Sponsored

GT500 vs ZLE

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
These are the same guys who took the time to put SC2's on a SS1LE to run against a PP2, so they know where to buy tires when it suits them.
Yeah, totally forgot about that one.

There are also areas in the latest video where you can clearly see the ZLE has some type of sport cup 2 on the front. Not sure what type of shenanigans is going on with that one.
Sponsored

Checkmate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'm too cheap to enjoy the GT500. Hell, people are getting pissed at me in other threads for mentioning Fords Godzilla 7.3L in an S550 would be fun as hell.

The only reason I'm in here is for the rhetoric.
Can we all just say 'God Bless America' for giving us all of these options. We live in an amazing time. The GT500 is an excellent car and so is the ZL1 1LE and Redeye.

Different strokes for different folks.

At least we are all not forking over $100k for cars that can't keep up with the performance of these cars for the money.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Funny, trolls.last week stated the only reason gt3rs was close was because it didnt have good tires.. this week gt500 on shit tires doesn't matter. Lolololol.

Anyone suprised the 500 got pobsted again?

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Funny, trolls.last week stated the only reason gt3rs was close was because it didnt have good tires.. this week gt500 on shit tires doesn't matter. Lolololol.

Anyone suprised the 500 got pobsted again?
What do you mean, "pobsted"?

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
No, I'm in agreement with you. The tires are all on throttle house...that's their responsibility.

The car's alignment and other adjustments is totally on Ford.
This is the part i somewhat disagree with you on. Should throttle house have went the extra mile and put new tires if they had time, sure. But, if I'm Ford and I'm sending what is essentially our Halo car to what is obviously going to be some sort of a test/comparison then I'm putting my best foot forward. This means making sure the car is in excellent shape/setup properly. Who knows, maybe they were going to and somebody messed up internally, which wouldn't shock me or for some reason they didn't have the time to.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This is the part i somewhat disagree with you on. Should throttle house have went the extra mile and put new tires if they had time, sure. But, if I'm Ford and I'm sending what is essentially our Halo car to what is obviously going to be some sort of a test/comparison then I'm putting my best foot forward. This means making sure the car is in excellent shape/setup properly. Who knows, maybe they were going to and somebody messed up internally, which wouldn't shock me or for some reason they didn't have the time to.
Ford may be stupid for allowing the car to go to Throttle House with old tires and no front wickers and the rear wing not set to track mode.

Throttle House should have the knowledge and credibility to demand cars with new tires for valid testing.

Either way, both should know better or someone screwed up big time.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Tires are a wear item though. Let's say Throttle House gets the car and immediately does smokey burnouts...and then drives the car for 1k miles and then finally tests on the track. Ford can't control this process. Ford can't control the condition of tires before they test.

What they can control are items that don't get replaced or changed, i.e. alignment, wing position etc.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Ford may be stupid for allowing the car to go to Throttle House with old tires and no front wickers and the rear wing not set to track mode.

Throttle House should have the knowledge and credibility to demand cars with new tires for valid testing.

Either way, both should know better or someone screwed up big time.
Yup

All of the major magazine publications have many sets of tires on hand for testing. This is no different.

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Tires are a wear item though. Let's say Throttle House gets the car and immediately does smokey burnouts...and then drives the car for 1k miles and then finally tests on the track. Ford can't control this process. Ford can't control the condition of tires before they test.

What they can control are items that don't get replaced or changed, i.e. alignment, wing position etc.
Agreed, but at least it is fully on Throttle House or whoever then if they did this.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Agreed, but at least it is fully on Throttle House or whoever then if they did this.
I have to say, at least they commented on this and made an explanation for their times.

With that said, the test is inconclusive. It is what it is.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Yup

All of the major magazine publications have many sets of tires on hand for testing. This is no different.
They aren't a major magazine though and I suspect their budget is quite a bit smaller. Especially after bringing in the likes of Jason and Randy. Also, who knows when they got the car and if they had time to put tires on it. I do agree though that if they went that far for this test, if they did have time they should have thrown on new tires.

As I and a few others have said here from the start, all things being equal this will come down to a drivers race between the CFTP and ZLE. The CFTP will have the advantage on the straights and the ZLE will have the advantage in the corners. The problem for Ford is the massive price tag for the CFTP compared to the ZLE, especially at real world pricing.

If you want a manual plus a more visceral feeling road track car at a much better price then get the ZLE.

If you want a DCT, more refined ride etc and don't mind the price tag get the CFTP GT500.

Looks being subjective of course, but at this point, I don't think lap times/road track performance will or should enter into the equation as it is most likely to close call in that metric.

Arkarius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZL1, 2018 3.5 F-150, 2004 MSM
They aren't a major magazine though and I suspect their budget is quite a bit smaller. Especially after bringing in the likes of Jason and Randy. Also, who knows when they got the car and if they had time to put tires on it. I do agree though that if they went that far for this test, if they did have time they should have thrown on new tires.

As I and a few others have said here from the start, all things being equal this will come down to a drivers race between the CFTP and ZLE. The CFTP will have the advantage on the straights and the ZLE will have the advantage in the corners. The problem for Ford is the massive price tag for the CFTP compared to the ZLE, especially at real world pricing.

If you want a manual plus a more visceral feeling road track car at a much better price then get the ZLE.

If you want a DCT, more refined ride etc and don't mind the price tag get the CFTP GT500.

Looks being subjective of course, but at this point, I don't think lap times/road track performance will or should enter into the equation as most likely as it is to close call in that metric.
How easy to get are the GT500 cup 2's? I'm betting the GT500 arrived shortly before it was time to film and they didn't have enough time to procure new tires, even if they had the means and will to do so.

The Throttle House guys are pretty new to the scene and definitely do not have a huge budget. They do make some awesome videos with what they have, and this was definitely a leap over what they usually do.

While somewhat flawed, we do get some more data points for these cars to add to the database. The results are not entirely different from what we have seen in other tests that didn't have issues with tires. ZL1 does well keeping up from a dig on unprepped surfaces but gets absolutely smashed other than that in acceleration tests. CFTP vs ZLE look pretty close on a track.

What we *really* need to see are the base GT500/ZL1 track tests. I suspect the GT500 comes out on top here but it may be close as well.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
How easy to get are the GT500 cup 2's? I'm betting the GT500 arrived shortly before it was time to film and they didn't have enough time to procure new tires, even if they had the means and will to do so.

The Throttle House guys are pretty new to the scene and definitely do not have a huge budget. They do make some awesome videos with what they have, and this was definitely a leap over what they usually do.

While somewhat flawed, we do get some more data points for these cars to add to the database. The results are not entirely different from what we have seen in other tests that didn't have issues with tires. ZL1 does well keeping up from a dig on unprepped surfaces but gets absolutely smashed other than that in acceleration tests. CFTP vs ZLE look pretty close on a track.

What we *really* need to see are the base GT500/ZL1 track tests. I suspect the GT500 comes out on top here but it may be close as well.
Good point, they were in So Cal so I'd think if anywhere someone would've had them in stock. But, you never know, especially on a new car like the GT500 to get the right spec Cup 2s for it.
Sponsored