Sponsored

Help an EcoNOOB

Btor23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Hey guys im new to this forum but need help deciding on something. last march i bought a 2015 ecoboost mustang. i have read up on engine failures since mine is a very early build (june 2014 :doh: ) and planned on trading it in for something less risky BUT im madly in love with the car. i dont want to build it just yet ( im 24 and want to buy a house this year) but i have an urge to mod it. so far i just have a cobb v3 but havent tuned it since ive seen cobb 93 tunes blowing up stock cars. long story short do i go for it and gamble or is there a safe route (mod list) to prolonging the big boom. warranty is up in june. Thanks for any help and sorry for the novel :cheers:
Sponsored

JungleG1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Just wait it out. There is not route you can take unless you rebuild your engine.

OP
OP

Btor23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Just wait it out. There is not route you can take unless you rebuild your engine.
Thanks for your reply! Should i go bolt ons with no tune or just give up all together?

JStang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost
There are members on this forum with early build engines who have been running a tune and other mods for 50,000+ miles. Ultimately there is no way to guarantee that your engine won't fail, but there are certainly best practices to follow (frequent oil changes with a good synthetic, don't beat on the car until oil is up to temp, etc.) If you decide to mod the car, make sure you go with reputable manufacturers and a well known tuner.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Didn't some of the early engines blow up bone stock? I could be wrong, but I don't think the issues were tune related. And even then, I don't think very many blew up.

You could always get the Ford Pro Cal tune. The warranty part won't do you much good, but you'll pick up a good amount of power and since it's from Ford it's going to be the safest tune you can get.

Do proper preventative maintenance on your car you should be fine.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
How many miles do you have on it?

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Hey guys im new to this forum but need help deciding on something. last march i bought a 2015 ecoboost mustang. i have read up on engine failures since mine is a very early build (june 2014 :doh: ) and planned on trading it in for something less risky BUT im madly in love with the car. i dont want to build it just yet ( im 24 and want to buy a house this year) but i have an urge to mod it. so far i just have a cobb v3 but havent tuned it since ive seen cobb 93 tunes blowing up stock cars. long story short do i go for it and gamble or is there a safe route (mod list) to prolonging the big boom. warranty is up in june. Thanks for any help and sorry for the novel :cheers:
Which warranty? Don't forget you also have the powertrain warranty as well... if that is up in June also, then I'd more than likely get the Ford Performance tune anyway, just to be safe. If you have an auto the FP tune will smooth it out... joy to drive with the tune.

The early engines blowing up always seemed like a load of sht to me... but that is me.

If you are purchasing a house... I'd just get the FP tune and focus on the house after that. I'd not touch anything else with the car... nothing else is really needed...

Witj85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT Base 6spd in Shadow Black
What's the build date on the car?

OP
OP

Btor23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
thanks guys. i have 24k on the car and its a manual. my real concern is when i first bought the car it had 13k on it and had the misifre in cylinder 3 issue. it never felt as if it was misfiring but the idle on cold start was weird. it was fixed about 7k miles ago and no hiccup since (and i occasionally beat the snot out of her), thats why im tempted to mod her. also shes magnetic metallic with red interior so shes really pretty lol. i do full synthetic every 3500 miles. also the 3/36k is the warranty that is ending in june.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Btor23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
also my next purchases was going to be the upr dual cc, and plugs from adumtuned and his 93 tune and maybe cpe or levels ic. im just looking for more punch but also reliability. if i wanted big hp id just build it now but i really dont want to get into it when im trying to save money lol

JStang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost
I definitely can relate to your situation. I'm 23 and also saving for a house, so dropping the money for a new motor definitely wouldn't be ideal lol. That being said, I did mod the car and I don't regret it. It's so much more fun to drive and really has it's own personality now. If the motor goes, then I'll be bummed for sure but I can deal with it.

As far as the mods you listed, those all sound pretty good. I have the UPR DVCC, Levels IC, Adam's lifetime tuning and Denso plugs, and I'd recommend all of them.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Warranty on the engine/transmission is 5 years or 60k miles so you have plenty of warranty left. Go with Boltons like catback exhaust and CAI,/drop in air filter to preserve the full factory warranty.

Trading in the car is a waste of money.

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
I have a very early 2015 build. It just turn 31K miles and I have done almost everything wrong.

I've mod'd it, I've tuned it with a stock Cobb tune(stage 1), I used regular gas for the the first year of ownership (until the 93 tune), and I've tracked it (8 HPDE Events). I've had it over 155 mph indicated and I've floored it in 5th and 6th gear at low revs.

My ownership experience has been nothing short of exceptional. The car has never let me down or missed a beat. I turn competitive lap times on the track (frequently passing GT's) and on a recent trip to TN over the holidays I got 33 mpg on the way home with cruise set at 75.

Since finding and reading this forum, I don't use regular gas and I don't lug it anymore. My only saving grace is I have obsessively changed the oil.

Have I shortened its life by doing the things I've done? Maybe? I could also get hit by a bus tomorrow and any worrying would have been pointless.
Sponsored