Sponsored

Has anyone with Sync3 Nav successfully updated their maps?

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' FE, 20' FE
Bummer, I was hoping that they had just restricted the sale of said part # to dealerships only, thus effectively making it "not available" for me to order.

I cannot fathom what the hell is going on over at Ford, is it really that hard to hash out a method for updating maps? We already know that updated map files exist since they are included with each new model year. Do they have this problem will all of their product lines? Or are they just ignoring the S550's?

As I've mentioned before, the original voice activated navigation search routine was so useless that I didn't mind the maps being outdated - since they couldn't be reasonably used anyway. But about Sync3 V2 or so they reprogrammed it to be much better and almost usable. However, the first time I tried to use the new and improved voice navigation, the business location I was searching for was not included in the "years out of date" map files... DOH!!!
So I've tested the latest map updates recently for both the v1.x-v3.0 vehicles, and the v3.2+ vehicles. Last I heard, I thought FCSD was supposed to release them to dealers to be able to order sometime late this month. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of the part number they're using / will use for these.

To take advantage of the full voice changes in v3.0 (that's where the bulk of the Nav changes were made), you'd need 16Q1+ map data as it has the additional voice files that enable the full suite of added capabilities.
Sponsored

XKRJAG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT, 02 Tbird, 06 XKR
Unfortunately, I'm not aware of the part number they're using / will use for these
Part number isn't important, nav updates aren't ordered like normal parts, they're ordered through OASIS on a 1863 order like a instrument cluster. On Nav updates they have the numbers there, you just fill out the quantity box. I'm assuming on Sync3 update it'll have to have apim and vin number for the update but disc and sd cards you don't.

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Ford customer service confirmed yesterday afternoon that no Sync3 vehicle line has map updates available at this time and no ETA for them.

Seems quite silly to not have figured something out yet. My car was the first year Sync3 was available in the S550 and it is 3 years old now. Each new model year comes with newer maps so the map company is at least updating their files. For a few months last summer they had updates available, so they should have at least some idea of how to do an in field update.

Riddle me this... Since they charge a premium for Navigation and advertise map updates as a feature but then failed to produce them, wouldn't that expose them to some measure of liability? At least enough to light a fire under their "efforts" to make them available?

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
My prior car was a Mercedes that also used Here Maps. They seemed just as bad and clueless at providing updates.

Car manufactures, other than Tesla, just haven't caught on to tech savvy customers expectations for updates.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Find an APIM from a salvaged 2018. I did for under a $100 and you can see my vin which clearly says it’s a 2016 but I have 2018 maps which is the NA 1 16 (previously was NA 1 14). It even apparently had a modem which I don’t have. Easy install and a little forscan coding. This of course if you wish upgraded maps that bad. I appreciate not being on ghost roads in my area anymore as well as finding some places that seem like they have been there forever which amazingly now are in my maps. And there’s always Waze, Apple and Google maps.

6C76D869-1AA5-4A46-B160-E86010045124.jpeg
How did you get your screen to be all blue, even including the “buttons”? Is that a Forscan change?

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
What's funny is I've seen Ford GTs running the plain old ugly theme that comes on the mustangs.

I use the GT theme as well.

aclosedmind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I was thinking about bumping this thread just a few days ago...

Link looks awesome so far... I'll have to get to a legit computer and give it a shot.

My next question would be, when do they update to NA 19? Would hate to update today only to find out new maps are released next week...

Thanks for posting!

Sponsored

aclosedmind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hard to say really, but I had the same thought. I know they don't charge you for updates if you have a 2018 or newer (just verified by doing it for the wife's 2019 Lincoln Nautilus). Hoping that means that going forward I won't have to pay but who knows

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but hopefully this helps someone: https://syncnavigation.com/ford/hom...spQTi6lZz-7v7gobPRP3uRUe07naG4vbwPNt3ITLtR7-A

I just purchased (for $109) the download and updated my 2017 Mustang from NA 15 to NA 18 maps. Download took a bit, near identical to doing a Sync 3 system update. Maps did legit take an hour to update from USB, or you can order a pre-made USB from Ford.
Thanks for the update! I'm happy they are out but a bit miffed there is a charge for a new car that came outdated from the factory.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Hard to say really, but I had the same thought. I know they don't charge you for updates if you have a 2018 or newer (just verified by doing it for the wife's 2019 Lincoln Nautilus). Hoping that means that going forward I won't have to pay but who knows
Thanks, I may have posted too soon.

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
NA 19 is still in the creation process.
Inside information? Estimate for ETA? Or even a general sense of when they normally release updates?

Although, I'm not sure I want to wait for too long since the previous method of updating seems to have pulled from the shelves after only a few months...
Sponsored