Sponsored

Hard to pull the trigger!

Stevewil131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium MT Oxford White
I have been reading over the forums off and on for about a year now. I currently own a 2014 Ram (weekend car) and a 2012 Nissan Sentra (commuter). I drive about a 100 miles a day so if I purchased a Mustang it would be a weekend fun car. I drove the ecoboost shortly after it was released and really liked it. Been thinking about it ever since. I buy way too many new cars so I am always looking at the dealer auto newspaper ads, and a nearby dealer had many GT's between 5 and 6 grand off. I stopped by the out of the way dealer on my drive home a couple of days ago thinking there had to be a catch to the pricing and sure enough the price was as advertised, plus 295 for window tint. So at that point I made a big mistake and test drove a base GT manual. OH MY GOD.................... The Eco was fun but this was a whole different kinda fun. Now I can't get it out of my brain. My biggest issue is even knowing that I rarely use my truck as a truck I sure like having it. But that mustang will not leave me alone now. I can't believe I can buy that much car for 28,000 dollars. What should I do? The wife is cool with it either way, but also thinks I may miss the truck. My budget won't allow keeping both, as I have about 10 grand of equity on the ram. I am an old guy at 41 and for some reason I want a fun car again. The only other mustang I have owned was an 85 GT back in 1990. That was a fun car. Anyone else here given up a truck here for a Mustang. Sorry for the very long first post. Help me out here!
Sponsored

birdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT 6M
Get both. I have a Ram 2500 and a S550. I'm not sure which one is my DD. I try to split the miles to help keep them both low.

OP
OP

Stevewil131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get both. I have a Ram 2500 and a S550. I'm not sure which one is my DD. I try to split the miles to help keep them both low.
Sure wish I could. Budget won't allow for it. I have 4 cars between me, the wife, and daughter. Three of those have payments. Daughter is a senior and will be off to college soon. Don't want to stretch the budget out that far. Easily doable with trading the Ram.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You won't miss the ram.

Sponsored

ValkyriePilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Coupe
If you are driving that much a day I am guessing there are a few highway miles going on. You may find yourself driving your mustang on more than just weekends. It might not turn into your daily driver but driven smart you can get pretty reasonable mileage while still having the ability to open up every so often. I am also 41 and have us a mustang GT as my daily since 96 minus the last year. I couldn't take it anymore and had to order a new one myself. Pull the trigger, you will end up looking for excuses to drive your new pony.

dwroth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT Prem w/PP
Wait another 18 months then buy a used GT with low miles.

OP
OP

Stevewil131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are driving that much a day I am guessing there are a few highway miles going on. You may find yourself driving your mustang on more than just weekends. It might not turn into your daily driver but driven smart you can get pretty reasonable mileage while still having the ability to open up every so often. I am also 41 and have us a mustang GT as my daily since 96 minus the last year. I couldn't take it anymore and had to order a new one myself. Pull the trigger, you will end up looking for excuses to drive your new pony.
Thanks for the info. I am pretty sure I would drive the GT once or twice during the week. In your signature what is the CS? Is that a package? Also since you just ordered do you think I should shoot for any better than 28k on the price if I go for it? MSRP is 33200.00. Thanks again!

ValkyriePilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Coupe
CS is California Special. It was a package first available in 68 (if my memory serves correct). It is mainly an appearance package plus 19" wheels and strut tower brace. It includes a few little things that are reminiscent of the 67-68 mustang. I also own a 67 and those small things make me smile.

I am not sure about pricing on a base GT but from what have seen I believe that's a good price. They are just clearing their lot for the 16s and want to move the 15s while they can.

Thanks for the info. I am pretty sure I would drive the GT once or twice during the week. In your signature what is the CS? Is that a package? Also since you just ordered do you think I should shoot for any better than 28k on the price if I go for it? MSRP is 33200.00. Thanks again!

Sponsored

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
GT gets fairly good highway mileage, would be a good amount over the Ram, Eco is even better for highway mileage. As far as needing a truck you could always get a beater to tinker on later down the line to mess with.

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
Get the Mustang. I noticed in your original post that you described yourself as "I am an old guy at 41"...you're not old, you're just bored. It happens to just about everyone...but a new Mustang can snap you back in your seat at the same time it sheds years off of your ego and demeanor. Nothing legal can make you smile soo much! A spin around town behind a Coyote engine can do wonders for your wellbeing. Get the exhilarating Mustang and be noticed everywhere you're seen and heard. Get the Mustang and take your wife out for a "joy ride". Get the powerful Mustang and see how your daughter now thinks your "COOL". But be warned: expect everyone to notice and comment on your Mustang! So I ask you this...when was the last time a complete stranger complimented you on your Ram 1500 truck? Drive the beautiful new Mustang and you might not consider yourself old at 41 anymore...

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
I make a 120 mile round trip daily! I have a 2011 regal for my DD and picked up a GT manual in March. I truly love the days when I close to drive the mistang to work! Put way too many miles on it in 6 months. Now I enjoy looking at it in storage (Michigan) and can't wait for spring.

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
Get the Mustang. I noticed in your original post that you described yourself as "I am an old guy at 41"...you're not old, you're just bored. It happens to just about everyone...but a new Mustang can snap you back in your seat at the same time it sheds years off of your ego and demeanor. Nothing legal can make you smile soo much! A spin around town behind a Coyote engine can do wonders for your wellbeing. Get the exhilarating Mustang and be noticed everywhere you're seen and heard. Get the Mustang and take your wife out for a "joy ride". Get the powerful Mustang and see how your daughter now thinks your "COOL". But be warned: expect everyone to notice and comment on your Mustang! So I ask you this...when was the last time a complete stranger complimented you on your Ram 1500 truck? Drive the beautiful new Mustang and you might not consider yourself old at 41 anymore...
Very well said!

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I have a Cummins Ram 2500 with a tune CAI and 5'' exhaust, '05 built, blown Mustang GT and a '15 Mustang GT. I like the '15 GT the most just for driving around town or a quick 20 minute run somewhere.
Sponsored