Sponsored

Has anyone owned an R first, and went to a non-R?

Dharri21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HE, 2022 GT500 CFTP HE, 2022 Lightning
Vehicle Showcase
Took mine to Costco last weekend. Sacriligious I’m sure. I had a regular 20/350 before. Still wish I had that car. Don’t think there’s a bad choice.
IMG_4699.png
I thought yours was a garage queen. I am amazed. How many miles you got on her 500 maybe 600?
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
It is for the most part. 565. But mostly because its on a rack and takes more to get it out. I drive my 500 every weekend I can weather permitting. The reality for me isn’t about saving them, its time. My boys are still to little to put in the front seat safely and there my priority. They get first dibs at free time.

I thought yours was a garage queen. I am amazed. How many miles you got on her 500 maybe 600?

Last edited:

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Anywho - has anyone here owned an R and ended up getting a regular GT350 down the road?

Let me know if I am nuts and should just get another R. Thanks.
It's up to you. I still own my 2019 GT350
2019GT350a.jpg

Sponsored

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Depends on circumstances and your needs.

In late '16, I was unable to find an R, but did find a great deal at an out-of-the way dealership on what at the time was referred to as a base track-pack 2017 non-R.

As others have pointed out, I wanted an R and kept looking. With the help of @Tomster, I was able to secure an allocation for a 2018 R that with help from lots of people (both here and at Ford), was converted in the ordering system to be one of the last base R models ever built (JR265).

Although JR265 was a super rare and special car (maybe because of that), I found myself treating it like a garage queen and preserving it for the future. My original purpose for wanting that car was to make it a track-only weapon, but since I couldn't bring myself to use it that way, it found a new home.

That takes me to my current mount, the Rented Mule. The Mule and I have a connection going back to when I attended the Track Attack at Utah Motorsports Campus and beat on it like, well.... a rented mule. When I got home, I told a couple friends that I was amazed at how capable the GT350 is on-track, but that I just couldn't bring myself to drive JR265 the same way. After a couple years of working on another project and searching for a suitable track car, I was in the right place at the right time and was able to buy "my" car from FPRS - and thus began the legend of the Mule.

So, non-R to R to non-R. Super happy now and not looking back. That doesn't mean that JR265 and all the other Rs aren't special, they truly are that.... just not for me and my use-case.

The first of three.... H2614 in it's "wanna be" R guise - just no red anywhere.

R Wing .jpg

Then the real deal - JR265

20180601_162155.jpg

And finally, the workhorse.... or more aptly, the Mule!

Close Up Curb Jump.jpg

Last edited:

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Nope, actually was the back parking lot at Costco. Took the pic and sent to my wife and told her I was a dumbass and forgot what I was in. Bought two huge dog beds and stuff that took up a ton of space. One in the trunk and the other with the passeneger seat filled with the second dog bed. But garage queen or not, not a bad problem to have.

It is a garage queen - he staged the picture in his driveway :like:

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
You are nuts and you should get another R
What he 👆 said.
You liked the cache of driving an "R," so you're going to miss not having it again.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have not owned an R. I have tremendous respect for the R and it's owners. That being said... I wanted a back seat, comfy leather seats for long road trips, and just do not like raised decklid spoilers. From what I understand the R wing does cut into the rear view through the glass. The carbon fiber wheels are compelling but I don't like the overall design of the wheel spokes itself. It's a special car, but have no regrets in owning my regular GT350. I've seen quite a few guys go back and forth and it always is personal choice and what they are using the car for. Great to see guys putting miles on theirs and enjoying the experience. These cars are just way too epic to be sitting collecting dust.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Had a 16 GT350, thus my screen name. Owned it 3 yrs and had 20K on it when traded for the 19 R.

Wife loved the 16. When she wrecked her 2006 Mustang GT vert, I was thinking of buying the R. I told her we keep the 16 and she drives it daily and we use it for road trips. She loved the idea but was afraid of her back not being able to handle a clutch full time. (she has had 5 back surgeries in the past).

Thus, I traded it for the R and never looked back. AND she is mainly a track car with a few road trips.
X-Daytona1.png

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
X-Daytona1.png

Who's the guy in the grey R?

If you ain't first, you're last..........

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Many years later.. and I'm still looking for a '17 Grabber Blue 'R' w/ white stripes.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
X-Daytona1.png

Who's the guy in the grey R?

If you ain't first, you're last..........

He is a really great guy, I usually always let him pass. He has even taught me a thing or two on that track.
Sponsored