GT500 vs ZLE

Arkarius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZL1, 2018 3.5 F-150, 2004 MSM
The Mustangs are usually somewhat looser than the Camaros, which means you're going to see that type of driving behavior in these comparisons. It's not like they are attempting one shot and only showing the footage from that run. They run these cars repeatedly trying to get the best they can out of them, and the results... are the results.
Sponsored

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
(ed. not aimed at you Minn19)

I mean really...

He would be *fired* from every organization if that was even the smallest whiff of evidence. Now maybe despite his many years of racing he's just not able to read Fords as well as he does GM or Porsche cars. That *is* a thing, you know. But to attack the integrity of a seasoned track tester who puts down remarkably consistent lap times at a variety of tracks on a slew of different cars is beyond the pale and rooted in nothing but vengeful spite at Ford's seeming inability to produce a GM-beating car at each level. If you want a different test driver to cross-check his numbers then pony up (ha) the fee to hire an alternate. If every other test driver who can put down lap times in the same bracket comes back with Ford beating GM consistently on their back-to-back tests THEN you might have some justification to cry shenanigans.
I think this is spot on

waterman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZLE, 2013 Honda Si, Grandad's 67 C2 L89
... and while peering out of a bunker with hemorrhaging kidneys and compressed spinal discs.
I received a couple of likes from this one... Ironic, it is sarcasm.

The ride of a ZLE is sublime. It performs and rides exactly as it's engineers intended. Al O. stated as such and warned that it was designed as a street legal track weapon /canyon carver/ hill climber.

If you have had actual seat time in one and it still chafes your tender buttocks then I respectfully submit, that you sir have chosen the wrong automobile for the wrong purpose or, that you are perhaps suffering from an acute case of candy ass.

Disclaimer; I am closer to 60 than I am to 50. I currently own a ZLE and a 67 C2 but have owned many Fords including a 16 GT350. I get it and have no problem with the fact that not all enthusiasts are tuned to track performance. I am not nor have ever been a "fanboy". I am a huge fan of the big 3 being relevant and competitive against a time proven and successful Euro/ Japanese performance market. This thread is GT500 (which I believe is an amazing car though I have not yet driven one) vs. ZLE. I don't believe that I have drifted off topic.

As for the bunker theory; May I submit the interior view from the Ford Performance/ Multimatic (you know, the hard mounted DSSV that makes your kidneys bleed and cracks your spine guys) Mustang GT4.
gt45.jpg

It's very unlikely that the operators of this car will ever complain that the visual restrictions that the cage creates will make them a less than competitive driver.

I know, it's a race car. With that said, we are intelligent beings that are capable of adaptation and adjustment to challenging circumstances. I will admit that it takes a couple of hours of seat time to adjust to the outward visibility of Gen 6 Camaro. Heck! it takes time to adjust to a GT350. However, once acclimated, I assure you that it does not slow you down.

What great a loss we all would have suffered, if the first true American hot rod fabricators would have thought, "let's not chop this Merc or Ford Coupe because it might interfere with our visibility"... or maybe we should make a GT46; We may lose aerodynamics and grip but we can see out of this thing so much better.

Conclusion; The ZLE bunker and stiff chassis/suspension argument needs to go away. My sarcastic comment implied that they have absolutely no negative impact on performance.

USA!

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Disclaimer; I am closer to 60 than I am to 50. !
:cwl:Thank god you cleared that up. I would have guessed You were of the millennial generation.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I received a couple of likes from this one... Ironic, it is sarcasm.

The ride of a ZLE is sublime. It performs and rides exactly as it's engineers intended. Al O. stated as such and warned that it was designed as a street legal track weapon /canyon carver/ hill climber.

If you have had actual seat time in one and it still chafes your tender buttocks then I respectfully submit, that you sir have chosen the wrong automobile for the wrong purpose or, that you are perhaps suffering from an acute case of candy ass.

Disclaimer; I am closer to 60 than I am to 50. I currently own a ZLE and a 67 C2 but have owned many Fords including a 16 GT350. I get it and have no problem with the fact that not all enthusiasts are tuned to track performance. I am not nor have ever been a "fanboy". I am a huge fan of the big 3 being relevant and competitive against a time proven and successful Euro/ Japanese performance market. This thread is GT500 (which I believe is an amazing car though I have not yet driven one) vs. ZLE. I don't believe that I have drifted off topic.

As for the bunker theory; May I submit the interior view from the Ford Performance/ Multimatic (you know, the hard mounted DSSV that makes your kidneys bleed and cracks your spine guys) Mustang GT4.
gt45.jpg

It's very unlikely that the operators of this car will ever complain that the visual restrictions that the cage creates will make them a less than competitive driver.

I know, it's a race car. With that said, we are intelligent beings that are capable of adaptation and adjustment to challenging circumstances. I will admit that it takes a couple of hours of seat time to adjust to the outward visibility of Gen 6 Camaro. Heck! it takes time to adjust to a GT350. However, once acclimated, I assure you that it does not slow you down.

What great a loss we all would have suffered, if the first true American hot rod fabricators would have thought, "let's not chop this Merc or Ford Coupe because it might interfere with our visibility"... or maybe we should make a GT46; We may lose aerodynamics and grip but we can see out of this thing so much better.

