help!!!! New Audio System JL AUDIO

SlowRed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
'15 Race Red GT
Inwasnt sure. I thought 600 x 4 was way tonpowerfull. But i have been out of the car stereo game for 20 years.

But ohms law still apllies here.
Yeah can't get around that. I just wanted to let OP know. It's a simple mistake 600/4
Sponsored

Dosia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
SSA is what I will be going with. I have an Xcon in the Honda but I am growing out of the big power subs as I get older. Started in high school with a HO alternator and 3000W with 2 15s. Now I jsut have a single 12" with 1500W, but for the Stang I think I am going to go with a 12" Gcon sealed with 750W. :ninja:

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP
OHM's law never lies.

Step #1. What is the amperage of the stock alternator. (160 maybe)

Step #2, add the extra power expected from your new amps. p (power) / v (voltage) = i (current / amperage)

JL AUDIO HD-600/4 AMP - (2400 watts / 13.4 volts = 180 amp max draw)

Step #3, Add the factory draw from the mustang (guessing 100 amps).

So you have a potential of 280 amp draw from the alternator with everything turned on and cranking out music and all your heaters on.

So yes. they are correct. You will very easily be over drawing your stock alternator.
You're forgetting about the battery. While the system will never get anywhere near a 280 amp draw (it would have to be playing test tones at absolute full volume), even if it did, the battery would be able to handle the extra load for that short period of time. A system this size would be just fine as long as the OP upgraded his battery grounding cable. A dual purpose AGM battery would also go a long way but still isn't required.

Also, the 600/4 amp is actually a total of 600 watts. Its true draw will be in the area of 60-70 amps (again at full volume) and at realistic music listening levels will only be in the area of 25-40 amps.

SlowRed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
'15 Race Red GT
As an owner of a mobile electronics shop and a veteran of the industry for over 20 years with JL being one of my lines for 14 of those years I can speak highly of the company. That is not because I sell their product. Trust me, we will kick a manufacture to the curb for defect issues or poor performance. Out of all the main stream amp/speakers lines on the market, JL is still considered the smallest. They still engineer all of their own products and build it themselves. I can tell you there are only two lines in the JL lineup that are not built by them directly. Yes some of their stuff is assembled in China, but JL owns the facilities and has American management in these facilities over seeing everything. I can also tell you out of all my lines that JL has the lowest defect rate. They may not be the small company that they were in the 90's, but isn't the whole idea of a company to build yourselves up as big as you can? This sometimes involves doing things to lower your overhead. There is a certain person on here talking about American built products. What about some of our American vehicles being built in Mexico? Is it time to trash talk them? Your American built audio companies will eventually go the Chinese way, I promise you that. If they don't then they will probably fail. As the cost of living goes up in America so will the cost of your American hand built amps and speakers and then eventually they will look towards China or fold. I don't mean to get on a soap box, but some of the stuff being said in this thread was a little ridiculous. Trust me, I wish all American companies would manufacture all of their products in America. They just simply can't though. One person on this thread is one minute telling this guy to buy all American hand built product and then followed it up with telling this guy to buy all the product on line. That is the exact reason manufactures have to go over seas for manufacturing. Honestly the internet and the so called companies that whore products out on the internet have driven margins down so low that manufactures have to figure out ways to lower costs. This isn't just in the audio world. This is true with almost all manufacturing companies based in the US. There, I'm done. To the guy that started this thread, I wish you the best of luck in finding the right shop to help you out. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message and I would be more than happy to answer any audio related questions that I can. I would also be more than happy to help find a reputable shop in your area as I am part of a network of shops throughout the US.
Awesome finally someone that understands how this all works. I always shop in my town first. The dealer I deal with gives me a good price on equipment. My JL has never quit in any of my cars even my abused 12W7 and 1000/1v2 8 years strong!!

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
This thread may as well be written in Greek. In fact, it is, in part.

Sponsored

jtiedemann4

2015 Magnetic Mustang GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
So I have a 15 Mustang Gt , bone stock , and I went to a shop claiming theyre experts in audio and installations and they tell me that my setup would outshort the capacity of the cars altenator since it runs to low of amp and as well wires for the hole system the car already uses would have to be modified to be able to make my setup work , so my setup is the following

SPEAKERS
JL Zr650-csi 2 way component
JL AUDIO HD-600/4 AMP OR
JL AUDIO SLASH 450/4

SUBWOOFER
1 -JL 10"W7
AMP JL SLASH V2 500/1

They tell me that the new amp require less energy from the battery to put out the watts that my setup is required but its makes a big difference going from hd to slash amps since I already have the Slash amps

Can anybody verify if this setup is going to cost me problems if going with slash amps?
I ran this in my 2011 Fusion Sport with no problem. Plan on adding this to my GT.
IMG_0840.jpg
IMG_0217.jpg

OP
OP
v8ter

v8ter

Typing...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG GT 2015 50TH
Wow,this forum is awsome!! Great help you guys!!! Btw Jl has been my preference for many years,Im 24 and have been upgrading my sound systems since I was 14,so far have had 5 mustangs and have installed other brands to ,but I keep coming back to Jl,I actually found a guy today ,who has the ZR speakers installed and they sound just what I wanted them to,so if I already like them I see no point in changing the brand and ending up regretting it

I do have a Jl 10 W7 ,slash 1000/1 v2,slash 500/1,C5 speakers lying around,gona sell the amps and the speakers and buy the hd 900/5

OP
OP
v8ter

v8ter

Typing...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG GT 2015 50TH
How would the Jl C5 match for rear speakers?

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
In my Evo I had the ZR components running off a HD amp along with a 10w6 in the JL H.O. box running off a 500/1 Slash amp. Best sound system I ever put in a car. 6 years of owning the car and never had an issue. Most people swore I had a pair of 12's in my trunk and would always guess Focal or MB Quart components.

Opinions on audio gear are just like opinions on cars. Decide what you want and go to audio shows to see if you can listen to different brands in various cars. The speakers never sound the same in your car as they do in the shop.

5starr0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
As long as well all agree the stock shaker system sucks than i'm happy

Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Yes they were amazing when they were a younger company but like Rockford they sold out and now they aren't much better than anything else out there. They aren't bad but they are not even close to worth the price. Better off to go with some of the brands I listed for the money. Most are built right here in the U.S. and some are even hand built.
Soundstream was awesome in the 90's.

OP
OP
v8ter

v8ter

Typing...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG GT 2015 50TH

JLsounds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium w/performance pack
How would the Jl C5 match for rear speakers?
It depends on which audio system you have and what kind of performance you are expecting from the speakers. The C5 is a great speaker. It does like to have some power going to it. If you are in a base GT with the 6 speaker set up then I would suggest an amp. If you are in the premium car then could use the factory power and it would be great rear fill

OP
OP
v8ter

v8ter

Typing...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG GT 2015 50TH
It depends on which audio system you have and what kind of performance you are expecting from the speakers. The C5 is a great speaker. It does like to have some power going to it. If you are in a base GT with the 6 speaker set up then I would suggest an amp. If you are in the premium car then could use the factory power and it would be great rear fill
Well Im going with the zr650-csi in front , Jl w7 10" sub , Im powering this with a 900/5 HD amp,but I was told I needed to change out the rears as well to get a better quality sound ,but would it be an overkill for that amp if I installed another set of Zr in the back running thru the same amp or would c5 or even c3 be enough?

SlowRed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
'15 Race Red GT
My opinion rear speakers are not really needed never used them on two door cars. Even in an extended cab f-150 fronts are enough
Sponsored