Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

mikedahammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I wish I had 10% of the skill to do this and 100% of the time. I have been following along but I had to comment because I think you need to switch careers. Can't wait to see it done.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I wish I had 10% of the skill to do this and 100% of the time. I have been following along but I had to comment because I think you need to switch careers. Can't wait to see it done.
It's mostly obsession, the inability to prioritize what I should (i.e. work or the completely torn apart guest bathroom), and a little bit of skill. Not as hard as you think if you break it down into steps and work through. Very intimidating, though. I procrastinated on wiring for over a year.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Made more progress - but as has been the process so far, waiting on more parts

Once everything is final, I'll post details how things are actually done. But for now, more fragmented shots of partial harnesses!

I finally got my bulkheads in for the rear harness. Downside is I forgot or already used the boots - so they're full ready to go - just need boots. I've tested and made sure the contacts are in the right spots. The top photo is the section that runs from the PDM to the trunk area. It terminates in a bulkhead.

IMG_2390.JPG

This section goes under the car - powering the diff fan/pump, trans fan/pump, rain light and diff temp sensor.

IMG_2389.JPG

I used my first raychem tri transition boot (about 8in below the bulkhead). These things are awesome and provide a really clean look with a great water tight seal (which is critical since its under the car).

IMG_2383.JPG

I used another Raychem transition boot on the main engine harness. Due to where my bulkheads are mounted on the firewall, I am working in some pretty awkward spaces behind the Bank 1 cylinder head. So I need to take a hard right out of the bulkhead and then split to run down Bank 1 and 2. This requires the Bank 1 trunk to double back. Obviously this is a huge opportunity for failure due to fatigue. So a Raychem boot will provide a rigid transition with excellent strain relief.

Here's how its routed under the boot
IMG_2374.JPG

And with the boot recovered
IMG_2387.JPG

Full harness is looking good - just needs terminations now - waiting on bulkhead before I terminate to fine tune sensor lengths
IMG_2386.JPG

Labels on everything
IMG_2388.JPG

My intake sub harness is also done. Just waiting to recover the boot until I can get the ECU powered and everything tested. Similarly to the main engine harness, I had another tight split, so another Raychem boot was used. Super sleek and tightly tucked away.
IMG_2391.JPG

I've also made progress on the ECU and PDM harnesses. Just waiting on two large boots to cover the intersections. Then I can terminate everything and pin the bulkheads. These two photos might look fairly inconspicuous, but there's probably 8 hours work just in these two sets of connectors. Super tedious work and a ton of integration between the two.

IMG_2392.JPG

IMG_2393.JPG

Hopefully finished harnesses to come in a couple days

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
Made more progress - but as has been the process so far, waiting on more parts

Once everything is final, I'll post details how things are actually done. But for now, more fragmented shots of partial harnesses!

I finally got my bulkheads in for the rear harness. Downside is I forgot or already used the boots - so they're full ready to go - just need boots. I've tested and made sure the contacts are in the right spots. The top photo is the section that runs from the PDM to the trunk area. It terminates in a bulkhead.

IMG_2390.JPG

This section goes under the car - powering the diff fan/pump, trans fan/pump, rain light and diff temp sensor.

IMG_2389.JPG

I used my first raychem tri transition boot (about 8in below the bulkhead). These things are awesome and provide a really clean look with a great water tight seal (which is critical since its under the car).

IMG_2383.JPG

I used another Raychem transition boot on the main engine harness. Due to where my bulkheads are mounted on the firewall, I am working in some pretty awkward spaces behind the Bank 1 cylinder head. So I need to take a hard right out of the bulkhead and then split to run down Bank 1 and 2. This requires the Bank 1 trunk to double back. Obviously this is a huge opportunity for failure due to fatigue. So a Raychem boot will provide a rigid transition with excellent strain relief.

Here's how its routed under the boot
IMG_2374.JPG

And with the boot recovered
IMG_2387.JPG

Full harness is looking good - just needs terminations now - waiting on bulkhead before I terminate to fine tune sensor lengths
IMG_2386.JPG

Labels on everything
IMG_2388.JPG

My intake sub harness is also done. Just waiting to recover the boot until I can get the ECU powered and everything tested. Similarly to the main engine harness, I had another tight split, so another Raychem boot was used. Super sleek and tightly tucked away.
IMG_2391.JPG

I've also made progress on the ECU and PDM harnesses. Just waiting on two large boots to cover the intersections. Then I can terminate everything and pin the bulkheads. These two photos might look fairly inconspicuous, but there's probably 8 hours work just in these two sets of connectors. Super tedious work and a ton of integration between the two.

IMG_2392.JPG

IMG_2393.JPG

Hopefully finished harnesses to come in a couple days
Impressive work, my dude. Top notch for sure!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Successful weekend making some work in-between watching the Rolex. On Friday, I got a chance to setup a new toy *cough cough* I mean tool. I'm late to the 3D printing party, but diving in head first now.

