Sponsored

Help lowering my car

Dinokill3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt PP
Hi guys.

I have a 2017 GT PP and right now I’m running BMR lowering springs wish has only moderate drops(I think 1/2 inch in the rear) with 20 inch wheels.

I’m planning to go to 19 inch wheels in the future and I want to close the wheel gap that the 19 inch wheels will create.

I was thinking of getting coilovers but I don’t want to spend 3k just to lower my car and I’m scare of the cheap ones having a crappy quality.

I had Steeda ultra lite springs with stock everything else on my V6 and the ride quality went to crap overtime and the suspension was a rattling mess so I don’t want to repeat the same mistake and I want to do it right this times.

I’m doing this for looks but don’t want to compromise ride quality.

This is my car as it sits right now
B06001CB-534D-41C4-8270-79887404B365.jpeg
C00F789F-271C-4C1B-9936-906F497CB907.jpeg

I would like to see pics of lowered s550 on 19inch wheels.
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Tire size info would help us help you.

OP
OP
Dinokill3.7

Dinokill3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt PP
Current? 255x40x20 fronts and 295x35x20 rears

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I'm running the minimum drop springs on my 2021 GT. I like it low but not too low that I can't drive over civilized roads and going to the mall etc.

Gear is in my sig.

1657076466060.png

waltrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1, 401A, 6MT
sheeeesh.PNG

Lowered on Steeda Progressives, 19x10 285/35 square.

Side note: Check the Wheels and Tires forum, theres a stickied thread with like 500 pages of pictures. Just search the springs youre considering or the fitment specs youre considering within that post.

Side side note: I just ordered Ultralite Extremes, Caster Camber plates, and a bumpsteer kit. Figured I would run them on my pp1 dampers until they give out. Were your ultralites just extremely harsh or was something genuinely wrong with your car?

SHEEEESH.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
I'm running the minimum drop springs on my 2021 GT. I like it low but not too low that I can't drive over civilized roads and going to the mall etc.

Gear is in my sig.

1657076466060.png
I personally wouldn’t go any lower than this, if you daily the car. I’m currently running stock on magneride and have already scraped my splitter a couple times.
How do you find the ride? Compared to stock? Did you change the mode you drive with after changing the springs?
Sooner or later I think I’ll go with a setup similar to yours, although it’s not the ultimate “looking” setup, I want to keep the car as my daily , and not scrape on everything.

OP
OP
Dinokill3.7

Dinokill3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt PP
sheeeesh.PNG

Lowered on Steeda Progressives, 19x10 285/35 square.

Side note: Check the Wheels and Tires forum, theres a stickied thread with like 500 pages of pictures. Just search the springs youre considering or the fitment specs youre considering within that post.

Side side note: I just ordered Ultralite Extremes, Caster Camber plates, and a bumpsteer kit. Figured I would run them on my pp1 dampers until they give out. Were your ultralites just extremely harsh or was something genuinely wrong with your car?

SHEEEESH.jpg
I really like the stance!

My v6 was bouncy! There is a small bridge near my house that I can come in doing 60mph with my GT just fine. On my V6 I had to slow down to around 30mph otherwise the rear will start bouncing so hard that it felt the rear tires were catching air on each bounce lol

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
How do you find the ride? Compared to stock? Did you change the mode you drive with after changing the springs?
When I'm in normal mode the ride is fine. I have new rims, tires and springs and those all contributed to changing the overall ride profile. Not bouncy at all.

If I want to change things up I flip to TRACK mode and when I send it she hunkers down and goes for it. That ride is a fair bit stiffer when rolling over crappy roads.

I rubbed once parking in my girlfriend's underground parking but that's it.

baazooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT

NTXChris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT
In theory your tire-fender gap won't appreciably change when down sizing wheels because the aspect ratio (height) of the tire increases to maintain the same overall diameter. As @waltrs said, there's a great thread in the wheels and tires forum.

I'm running BMR drag rear springs and performance front springs on PP1 shocks/struts. The ride is stiff, but not unbearable. No rattles whatsoever, and only the occasional pop form what I believe is a swaybar endlink that needs replacing. I'm still on PP1 wheels/OE size Michelin AS3 and 1" spacers.

Parker_Mustang.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dinokill3.7

Dinokill3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt PP
In theory your tire-fender gap won't appreciably change when down sizing wheels because the aspect ratio (height) of the tire increases to maintain the same overall diameter. As @waltrs said, there's a great thread in the wheels and tires forum.

I'm running BMR drag rear springs and performance front springs on PP1 shocks/struts. The ride is stiff, but not unbearable. No rattles whatsoever, and only the occasional pop form what I believe is a swaybar endlink that needs replacing. I'm still on PP1 wheels/OE size Michelin AS3 and 1" spacers.

Parker_Mustang.jpg
Nice stance. I’m planning on 305x35x19 rear which is already an inch shorter in diameter than my current set up

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
I really like the stance!

My v6 was bouncy! There is a small bridge near my house that I can come in doing 60mph with my GT just fine. On my V6 I had to slow down to around 30mph otherwise the rear will start bouncing so hard that it felt the rear tires were catching air on each bounce lol
My understanding is the V6 came with the cheapest, softest shocks/struts that Ford put on an S550. If you put lowering springs on the stock shocks, the higher rate would quickly overwhelm them, wearing them out before their time and leaving you with a bouncy ride.

I put over 100k on a V6 before trading it for my GT, never had an issue with a bouncy ride, but the suspension was completely stock also.

My GT definitely has a more controlled feel to the handling, and maybe just a little firmer ride compared to my V6, I believe most of that difference is in the quality of the shocks.

Salty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 MT-82, 2019 5.0 10R80
Sounds to me those shocks are blown. My stock shocks were replaced at 27k miles. I wouldn't bash on the steeda ultralite springs once they are paired with some nice shocks. I recently put on steeda ultralite springs with ford performance track shocks and the combo is amazing. For me these springs checked off all requirements (Linear spring, decent spring rate, and stance)

OP
OP
Dinokill3.7

Dinokill3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt PP
Sounds to me those shocks are blown. My stock shocks were replaced at 27k miles. I wouldn't bash on the steeda ultralite springs once they are paired with some nice shocks. I recently put on steeda ultralite springs with ford performance track shocks and the combo is amazing. For me these springs checked off all requirements (Linear spring, decent spring rate, and stance)
Are the performance track shocks the same as the ones that come with performance package GTs?

Salty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 MT-82, 2019 5.0 10R80
Are the performance track shocks the same as the ones that come with performance package GTs?
No. They are definitely an upgrade from a performance package. What part of Florida you in? If your in the South Florida area I can give you a ride.
Sponsored