test brackets to verify everything fit like I wanted before sending it off to the laser cutter.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
while I document and edit videos of the plumbing and wiring installs, I've begun planning my next item on the list - the roof and windshield.

IMG_2536 (1).JPG

IMG_2532 (1).JPG

IMG_2535 (1).JPG

Plan is to trim the roof sides to fit and then glue down with panel bond to attach it. For the windshield, will likely also glue in so I have a seamless edge. The rear I am thinking about screwing in with riv nuts so its removable.

Front is 1/4in Optic Armor, rear is 3/16

I also got my hoses back from BMRS and got them installed last night. We're just about ready for fluids!

IMG_2531 (1).JPG

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Howdy! Thanks for checking in!

Yep - I've been making progress. My ADHD kicked in hard and I pivoted to working on the trailer (re-doing a ton of electrical stuff there and will post/share later) and have been bouncing between tasks on the car. I ended up changing my mind on two things that have set me back a couple weeks.

First, I didn't like how the PDM/ECU integration ended up. I had the car powered on and various circuits running - so I know the whole system works. I just couldn't get past the sloppiness. It was enough of a rats nest, I don't think I ever took a photo (at least not one I can find). I'm sure it'll show up in a video once I get a chance to edit.

Needless to say, I moved the PDM and ECU behind the passenger seat after much deliberation. Still not the cleanest install, but it's reasonable.
IMG_2616.jpeg

Not shown is a "plate" that they attach to so it can come out as one unit. As a result of moving, I've had to re-do the most complicated part of the wiring install. The $$ lost hurt as I had to buy new connecgtors, raychem heat shrink/boots, and wire, but it's coming along great. Just waiting on 2 boots and then I can pin the bulkheads and re-install.

IMG_2642.jpeg

I also got the passenger seat - confirmed fitment, clearance with the electronics and wiring, and leg room - it'll be a tight fit for tall folks.

IMG_2630.jpeg

I've also started work on the front crash bar and intake. Will have more to show in a week or so I think. Still need to trim the intake tube, build an air box and fit the crash bar (I am making a custom one that fits entirely in the bumper to maximize clearance to the radiator.
IMG_2641.jpeg

I have also started working on the rear bulkhead so I can install the rear windshield - I have a super rough cardboard cut out that I can use to transfer onto the 20g AL I will make the bulkhead out of.
IMG_2643.jpeg
IMG_2644.jpeg

I also finished up the air jacks install and system (hoses, fittings, regulators, etc.) and tested the system in the driveway.

IMG_2562.jpeg
IMG_2561.jpeg

Not shown are some other direction changes - I've switched to a Tiltonb 850 series pedal box (had the 600 series before) so I can run a true 3 pedal system and upgrade the master cylinders to the ones that are ABS-safe. the 600 series masters apparently have had issues with ABS systems blowing out the seals. Working on a new install there - so will share more in a week or two.

Lastly, I've acquired the last of the electronics - the AIM Smartycam Dual system, TPMS system, and radio/comms system for the car. Those installs will be coming shortly as well!

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Love this thread! We take very careful notes for future plans.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I sold my GT350 last year and still visit this thread from time to time.

Completely in awe that one person can do all this work. Love it!
Did you replace your 350 with anything?

And I always say, never underestimate the power of a harnessed ADHD hyperfocus. Amazing what you can do when you get so focused that the tunnel vision keeps you from realizing what you've committed yourself to. Haha

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Seeing that red bumper cover, any regrets about going white/gray?
Car will get wrapped in ruby-like color once I'm done. The Steel-it gray is just the base color for easy repairs and touch ups

1712083093652-yz.png

1712083218492-g9.png

1712083230079-fb.png

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I tried hard to go a different direction...but I just can't give it up. As long as this chassis/tub exists, it'll be ruby
1712083685196-04.jpg

1712083711531-rw.jpg
1712083920964-8i.jpg
1712083964331-so.jpg

Once upon a time it was a street car HA!

7F0A6569(1).jpg
7F0A6558(1).jpg

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Never noticed the matte stripes on the black roof. Super cool.