Sponsored

Has anyone with Sync3 Nav successfully updated their maps?

rmreid17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium
Called in to the 800 #, they gave me a different ESN# and everything went right thru, downloading the file right now. I did question that the ESN would not match my radio and they said everything will work just fine .... we shall see

Update: Install took the better part of an hour but went without any issues/Can't really tell much of a difference just driving around with the maps but have an upcoming weekend ride where I will use it more extensively
Sponsored

Last edited:

jody858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT
Updated mine last night. Took about an hour as the instructions said. I wasn't thrilled to idle my car for that long, but I guess it doesn't hurt anything really. My 32GB 2.0 flash drive worked fine for the install.

I can't believe I paid $109 for this bullshit, but here we are.

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic, 2011 Nissan quest
How would this work for anyone that has upgraded from a sync system to a sync 3 system.
Thanks

rmreid17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium
How would this work for anyone that has upgraded from a sync system to a sync 3 system.
Thanks
It works off of your Vin and ESN# as both are required inputs to get the update

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did that and got the update downloaded but when I ran it nothing happened.
It's not the end of the world but it is strange
Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I did that and got the update downloaded but when I ran it nothing happened.
It's not the end of the world but it is strange
Thanks
Assuming you followed all the instructions for decompressing the map files and adding your license file to map file sub directory...

I noticed that after the initial "updating", auto reboot, then second brief "updating" message, it looked completely normal with no indication of doing anything for almost 30 minutes. I assume this time was spent copying and maybe decompressing the tar balls... so if you use a slow USB stick it may take even longer.

Be sure to turn off the "Auto Engine Off" option so it doesn't shutdown before the process completes (takes nearly the entire hour using a high speed USB stick).

Are you giving it enough time to cook?

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
One other thing... The instructions on mine indicated that you must be running Sync3 v3.0 or higher for the upgrade to work. Something else to double check...

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I definitely have sync 3 v3 it just doesn't start updating
Thanks anyways

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yep, it's blinking and the ports work as i have plugged in drives with music on them and it plays
thanks

Sponsored
OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Formatted as exFAT ?

I wonder if that same 800 number can also help troubleshoot...

rmreid17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium
I definitely have sync 3 v3 it just doesn't start updating
Thanks anyways
It takes awhile for the process to get going (before you see system updating message) and complete as the update is really in 2 parts IMO that are spaced about 25 minutes or so apart

XKRJAG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT, 02 Tbird, 06 XKR
Downloaded this for the wife's Explorer since it was free. I got the install screen after about 20 minutes, after 40 mintues I get an installation error. Tried calling the 800 number it lists, that numbers staffed by morons, they informed me that there are no SYNC3 Navigation updates and when they did I'd have to get an SD card, so I figured out quickly that arguing with them was pointless. Called the number on the website with the updates, they took the info and said they'd get back to me, a couple days later I got a call telling me to call the 800 number on the screen which I'd already done. I'm going to pick up a a new USB drive since all the ones I have are the same, maybe they're the issue. I don't think I'll bother updating my Mustang, not sure its worth the hassle.

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
On the download screen there are several pdf's with instructions at the bottom. They are not clearly marked, so I wonder if some didn't see them...

Anyway, one of those pdf's had a section for troubleshooting. Did you happen to notice what type of installation error occurred?

I remember one of the install errors was caused by not copying your license file (which was a separate download) into the same sub-folder that contains the actual map files on the SD card. There may have ben more... I'll see if I can find those pdf's again.

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Here it is...

Screenshot_20190913-080442_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
Sponsored