Header Questions 2019

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Currently, have MBRP Street Cat-Back with H pipe, the previous owner installed. I do not plan on FI, so I am trying to figure the exhaust from front to back that makes the most sense for power. I see American Racing is pretty popular on youtube, but Corsa has both headers and the rest of the exhaust.

Im at a bit of a loss vs long tube and short tube, high flow cats vs catless, etc... Not that I don't understand what they mean, but if you were going to build an exhaust from front to back, what would you do? Would also be dyno tuned by a local tuner after the installation of headers.

Personally, I was looking at the AR MTC5-18134300FSNC catless full system. Other part Im not sure about are 1 3/4x3 vs 1 7/8x3 sizing. TIA
Sponsored

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
If you are able to pass inspection with no issues, go catless.
1 3/4 is more than enough for a N/A vehicle.
ARH makes a great system, but keep in mind if you plan on going e85 you will have to angle your 02 sensors. *unless ARH made a revision.

ARH has an amazing exhaust note.šŸ˜

Kooks has 02 bungs that do not have to be angled. Last I saw they were offering stepped 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 stepped headers.

OP
OP
gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, what I needed. I won't be going E85, just not easy to get here, so sounds like the ARH 1 3/4 is what I need to look at.

Is a tune a must after headers? I was planning all in the same trip, but wasn't sure during my reading on the subject.

OP
OP
gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Any benefit to re-running the whole exhaust from one brand? The MBRP is pretty nice, just wondering if I should grab the long tubes only and run with it.

Sponsored

zworld

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
zane
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Your car has factory headers, how much gain can you get for spending upwards of 2k?

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Your car has factory headers, how much gain can you get for spending upwards of 2k?
Some nice stepped long tubes would pick up 15-20 whp 25-30 wtq. You could just delete/hollow out your factory cats for less and gain about 65-75% of long tube gain.

OP
OP
gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Just looking into that. Some opinion of people spending the money already is that, if not going FI it may not be worth it. I don't plan on that or drag racing, just eeking what I can out. At this point, there may not be much left to do and I should spend the money on the audio upgrade in the plans lol. I do think I will at least swap to a Borla S Type or Atak cat back. Ive always owned Borla, and like the sound. These MBRP's are fun, but the drone is getting a tad annoying after a couple of months of ownership. I didn't put them on, so at least I am not throwing away money lol.

For the cost of the full ARH system I can change to Borla and upgrade the speakers and add a sub. Decisions decisions...

zworld

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
zane
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Well I guess what I'm getting at is 15 to 20n hp gains are not worth that much cash at least to me. And I can afford them.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Do it! While youā€™re at it, tune the car for Flex and E85R too. Even if itā€™s not readily available, it will be nice to have all of the available power on tap with just the switch of a tune. You can stay on the 93 tune until you run across E85 fuel and want max power. Oh, did I mention the sound of LT headers alone is worth the money? There is just no mistaking a car with LTs.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
If you are able to pass inspection with no issues, go catless.
1 3/4 is more than enough for a N/A vehicle.
ARH makes a great system, but keep in mind if you plan on going e85 you will have to angle your 02 sensors. *unless ARH made a revision.

ARH has an amazing exhaust note.šŸ˜

Kooks has 02 bungs that do not have to be angled. Last I saw they were offering stepped 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 stepped headers.
I've been running e85 with ARH LTH around 2.5 years no issues and no re angling.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Long tubes will net a gain in HP under the curve. Are they worth the hassle and expense? Only you can answer that.

Shorty headers will lower your performance. The Ford engineers fought hard to keep these headers on the stock car. The tubes are designed to scavenge cylinders. None are better.

Personally unless I can get true equal length headers it is a waste of money. 300 to 400 would be a fair price point for the junk being sold as premium. The O2 sensors are at the wrong angle, on most, the collectors are not true merge, the tubes are 8 to 10 inches difference longest to shortest.

They will still outperform shorty headers. However a simple cat delete will give 75 to 80% of the unequal length long tubes.

Now don't get me started on the highway robbery of the cat delete pipes.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I've been running e85 with ARH LTH around 2.5 years no issues and no re angling.
Have you been on the Flex or E85R tune for 2.5 years? My O2 sensors arenā€™t angled either and so far, so good, but Iā€™m only on my 6th tank of E85.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Have you been on the Flex or E85R tune for 2.5 years? My O2 sensors arenā€™t angled either and so far, so good, but Iā€™m only on my 6th tank of E85.
I run flex full time due to the blends and availability here in Phx.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
Stick with the lund tune
Mine lasted about two months. *ARH orx 1 7/8
Had the 02bungs relocated and no longer had issues.

OP, I just saw you wanted to go with a custom dyno tune.
Save yourself the headache and stick with lund. They have a LOT more experience w your setup than most shops.
Sponsored