Conclusion; The ZLE bunker and stiff chassis/suspension argument needs to go away. My sarcastic comment implied that they have absolutely no negative impact on performance.

USA!
In the Golf R vs Focus RS everyone trying to choose between the two that test drove both (and the mag/YouTube tests) all focused (LoL) on the difference in daily drivability between the two. While the RS was definitely quicker on the track on and backroads, (partially due to the tires) the difference in lap times wasn’t enough for the RS to be recommended over the Golf R because of the roughness of the ride and that’s exactly why I picked it.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
In the Golf R vs Focus RS everyone trying to choose between the two that test drove both (and the mag/YouTube tests) all focused (LoL) on the difference in daily drivability between the two. While the RS was definitely quicker on the track on and backroads, (partially due to the tires) the difference in lap times wasn’t enough for the RS to be recommended over the Golf R because of the roughness of the ride and that’s exactly why I picked it.
That and the RSs RDU overheats so quickly that it becomes a FWD torque steering nightmare.

Also, neither of those are the caliber of the cars we are talking about and much more meant to be street cars than dual purpose streetable track cars.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
That and the RSs RDU overheats so quickly that it becomes a FWD torque steering nightmare.

Also, neither of those are the caliber of the cars we are talking about and much more meant to be street cars than dual purpose streetable track cars.
Point is the 500 is more dual purpose than the ZLe because of the ride. You can’t just discount the disparity in ride quality because many will put them on the track.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Point is the 500 is more dual purpose than the ZLe because of the ride. You can’t just discount the disparity in ride quality because many will put them on the track.
I'm not/never have, I was responding to what I thought of your analogy. Some people like compromised cars one way or the other.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I'm not/never have, I was responding to what I thought of your analogy. Some people like compromised cars one way or the other.
Cause' Racecar

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Cause' Racecar
Both are compromised is my point, I happen to like mine more compromised to the track/performance side and the majority here apparently like it to the comfort side.

Comparing these two cars to essentially souped family hatchbacks that will brake/heat fade etc 2-3 laps into a HPDE isn't very analogous IMO.

I'm seriously susrpside a lot of you don't just buy some version of a Hellcat and change out the wheels etc for better 1/4 mile performance. That is your comfy DD and 1/4 mile king right there with a few changes. The deals on those are crazy right now.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Both are compromised is my point, I happen to like mine more compromised to the track/performance side and the majority here apparently like it to the comfort side.

Comparing these two cars to essentially souped family hatchbacks that will brake/heat fade etc 2-3 laps into a HPDE isn't very analogous IMO.

I'm seriously susrpside a lot of you don't just buy some version of a Hellcat and change out the wheels etc for better 1/4 mile performance. That is your comfy DD and 1/4 mile king right there with a few changes. The deals on those are crazy right now.
Given identical pricepoints and performance, I don't know why anyone would choose a vehicle with compromised road manners over one that is much more civilized.

With that said, these pricepoints aren't the same...nor is performance or feel. Two very different cars.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Given identical pricepoints and performance, I don't know why anyone would choose a vehicle with compromised road manners over one that is much more civilized.

With that said, these pricepoints aren't the same...nor is performance or feel. Two very different cars.
Because I like how one feels over the other? Why would one choose a manual over a DCT? I have three cars, if I don't want my precious tush bothered like you guys, I have an F150 or my wife's M550 at my disposal. I like my fun cars to be more raw etc and well fun. I don't see a DCT GT500 being that much fun cruising around town etc. Even the reviewers that love the car have mentioned that.

You are correct, the GT500 CFTP is way overpriced when you factor in ADM. Very few are getting them at MSRP for quite a while unless the economy suddenly tanks or something. Even then it my be tough because all the rich posers who like to brag to their friends will put one in there garage and take it out only for car shows etc. . Unfortunately very few will use it for its intended purpose.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Because I like how one feels over the other? Why would one choose a manual over a DCT? I have three cars, if I don't want my precious tush bothered like you guys, I have an F150 or my wife's M550 at my disposal. I like my fun cars to be more raw etc and well fun. I don't see a DCT GT500 being that much fun cruising around town etc. Even the reviewers that love the car have mentioned that.

You are correct, the GT500 CFTP is way overpriced when you factor in ADM. Very few are getting them at MSRP for quite a while unless the economy suddenly tanks or something. Even then it my be tough because all the rich posers who like to brag to their friends will put one in there garage and take it out only for car shows etc. . Unfortunately very few will use it for its intended purpose.
You didn't get my point. Two identically handling cars....with the same feel. One has a kidney jarring ride, one has a much more compliant ride. None are choosing the the former. Don't overthink this...don't try to say....but the kidney jarring ride would have better feel. It's a simple statement that holds true. Again, I'm not saying this is what is happening with the GT500 and ZLE. It's just a statement.

With that said, the GT500 CFTP is overpriced....for you. It's overpriced for anyone not willing to scour the nation for and MSRP deal. They will sell every single one of them. People buy things for reasons beyond performance. I don't like it. You don't like it. Rich fu$%s don't care. They'll buy whatever they want regardless of price. Same goes to those folks that don't contribute to their 401k and buy $1k cell phones for their children once a year.
Sponsored