Printer.JPG

A couple months back, I reached out to @5.2 liters of democracy for some help re-creating some GT4 secret sauce. With the sequential setup, I was worried about cracking the block since Ford had some issues with that and I've already had my block repaired for a crack. These reinforce the ears on the block by tying into the bottom of the bellhousing and the oil pan. MMR makes their own version, but it doesn't fit the Dailey Drysump pan I have

8CB1C02D-B4F0-4F71-ABA1-C7DDE81BE8A5.jpg

Here's a pic of the GT4 braces for reference
IMG_4134.JPG

Test fit the 3d printed ones - took us a few tries. But they fit now. Now I just need to clean up the design a bit and then will send off for CNCing.

3d printer.jpg

Also - I finally got my first harness completely finished. This one goes from the PDM to control the diff cooler pump/fan, trans cooler pump/fan, rain light, and diff temp sensor. Split into two parts - one going through the cabin and terminating in a bulkhead - and the other under the car.

rear end harness-cabin.JPG

rear end harness_underside.jpg

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Successful weekend making some work in-between watching the Rolex. On Friday, I got a chance to setup a new toy *cough cough* I mean tool. I'm late to the 3D printing party, but diving in head first now.

Printer.JPG

A couple months back, I reached out to @5.2 liters of democracy for some help re-creating some GT4 secret sauce. With the sequential setup, I was worried about cracking the block since Ford had some issues with that and I've already had my block repaired for a crack. These reinforce the ears on the block by tying into the bottom of the bellhousing and the oil pan. MMR makes their own version, but it doesn't fit the Dailey Drysump pan I have

8CB1C02D-B4F0-4F71-ABA1-C7DDE81BE8A5.jpg

Here's a pic of the GT4 braces for reference
IMG_4134.JPG

Test fit the 3d printed ones - took us a few tries. But they fit now. Now I just need to clean up the design a bit and then will send off for CNCing.

3d printer.jpg

Also - I finally got my first harness completely finished. This one goes from the PDM to control the diff cooler pump/fan, trans cooler pump/fan, rain light, and diff temp sensor. Split into two parts - one going through the cabin and terminating in a bulkhead - and the other under the car.

rear end harness-cabin.JPG

rear end harness_underside.jpg
Everything is looking great! Loving the reels on Instagram too, Frank is hilarious

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Everything is looking great! Loving the reels on Instagram too, Frank is hilarious
he's an uncontrollable anarchist that acts on every intrusive thought, but he's been a ton of fun. definitely makes us laugh a lot. He is the worst officemate I've ever had, though.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Did a test fit of the center console tonight. Looking good, I think.

IMG_2431.jpeg

Every day getting a bit closer to power up. I am 99% done with the battery disconnect and fire supression install, but waiting until I button it up before posting so I can show the full walkthrough. It's come out pretty good, imho.

Tomorrow I get the parts to finish the PDM/ECU integration and then Wednesday I get the tool I need to pin the remaining bulkheads. Getting closer!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Sneak peak at the progress I made this weekend. Still need to take more detailed pics and document everything, but all harnesses are done. Finished up the main engine and intake harnesses

Intake will still need to be tucked up on the manifold a bit. Working on some 3D printed brackets that get them up and out of the way.

IMG_2459.jpg

Main engine harness is still a bit messy, but everything came out great. Waiting to recover the main bulkhead boots until I've tested it. Also note how the intake comes off with the harness still on it. Only need to remove a single bulkhead

IMG_2463.jpg

This shows why I want to get the manifold harness up a bit more to clean it. Bit messy this way
IMG_2462.jpg

Also finished up the center console and ordered the last icons for the key pad - steering mode, tc mode, left/right signals, interior light (dome light), start/stop, and PIT mode. Sat in the car and spent about 5 mins just day dream. That shifter and Bosch ABS adjustment knob are just so race car. So pumped

IMG_2469.jpg

Also got some 3d printed mounts worked out for the Penske reservoirs. This 3d printer has been a game changer. Working on some fire suppression nozzles now
IMG_2461.JPG

Not shown was all the install of the fire suppression system which is 95% there - just waiting on some parts. Will then document and share that install.

I've also finished up all the wiring except for one connector for the keypad and the power cable to the PDM - somehow I forgot to order 4awg supply power to the PDM. Once I get that later this week - we'll be go for a power up

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This printer is cheating. Needed a way to aim my fire suppression nozzles at the headers. Whipped up a quick model in Fusion 360 and went out in the garage for a bit while the printer produced a model. Model took about 10 mins to make in CAD and printer kicks it out in about 25 mins.

IMG_2475.jpeg

Next up is some bracing to support my carbon footwell / pedal box cover
IMG_2470.jpeg

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
This printer is cheating. Needed a way to aim my fire suppression nozzles at the headers. Whipped up a quick model in Fusion 360 and went out in the garage for a bit while the printer produced a model. Model took about 10 mins to make in CAD and printer kicks it out in about 25 mins.

IMG_2475.jpeg

Next up is some bracing to support my carbon footwell / pedal box cover
IMG_2470.jpeg
Luckily the printed material is fireproof. No worries about the nozzle aiming off into space if a real fire happens...