Sponsored

GT500 Track Performance

the5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT
Has anyone heard anything on ACTUAL track performance on the GT500?
Lap times?
XX:XX faster than (Insert car)

I know Billy Johnson was testing these cars at VIR and against the Ford GT, I wish we could have that data :)
(pictured Below)

D21OxYzXgAIRwE1.jpg

D3IxxvtXkAAH2Ge.jpg

D4V18RgXkAAaOau.jpg
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
No data available, just assurances.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Word on the street from those in the know is the GT500 with the CFTP is faster than the Ford GT on track. Ford really should update the very general performance specs they published as they're doing the car a disservice.

I'm not sure if Ford will actually say it's faster than a Ford GT publically as to not upset people with 2020 Ford GT orders left to be fulfilled.

One thing that's a guarantee is the GT500 regardless of having the CFTP is faster than the Ford GT in the 1/4 mile.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
That is indeed the word. The tires on the GT were said to be anything other than fresh though...

Sponsored

OP
OP

the5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT
Word on the street from those in the know is the GT500 with the CFTP is faster than the Ford GT. They really should update the very general performance specs they published as they're doing the car a disservice.

I'm not sure if they'd actually say it's faster than a Ford GT publically as to not upset people with 2020 Ford GT orders left to be fulfilled.

One thing that's a guarantee is the GT500 regardless of having the CFTP is faster than the Ford GT in the 1/4 mile.
I really dont expect the CFTP to be that much faster than the base. The only parts that it has is the wing (which can be purchased) and the Lighter carbon wheels. You can also buy an aftermarket race wing which makes even more downforce.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I really dont expect the CFTP to be that much faster than the base. The only parts that it has is the wing (which can be purchased) and the Lighter carbon wheels. You can also buy an aftermarket race wing which makes even more downforce.
Apparently, there is about a 150 lbs difference between the CFTP and "base" GT500. I'm not sure if I buy that as around 100 lbs is more likely much like the GT350 and GT350R.

OP
OP

the5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT
Apparently, there is about a 150 lbs difference between the CFTP and "base" GT500.
Rear Seat Delete, Lighter wheels, Lighter Spoiler

Rear seat saves around 40 Lbs it looks like, Not sure on wheels

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Oh contraire…..

OP
OP

the5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT
Oh contraire…..
Probably stickier tires as well that adds alot to lap time.

I dont plan to keep the car stock so alot of the CFTP is a waste for me.

So in track Performance Differences-

-Stickier Tires
-Less Weight (rear Seat, Wheels, Wing)
-better Front Aero (wickers and Side Skirts (can be ordered))
-Better Rear Aero

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Probably stickier tires as well that adds alot to lap time.

I dont plan to keep the car stock so alot of the CFTP is a waste for me.
Do the math. The $18.5K shock of the CFTP sounds like a lot, but the wheels alone would run you 24K retail. Street price is about 20K. Throw the wing, camber plates, Sport cup 2's, splitter wickers, and the sum makes it a bargain.

Unless you don't need CF, but that's part of the whole weight/performance advantage.

OP
OP

the5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT
Do the math. The $18.5K shock of the CFTP sounds like a lot, but the wheels alone would run you 24K retail. Street price is about 20K. Throw the wing, camber plates, Sport cup 2's, splitter wickers, and the sum makes it a bargain.

Unless you don't need CF, but that's part of the whole weight/performance advantage.
Well the CF wheels are sadly not very useful on track once you start going 10/10ths. In Pro racing their is a reason you don't see Carbon wheels.
Also MUCH higher likely hood of damage on track. Same with the tires, Cup2's last about 4-5 track days and they are done, With the extreme weight of the vehicle comparatively may even be less.

The Wing is Nice But I can get one for around 12k I think, and I can get better performing options for the wing for around 2k.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The S550 rear seat delete kit from Ford Racing saved exactly 32 lbs. I know, I installed a pair of them and weighed each and every component. The GT500 RSD looks to be identical to the GT350R/FR kit.

The difference in weight between the CF wing and the base+Gurney will be minor.

And I forget but I thought Ford was quoted as saying the GT500 CF wheels saved a total of 60 lbs over that of the "lesser" models.

So 100lbs I can see. 150lbs? No.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Word on the street from those in the know is the GT500 with the CFTP is faster than the Ford GT on track. Ford really should update the very general performance specs they published as they're doing the car a disservice.

I'm not sure if Ford will actually say it's faster than a Ford GT publically as to not upset people with 2020 Ford GT orders left to be fulfilled.

There’s a new variant of a ford GT to be revealed right away. That’ll be the top dog.

Think more lemans than the street version.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well the CF wheels are sadly not very useful on track once you start going 10/10ths. In Pro racing their is a reason you don't see Carbon wheels.
Also MUCH higher likely hood of damage on track. Same with the tires, Cup2's last about 4-5 track days and they are done, With the extreme weight of the vehicle comparatively may even be less.

The Wing is Nice But I can get one for around 12k I think, and I can get better performing options for the wing for around 2k.
10/10ths, huh? I don't think any of what you are saying makes sense.
Sponsored