Sponsored

Has anyone with Sync3 Nav successfully updated their maps?

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Update September 2019: It appears that Ford has implemented a way to update the Nav maps for Sync3. Many thanks to @aclosedmind for posting the info (see post #39). You can find the link through owner.ford.com as well. Download and install yourself, or order a USB drive from them to install yourself or at the dealer.

The HERE website used to tell me "Update not available" for the 2016 Mustang. For the most recent check, the message has been updated to:

"Please contact your dealer to purchase an update today. This product is not available on our webstore."

This was encouraging, so I called my dealer, then another, and another...

None of them know anything about the Nav Map updates. One of them was totally clueless. The next one offered to charge me the $100 programming fee to download and install whatever is most current from Ford but couldn't guarantee that I would get new maps. And the third insisted that my Sync 3 should have an SD slot for the maps and would sell me their most current map card for $200.

Then I had an online chat with the representative on the HERE website, and they basically said they didn't have any information about the Sync 3 systems... ??? (Then who is making the maps for Sync 3 systems? And shouldn't that company know EVERYTHING about what maps are available and how to get them?)

So now I'm back to asking dealers, but most of the ones around here have come up short. Any of you out there have a knowledgeable dealership and can explain whether or not new maps are available, part #'s, procedures for updating, cost, etc?

My maps version is reported as: "NA 1 14" - which I believe means North America, 1st quarter of 2014, but I could be way off on that.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Do you have a place where you can park that your car can get on wi-fi? If so, just do that, and let it update itself.

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
It is connected to Wi-Fi in my garage every night.

It has never updated maps over Wi-Fi.

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
Sync 3 cars don't have the SD card slot, I believe some 16's with Sync2 / MFT has the SD card slot but its part of the head unit and not easily accessible like most other Ford models, where its in the center console area.

Sponsored

famoussasjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Have they even released a map update for Sync 3? I don't believe we have seen an update other than the regular OS updates for Sync 3 itself.

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Have they even released a map update for Sync 3? I don't believe we have seen an update other than the regular OS updates for Sync 3 itself.
^^^ This has been one of the root questions of my quest. I got excited to see the updated message from HERE's sales website, but I'm not sure if that is just a website refresh, an attempt to get us to go bug someone else (the dealers), or a legitimate indication that an update has been approved and is out there somewhere in the digital cosmos...

When I had the chat session with the rep at HERE, he couldn't say whether or not an update exists. If I could just get confirmation, then it would be worth pursuing the dealerships until I find one that can perform the update. As it sits, additional effort with the dealerships would probably be wasted.

Maybe somebody has a friend of a friend that works at Ford in their Navigation Map Update approval department...???

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
The latest map version is NA 1 16, which is from October 2016.
How can I get it? Do I have to convince a dealer shop that they can download and update it? Or can I buy it myself and USB thumb drive auto-update?

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
How can I get it? Do I have to convince a dealer shop that they can download and update it? Or can I buy it myself and USB thumb drive auto-update?
As far as I know, there are no updates. The different versions come with different model years. NA 1 16 should be on 2018 vehicles, NA 1 15 on 2017, etc. The lack of navigation updates on Sync 3 is pretty disappointing. Not sure which thread it is, but I believe someone mentioned Ford is supposed to update the maps this year.

Sponsored

famoussasjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
The latest map version is NA 1 16, which is from October 2016.
I think that may be the original maps when Sync 3 was first released. If I recall, Hextall posted a few months back regarding updates possibly coming soon, but nothing as of yet.

famoussasjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
No one knows for sure since we have yet to get an update. Though since Sync 3 doesn't use an SD card to store the maps, I'm suspecting we'll be able to download/purchase updates and load them up on a thumb-drive.

Perhaps one roadblock they're having is how they're going to charge everyone for the update as most likely if the update is a simple download, then it'll likely be shared (sort of like how we do here with the unofficial Sync 3 updates), then they won't make money off the updates.

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I think that may be the original maps when Sync 3 was first released. If I recall, Hextall posted a few months back regarding updates possibly coming soon, but nothing as of yet.
There are different map versions. If I'm not mistaken, the first map version when Sync 3 was released is NA 1 14.

rmreid17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium
Sync 3 on my F150 has a maps update available according to the dealer last week, however it is not down loadable. The dealer needed my VIN and ESN off of my Sync module along with $150 to order it and in return you get a thumbdrive with the maps update - takes about 70 minutes according some to F150 members who have done it

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
That sounds like good news, If only the map databases are universal for all Sync3 systems.

Now to convince the dealership that it is even possible for them to do...
Sponsored