Hard to press clutch.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You think your '19GT is faster low end than your '14 Shelby? What do you have done to your '19?
Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
You think your '19GT is faster low end than your '14 Shelby? What do you have done to your '19?
shelby did 12.5 at 1/4 mile and gt12.4.both stock granted since there was shifing involved could have been driver but close enough.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
shelby did 12.5 at 1/4 mile and gt12.4.both stock granted since there was shifing involved could have been driver but close enough.
650+hp Shelby 5.8 should have a lot more grunt down low than a 460hp Coyote, my '09 did, and that '14 should have been low 11's all day.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
From a fellow forum member who was dealing with a very heavy clutch and also purchased the car used:

"Ford scoped the clutch and found that the flywheel is toast and the pressure plate is a heavy duty aftermarket. $2800 job."

Last edited:

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/steeda-clutch-spring-better.173206/

The thread above has a lot of feedback on the feel of the Steeda spring.

I changed to the Steeda unit and perch shortly after receiving my car. :thumbsup:.

I didn't change for the amount of force needed to engage and disengage the clutch, but for the engagement itself.

With the stock spring, I found the clutch bite and action to be an all-or-nothing event. It was either engaged completely or not. It wasn't smooth. It was difficult to find the right point in motion to connect or disconnect.

The Steeda spring made the experience smooth and fluid.

Specific to the pressure required, I don't remember a marked difference between the two. As others have mentioned, if you're having to use high amounts of force, you might have something else going on.

Without getting to involved, you could raise the car and look for tool marks around the transmission and exhaust, to see if by chance the clutch or something else has been replaced. While there, look for any seepage involving the hydraulic throwout bearing.

The spring is so cheap, I'd swap it and the perch regardless. If it doesn't work, put it back.

The factory spring involves quite a bit of pressure. :muscle:Not huge amounts, but given the position of the pedal and tension, it's awkward. Needle point vice grips and some tie wraps can help compress and hold the factory spring before removing.

And wear safety goggles. I got smacked in the face when removing my factory piece. Not that it mattered in terms of appearance, :giggle: but a cheap pair of glasses could prevent damage to an eye. :idea:

Edit,

Up top, check your clutch line, for leaks or any condition which might be allowing air to enter the system.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/urgent-check-clutch-line-at-brake-master-cylinder.84132/

With respect to the line, study the comments and use caution if handling. The connector itself and how it engages is somewhat fragile. Otherwise, a visual inspection should give confidence (or not).

Last edited:

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
idk guys, on my 2014 i replaced stock spring with the steeda and felt absolutely no difference personally. total waste of money and waste of time squeezing my butt down there to get it installed lol. i legit saw no difference.
Sponsored