Sponsored

Has anyone owned an R first, and went to a non-R?

Big Business

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I had a 2019 GT350R for about a month last summer until it was totaled due to a flood (about 20-22 inches of water) while sitting in my garage - KR349 / 1FA6P8JZ6K5551983. Was sold on Copart pretty recently

Paid $74k, got $77k back thanks to insurance. Nonetheless, a GT350 sized hole remains in my heart

I honestly bought the R because finding a regular MY19/20 350 with the Recaros at a normal price was taking way too long ... šŸ˜‚ Saw an R posted locally in the spec I liked and was a solid price so I jumped on it.

Anywho - has anyone here owned an R and ended up getting a regular GT350 down the road? Seems like I'd be less paranoid about actually driving it around (normal wheels, little better ground clearance) and putting miles on it because it's worth less and just not as special. I also always thought some mods like the red roll cage people fit to these looked cool, but no way in hell I'd cut into the carpet on my R when I had it šŸ˜† You can call me a poser I suppose

Let me know if I am nuts and should just get another R. Thanks
Sponsored

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
Just buy another R.
Donā€™t get me wrong ā€¦ I like the swing and wheels on the 18/20 350s

but I love the stance.. the wheelsā€¦ the rear wing on the R ā€¦

unless I couldnā€™t financially swing it Iā€™d always go for the R

I have 15k miles on my 19 now.. just did a 1000 mile road trip few weekends ago to Barret Jackson Scottsdale

my car is definitely not collector quality anymoreā€¦ but I donā€™t care.. I have memories that will stay with me my friends and my family forever ā€¦ edited ā€¦ my buddy with the Huracan Tecnica all ready has over 3k miles on it .. he just sold his 19 NSX with 17k miles and bought a NSX type S with a few hundred miles and heā€™ll put 1000s of miles on it too..

He has a neighbor that just sold his 19 Ford GT with 50k miles in it .. drive your car

IMG_2074.png
IMG_2054.png

Last edited:

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'm not quite the person you are looking for in your request, but my suggestion, get what you want and don't stress about it. The reason I didn't buy an R is the exact reason you are hesitant to buy one now. I wanted to modify, but didn't want to cut up what will be a very rare car soon. So I got the GT350 in a pretty standard trim.

If I could own an R and my current non R, I would. By the way, the non-R still sits super low. So you will still scrape. And you will likely kick yourself for not having an R still.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Big Business

Big Business

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Have been in both, was more of a philosophical question - regardless, thanks

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
If I could own an R and my current non R, I would. By the way, the non-R still sits super low. So you will still scrape. And you will likely kick yourself for not having an R still.
With apologies for a hopefully minor hijack, anybody have an idea how much lower the non-R driverā€™s seat sits than in a non-HP Mach 1? Even a close WAG would be appreciated.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
My philosophy is basically this. And this is something that I live by. And I always have. And I always will. Don't ever, for any reason, do anything to anyone, for any reason, ever, no matter what. No matter... where. Or who, or who you are with, or, or where you are going, or... or where you've been... ever. For any reason, whatsoever.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
My philosophy is basically this. And this is something that I live by. And I always have. And I always will. Don't ever, for any reason, do anything to anyone, for any reason, ever, no matter what. No matter... where. Or who, or who you are with, or, or where you are going, or... or where you've been... ever. For any reason, whatsoever.
well crapā€¦ there goes date night at my house šŸ˜‚

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Iā€™m so confused. I donā€™t know if I should rethink my life, rethink someone elseā€™s life, buy an R, buy a non-R or just sit on a log in the middle of nowhere around no one for the rest of my days šŸ¤£

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Huh?

Say what?

I must have missed something somewhere, anywhere or whatsoever.

What happened?

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I've driven my zero option 2020 350R across half the country and back. Taken it to work, to the grocery store, wherever. I did put some 20" alloy wheels with GT500-spec tires and have the CF wheels sitting in the garage. It very rarely scrapes. I have not driven a 'regular' GT350 but I would be worried that the slightly heavier car with slightly softer suspension would not be to my liking because I find the 350R to be just about perfect for my tastes. It's not my daily, though.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Took mine to Costco last weekend. Sacriligious Iā€™m sure. I had a regular 20/350 before. Still wish I had that car. Donā€™t think thereā€™s a bad choice.
IMG_4699.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big Business

Big Business

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Good stuff all. Thanks for the varied perspectives. Yes I did drive mine to the office a couple times. I put about 500 miles on it. Was actually my only car for a couple weeks šŸ˜‚ was planning on getting a beater for winter later in the year and then ended up sadly losing it in the flood

NPTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
What you ā€œsaveā€ on way in, youā€™ll lose on way out. Big difference between price and cost of ownership. R will always command a premium, and good arguments to be made as to why cost of ownership over time will be cheaper on R when you consider your exit, if any. If you have the financial means, only legit argument in my opinion to buy a standard over R would be if you plan to mod the car to high hell, such that down the road, someone would view it as just a different thing beyond reversing. Not talking about bolt onsā€¦talking about much more than that - in that case, buy a base 350 and have a field day. If you plan to stick to bolt ons or below, I say go R all day!!
Sponsored