Helmet Recommendation

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Hey all. Looking to do some HPDE and maybe some auto-X events next season and looking for helmet recommendations. I don’t need anything fancy and nothing that will be overly expensive as I won’t be doing more than a few events most likely. SA2015 or newer is the track requirement for what I would be doing and I’d just prefer to have my own helmet rather than renting one at the track.
Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I got a Racequip off Amazon for $250 or so.
These seem to fit more round heads though. I actually bought a large and a medium and returned the one that didn't fit. The large had too much side-to-side play but the medium doesn't come downward enough; you can see my jaw while wearing the helmet.

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I got a Racequip off Amazon for $250 or so.
These seem to fit more round heads though. I actually bought a large and a medium and returned the one that didn't fit. The large had too much side-to-side play but the medium doesn't come downward enough; you can see my jaw while wearing the helmet.
Yeah I think I’m kind of an in between size too. My hat size is 7-3/8, which is between a medium and large for most I’ve seen. Speedway Motors has the Zamp FS-9 on sale so I’ve been looking at that. Also saw Racequip on Amazon. My bike helmet (bicycle not motorcycle) is a Bell and it fits my smallish head nicely but most of the Bell car helmets I’ve seen are probably more than I need to spend right now.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I think I’m kind of an in between size too. My hat size is 7-3/8, which is between a medium and large for most I’ve seen. Speedway Motors has the Zamp FS-9 on sale so I’ve been looking at that. Also saw Racequip on Amazon. My bike helmet (bicycle not motorcycle) is a Bell and it fits my smallish head nicely but most of the Bell car helmets I’ve seen are probably more than I need to spend right now.
If it helps at all: a large HJC motorcycle helmet fit me perfectly. Those come Snell rated which qualifies for track use as well.

I needed HANS posts so the motorcycle helmet was a no-go for me

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I would try to find a racing store where you can try some on. Even if you know your hat size, when you're dealing with the whole enchilada, no everybody is cooking with the same shaped tortilla, even if the circumference is the same.

An HJC H10 fit my head shape and wallet size earlier this year when I went looking.

Alternatively there are some SN rated motorcycle helmets, so you can usually find a motorcycle store that has some good candidates.

Helmets marketed towards motorcycles have some slightly different feature sets than ones designed for cars. Motorcycle helmets usually muffle more sound and have vents for air, which you don't really need (or want) in a car helmet. All SA2015+ rated helmets should have provisions for HANS devices. My previous motorcycle SA helmet really fit tight around the cheeks, probably to control air circulation at speed, while my current car helmet has more open space at the mouth and chin area, which makes it a bit more comfortable to wear.

Since I use mine a lot, I did spend a bit more to save a few oz with (slightly) lighter carbon fiber shell, but do your research. In the case of the H10, it was a paltry weight savings and probably not worth the cost.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Thanks guys, some good suggestions here. There’s a good amount of motorcycle shops around me that I can go and try on helmets for size.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
You’re on the right track. You’ll be wearing it for 30 minutes at a time. A good safety equipment store should be able to provide some guidance on fit. Also, Definitely review the helmet requirements of the organizations you’ll be running with. Some require SA-rated.

DRAGOON

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
21 VB mach1 HP 6SP
Thanks guys, some good suggestions here. There’s a good amount of motorcycle shops around me that I can go and try on helmets for size.
DO NOT wear a motorcycle helmet in a car while on the track !! I don’t care what others say, a SA helmet is way different than a motorcycle helmet in so many ways. Read this from 1 of the organizers I go with. Also, go to a race shop/track shop to get your helmet. I use Pegasus which is close enough to you that a trip there will have you fitted with a proper helmet for years to come. You have 1 brain, money well spent to protect it.

http://www.mvptracktime.com/id76.html

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/advcat.asp?CategoryID=HELMET

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
DO NOT wear a motorcycle helmet in a car while on the track !! I don’t care what others say, a SA helmet is way different than a motorcycle helmet in so many ways. Read this from 1 of the organizers I go with. Also, go to a race shop/track shop to get your helmet. I use Pegasus which is close enough to you that a trip there will have you fitted with a proper helmet for years to come. You have 1 brain, money well spent to protect it.

http://www.mvptracktime.com/id76.html

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/advcat.asp?CategoryID=HELMET
Thanks I actually have to drive up to Milwaukee in the morning for work so I’ll stop there on my way home!

Specracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Get the lightest helmet that the budget will allow. Your neck will appreciate it, with the g loads on track.

Many helmets do not fit my head. Bell helmets do. This might be a resource for you, located in Barrington IL (Pegasus is fantastic as well)

https://www.northstarmotorsports.co...r/sfID2/Helmets+and+Accessories/sfID3/Helmets

Also thinking about safety, a head neck restraint would also be recommended (but may not fit the budget). Simpson Hybrid is the only certified device that works with OEM 3 point belts (assuming your not adding 5/6 point belts)

https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/hybrid

Sponsored
OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Get the lightest helmet that the budget will allow. Your neck will appreciate it, with the g loads on track.

Many helmets do not fit my head. Bell helmets do. This might be a resource for you, located in Barrington IL (Pegasus is fantastic as well)

https://www.northstarmotorsports.co...r/sfID2/Helmets+and+Accessories/sfID3/Helmets

Also thinking about safety, a head neck restraint would also be recommended (but may not fit the budget). Simpson Hybrid is the only certified device that works with OEM 3 point belts (assuming your not adding 5/6 point belts)

https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/hybrid
Thanks! Northstar isn’t too far from me so I’ll go talk to those guys as well.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I got a basic G-Force open face helmet OF20 SA2020 at Solo Performance Specialties for a little less than $200. By following the online fit instructions it fits properly (snug).

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Thanks for all the guidance gents. Stopped at Pegasus this afternoon and tried a few different brands and sizes, large seems to be the best fit. Now I just need to decide which one I want. Bell and RaceQuip fit really nice, might run out to Northstar tomorrow and see if they have Zamp to try out too. The Zamp RZ-62 Graphic in blue/green caught my eye to match my blue car (I’m kinda nerdy about that type of stuff 😁). Will try to find a G Force to try on too.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Dont be timid, you can absolutely put a coat of blue paint on a helmet you just bought too. Its not like anybody else wants to wear it after your melons been in it a few times, resale isn’t a thing.

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Dont be timid, you can absolutely put a coat of blue paint on a helmet you just bought too. Its not like anybody else wants to wear it after your melons been in it a few times, resale isn’t a thing.
Oh for sure, have no thoughts of trying to resell down the road. Just figured if one’s already got a cool paint scheme might as well give it a look. Not opposed to a solid color helmet either.

One thing I did not get a chance to do is try on the helmets with my sunglasses on (they’re prescription as I need glasses when driving) since it’s been so cloudy around here the last 10 days or so. I’ll have to go back to Northstar and do that as my sunglasses frames are thicker than my regular glasses (Oakley Gascan). No issues with comfort/fitment with my regular glasses. Or would I just be better off with regular glasses and a tinted visor?
Sponsored