Sponsored

High Mileage Gen 3's & how are they doing?

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My 2018 GT Premium is a weekend "therapy" car. 14K normally aspirated and 16K boosted. Just turned over 30K.

Low mileage for sure. Only issue was a fried 10R80 after 7K boosted. Built replacement has been great so far.

Otherwise, -0- issues. Been a real solid car so far. Would like to hear from others.
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I am not high mileage but 38k on a 2019 boosted when brand new. No issues, other than a burned-out passenger side cat. Knock on wood.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Bought new, tuned at 5k, boosted at 48k, broke a spark plug as 85k, blew it at 96.5k. Spark plug damaged cylinder 3 which is what finally went in the end. Had that not happened motor would probably still be running strong. Before I pulled it I did compression and all 7 other cylinders were all 213-221psi.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
I put 36k on this car. 2018 GT premium auto. Had one issue with the intake manifold around 28k or so, but it was covered under warranty. Car didn't even have the BBQ tick.
Screenshot_20240420_175716_Gallery.jpg

RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT California Special
Not high mileage but after 1.33 yrs of owning my 2023 GT/CS stick, the worst I've seen was ford pass gave me a knock detection as I was parking my car after a spirited drive. By the time I went into my apartment and grab my bluetooth obd ii reader, the code had already cleared itself.

That happened around 4-5k and car is at 12.7k right now (bought the car new @ 7 miles, was custom ordered). Other than rookie shifting mistakes with the mt82d4 (this is my first manual ownership experience) I've had zero engine issues (honestly speaking the knocking was probably due to me using 87 on a hot day with me semi romping on it more than anything else).

Last edited:

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Are you only asking about the GT or just in general?
FWIW, my '18 EB convertible is at 103k miles. There have been what I consider 2 major problems and one minor one.
First the minor one. At about 38k the evaporative purge valve needed replacement. It's a pretty common thing and was probably exacerbated by the previous owner topping off the tank. This was covered by the CPO warranty.
Second, at about 85k the head gasket began leaking coolant into the #3 cylinder. Unfortunately another common issue for the 2.3. It was repaired under the CPO warranty as well.
The third issue I take partial responsibility for. Had I known at the time of the headgasket failure what I know now I would have stopped driving the car while waiting on my service appointment.
Anyway, shortly after getting the car back from the headgasket repair I started getting catalyst inefficiency codes. Apparently, burning coolant can, and will, destroy the substrate of the cat. Since it was past the 80k mile Federal emissions warranty I ended up footing the bill for that repair.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Are you only asking about the GT or just in general?
FWIW, my '18 EB convertible is at 103k miles. There have been what I consider 2 major problems and one minor one.
First the minor one. At about 38k the evaporative purge valve needed replacement. It's a pretty common thing and was probably exacerbated by the previous owner topping off the tank. This was covered by the CPO warranty.
Second, at about 85k the head gasket began leaking coolant into the #3 cylinder. Unfortunately another common issue for the 2.3. It was repaired under the CPO warranty as well.
The third issue I take partial responsibility for. Had I known at the time of the headgasket failure what I know now I would have stopped driving the car while waiting on my service appointment.
Anyway, shortly after getting the car back from the headgasket repair I started getting catalyst inefficiency codes. Apparently, burning coolant can, and will, destroy the substrate of the cat. Since it was past the 80k mile Federal emissions warranty I ended up footing the bill for that repair.
Yeah, I think OP was asking about the Gen 3 Coyote engine. Don't think they ever refer to the Ecoboost with generation numbers.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
2019 GT Premium. Just turned 70,000 miles and if you can believe it still have the original brakes. This car has been bulletproof for me. The M1 only has 1, 600 miles on it but I expect the same out of it.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Zrussian13,

That compression test on 7 cylinders is amazing.

Sponsored

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
2023 GT Premium, California Special: 13,600 miles.
Minor issues so far:
1. Right driver's side steering wheel column switch had to be replaced.
2. Throttle body was ticking. Had to be replaced.
3. Battery was faulty and had to be replaced.

Canadian Crimson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible PP1 Royal Crimson
Bought new, tuned at 5k, boosted at 48k, broke a spark plug as 85k, blew it at 96.5k. Spark plug damaged cylinder 3 which is what finally went in the end. Had that not happened motor would probably still be running strong. Before I pulled it I did compression and all 7 other cylinders were all 213-221psi.
Did you find much difference tuning a basically stock car ?

RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT California Special
Wait... 87 octane... what??

Dont EVER do that. Ever.
Given most of my driving is normal commute there is zero reason for me to use 93. When I go to the track I'll probably ensure the fill ups before that are loaded with 93 to ensure for max power but right now I'm on stock tune and exclusively using top tier gas only. So zero reason to use 93 right now.
Sponsored