SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 on order, 2019 GT3RS, 2002 C5 Z06
I just read... excuses excuses excuses.

Now truth be told... I spoke with Randy... and he admitted the tires were shot in his opinion. But wait... guys... don't you always call BS on his opinion? Now it's the truth?

Because the 'Hosts'... all said the tires were fine... and the test was done in the morning before the other tests.

Again... to be honest... it's just fun seeing all you Ford Fanbois jump around hysterically when your $100K+ Mustang get's stomped on by a little ole' $60K Camaro! (real world prices).

It also shows... that you will need every bit of that additional 100HP and NEW tires... to be able to (hopefully) beat a 3 year old Camaro.

Just sayin' ;)

Dave
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

Now truth be told... I spoke with Randy... and he admitted the tires were shot in his opinion. But wait... guys... don't you always call BS on his opinion? Now it's the truth?

Because the 'Hosts'... all said the tires were fine... and the test was done in the morning before the other tests.

Again... to be honest... it's just fun seeing all you Ford Fanbois jump around hysterically when your $100K+ Mustang get's stomped on by a little ole' $60K Camaro! (real world prices).

It also shows... that you will need every bit of that additional 100HP and NEW tires... to be able to (hopefully) beat a 3 year old Camaro.

Just sayin' ;)

Dave
According to the thread on the C6 forums, the hosts did not all say the tires were fine. They said they were pissed when Ford delivered the car on shit tires but didn't have the time or money to buy new ones.

I can't believe you don't understand the importance of good tires at a racetrack.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)

Just sayin' ;)

Dave
And yet three of the four people in that review all picked the GT500 as the car they wanted to own at the end of the day. It's the better car.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I have to say, if the shoe were on the other foot....If they swapped the GT500 CFTP out with the base GT500 in the middle of a test, camaro idiots would be losing their shit (as they should). Who the eff does that.

Can't we get an test review out between the freaking cars already?

waterman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZLE, 2013 Honda Si, Grandad's 67 C2 L89

Just sayin' ;)

Dave

... and while peering out of a bunker with hemorrhaging kidneys and compressed spinal discs.

Sponsored

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
Well, what happened to the GT500 "decimating" the ZLE?

As expected by anyone who actually tracks cars, it's a close race. Fresh tires on both cars might yield a different outcome, but it will certainly be close.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Well, what happened to the GT500 "decimating" the ZLE?

As expected by anyone who actually tracks cars, it's a close race. Fresh tires on both cars might yield a different outcome, but it will certainly be close.
It could be close...or the GT500 could be 1-2 seconds faster. We still don't know yet.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
And yet three of the four people in that review all picked the GT500 as the car they wanted to own at the end of the day. It's the better car.
And yet, "better" is subjective. Track times are objective and the ZLE won

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
And yet, "better" is subjective. Track times are objective and the ZLE won
You can DD a CFTP 500. An old man can. Can’t say that about the ZLE. Tires were shot on delivery for the Ford, so continue to call the times objective. The GT500 is better car.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
You can DD a CFTP 500. An old man can. Can’t say that about the ZLE. Tires were shot on delivery for the Ford, so continue to call the times objective. The GT500 is better car.
But those who buy a CFTP or 1le is for the track, so ride quality isn’t a priority, those are what the base cars are for. Plus I really doubt you will see any CFTP use there car as a DD. So is the CFTP worth the extra $20k more if your going to track it?

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Plus I really doubt you will see any CFTP use there car as a DD.
Actually I would surmise that more than half of all CFTP (be it GT350 or GT500) will be DD as long as it's good weather. Granted if your commute is sitting for an hour in 3mph traffic jams, then sure less likely. I DD all my vehicles in all suitable weather conditions.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
But those who buy a CFTP or 1le is for the track, so ride quality isn’t a priority, those are what the base cars are for. Plus I really doubt you will see any CFTP use there car as a DD. So is the CFTP worth the extra $20k more if your going to track it?
Have you driven a ZLe? It’s like driving a go-kart. My fillings would fall out on some Atlanta roads. Even the video reviews online the drivers look like they are being shaken up. Plenty of people daily a GT350R and the GT500 CFTP has LESS damping. The reviews talk about how comfortable it is. It’s a better car and can do more.

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 17 Charger HC, 16 Challenger HC
That is actually a great point. The base is the far better daily in either model. The only reason to buy the CFTP is you track it or you want to be the cool kid at cars and coffee.

Have you driven a ZLe? It’s like driving a go-kart. My fillings would fall out on some Atlanta roads. Even the video reviews online the drivers look like they are being shaken up. Plenty of people daily a GT350R and the GT500 CFTP has LESS damping. The reviews talk about how comfortable it is. It’s a better car and can do more.
I've driven one. I think all the complaining about the suspension is overstated personally. Is it a 1970 Cadillac El Dorado? Nope. Have I owned Jeeps that were worse...yep. Have I driven ATL roads....yep, quite often and not that bad by U.S. standards. Try the north east. Neither the CFTP or ZLE is a great choice for a daily if you live anywhere but Arizona. At the very least you are either 1.) wearing out the tires in a hurry and swapping them thus losing much of the performance or 2.) Swapping them out in the winter unless you're stupid. Also have fun Ubering every time it rains heavy. Do people daily them? A handful. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense though. Let's not even start the convo about people removing the Carbon Fiber wheels for fear of curb rash and 6k dollar wheels. Just look at the GT350 forum if you doubt.

EDIT: 6K each I mean.

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 17 Charger HC, 16 Challenger HC
Actually I would surmise that more than half of all CFTP (be it GT350 or GT500) will be DD as long as it's good weather. Granted if your commute is sitting for an hour in 3mph traffic jams, then sure less likely. I DD all my vehicles in all suitable weather conditions.

DD as long as it's good weather isn't a DD. I DD a Charger Hellcat....every day. Rain, shine, no matter what. That is a DD. A fair weather only car is what I keep in my other garage.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
DD as long as it's good weather isn't a DD.
I was excepting persistent snow on the ground as suitable weather. Rain is just liquid sunshine. None of my cars sit in a garage - exposed to all elements all the time.
Sponsored