GT500 Track Performance

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
Well the CF wheels are sadly not very useful on track once you start going 10/10ths. In Pro racing their is a reason you don't see Carbon wheels.
Also MUCH higher likely hood of damage on track. Same with the tires, Cup2's last about 4-5 track days and they are done, With the extreme weight of the vehicle comparatively may even be less.

The Wing is Nice But I can get one for around 12k I think, and I can get better performing options for the wing for around 2k.

This is an excerpt of an interview that I can't use in an article. It is what Johnson thinks of the carbon fiber rims in on track performance.

"What's the difference between the GT350 and GT350R? 5-seconds at VIR. Tires, wheels, and aero. The tires are worth about 2-seconds. The aero is worth 2-seconds—way in the back, less top speed, air damn in the front. The wheels are worth a second. Rotating mass, less unsprung weight and it’s also less flex. Aluminum wheel with actually bend a little more, a carbon wheel is very strong, so you don’t get the flex and you have the rotational mass is worth a full second at VIR."

Regulations in racing sanctioning bodies has a lot to do why you don't see them in racing.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Rear seat saves around 40 Lbs it looks like, Not sure on wheels
To be clear - that is the weight of the rear seat and associated ancillaries. When you add the weight of the RSD kit back in you are then saving a total of about 32lbs.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Finally, a great thread thats due.

I just want to know the other #'s
1/4 miles for each and weight

Start the ricer math vs its competitors etc etc

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Well the CF wheels are sadly not very useful on track once you start going 10/10ths. In Pro racing their is a reason you don't see Carbon wheels.
Also MUCH higher likely hood of damage on track. Same with the tires, Cup2's last about 4-5 track days and they are done, With the extreme weight of the vehicle comparatively may even be less.

The Wing is Nice But I can get one for around 12k I think, and I can get better performing options for the wing for around 2k.
10/10ths is a big statement. Are you a 10/10ths driver? Tell me more about your driving......

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He can drive Tom.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apparently, there is about a 150 lbs difference between the CFTP and "base" GT500. I'm not sure if I buy that as around 100 lbs is more likely much like the GT350 and GT350R.
Automobile Magazine reported...

"Ford’s long-anticipated, upcoming Mustang Shelby GT500 produces maximum rear downforce of 550 pounds at 180 mph when equipped with the optional Mustang GT4–like rear wing that comes as part of the Carbon-Fiber Track Package. The downforce number is 379 pounds at the same speed from the Handling package’s smaller wing that features a Gurney flap (for context, the Ford Shelby Mustang GT350 produces a tad under 300 pounds of maximum downforce, the company says).
Source.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
He can drive Tom.
Ok, well that is a big statement from anyone. I still don't know who he is. And if so, what's with all the questions?

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Automobile Magazine reported...

"Ford’s long-anticipated, upcoming Mustang Shelby GT500 produces maximum rear downforce of 550 pounds at 180 mph when equipped with the optional Mustang GT4–like rear wing that comes as part of the Carbon-Fiber Track Package. The downforce number is 379 pounds at the same speed from the Handling package’s smaller wing that features a Gurney flap (for context, the Ford Shelby Mustang GT350 produces a tad under 300 pounds of maximum downforce, the company says).
Source.
I’m talking about the difference in weight not downforce.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I’m likely not gonna be able to swing this car, but these performance rumors have taken my excitement to see some of you get these to a new level. Sounds to me like it’s gonna hurt some major feelings.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple

Ok, well that is a big statement from anyone. I still don't know who he is. And if so, what's with all the questions?
Might be the5= “the Stig “

Sponsored
OP
OP

the5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT
10/10ths is a big statement. Are you a 10/10ths driver? Tell me more about your driving......
Heres a Snipet of myself from our Daytona 14 Hour Race in one of our Boss 302R's. This is also on a 200Tw Street tires, We ran the same set for 14 hours straight

You can check out our page here-https://www.facebook.com/BBYRacing/

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I remember correctly he's a fairly young kid that built a car along with his father and has SCCA, NASA, and possibly some AER experience. He's done chump races too. He's done well.

On edit....see previous post, lol.

OP
OP

the5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT
If I remember correctly he's a fairly young kid that built a car along with his father and has SCCA, NASA, and possibly some AER experience. He's done chump races too. He's done well.
AER, SCCA,WRL and Champ Car. Next race is Champ Car 24 hour at VIR

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good luck!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
AER, SCCA,WRL and Champ Car. Next race is Champ Car 24 hour at VIR
So based on your earlier statement, either you've spent a bunch of time A/B testing different designs of carbon fiber rims on track vs. aluminum or you know someone who has?

Please tell us where your in-depth knowledge of carbon fiber rims has come from.
Sponsored