Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB PP GT w/ RECARO's & ITR swapped '94 hatch
a C7 over a ZR1?

a GT over a Shelby or a Boss?

you're silly...
I did....There were a couple Boss 302's for sale at around the same price. It was a hard choice but the 2015 GT has better performance, at least around a track. It also has a more attractive interior and better comfort.
Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
+1..the boss is awesome for what it is, but I would gladly take the larger brakes and proper rear suspension of the 15 PP and lose a little horse power over the boss. The thing I hate the most of my 2012 is how unsettled the rear can get when you hit large bumps mid corner, and even if you drop the coin for all the upgraded cortex/griggs goodies its still going to be an issue in some cases.

MrBillton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302 LS, 2018 Charger Scat Pack
I did....There were a couple Boss 302's for sale at around the same price. It was a hard choice but the 2015 GT has better performance, at least around a track. It also has a more attractive interior and better comfort.
please do not take anything I say as a knock against a GT (since I own one) and have several friends with them...but no matter what, a GT will never be a Shelby or a Boss, no matter what modifications you do...

there is more to buying a car than hypothetical track times (or even real track times, unless you specifically bought the car for this)...next year, those Boss 302's will be worth more money...you could have bought a Boss, drove it for a year, then sold it and bought a 2015 GT and pocketed a few thousand bucks

+1..the boss is awesome for what it is, but I would gladly take the larger brakes and proper rear suspension of the 15 PP and lose a little horse power over the boss. The thing I hate the most of my 2012 is how unsettled the rear can get when you hit large bumps mid corner, and even if you drop the coin for all the upgraded cortex/griggs goodies its still going to be an issue in some cases.
once again, there is more to buying a car than hypothetical track performance...the Boss also has a unique motor. it's not "just a Coyote with a special Intake manifold"

and to counter the point that a 15 can do better around a track, a Boss is faster in a drag race, with or without mods...so what? these are not the only important metrics for buying a car (unless it was purchased solely for one of those purposes)

also, none of this makes any mention of a Shelby or the ZR1 over C7 statements, which was also part of my point...not just the Boss

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
please do not take anything I say as a knock against a GT (since I own one) and have several friends with them...but no matter what, a GT will never be a Shelby or a Boss, no matter what modifications you do...

there is more to buying a car than hypothetical track times (or even real track times, unless you specifically bought the car for this)...next year, those Boss 302's will be worth more money...you could have bought a Boss, drove it for a year, then sold it and bought a 2015 GT and pocketed a few thousand bucks

Ah yes, I love it when people tell others why they should or shouldnt buy a car :headbonk::headbonk::crazy::crazy:

Different folks, different strokes, its as simple as that. what you want/need/like out of a car is not going to be the same as everyone else

I personally would not buy a older GT500 or Boss, especially since I already own a coyote and already know exactly what I don't like about the chassis/suspension, regardless of any potential benefits in terms of resale, since I don't buy cars as investments, I look at them at face value, depreciating assests.

I also personally would not by a C6 of any kind or choose a C6Z/Zr1 over the new GT350, regardless of the theoretical track times and proven performance (mainly by professional drivers). The C7 is a more attractive package, but alas I still have the GT350 on order because it caters to my interests.

Mike00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Triumph Thunderbird
I saw a few modern vettes on Saturday, what pieces of crap. They seriously look like giant plastic toys. I could never own a car that looks so cheap. I understand it's a way to save on price to make such a high performing car, but I just can't take the look. I saw a 70s vette, and now that was nice.
Seems a little over the top here. It's one thing to say it's not for you but it's something else entirely to say one of the hottest releases of an American sports car in years is not a nice looking car.

Cheap? I know people who have compared them in look to a Lambo/Ferrari particuarly the white with the accent packages.

I get it's not for you but to say it looks cheap, particularly with that interior, is a little over the top.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I saw a few modern vettes on Saturday, what pieces of crap. They seriously look like giant plastic toys. I could never own a car that looks so cheap. I understand it's a way to save on price to make such a high performing car, but I just can't take the look. I saw a 70s vette, and now that was nice.
I like the looks of the 70s vettes, but they are really underpowered (unless you are talking about the 70 or 71).

To me the styling was great in the 50s and 60s but after that all the way up to the latest model it was somewhat bland. Now with the C7 they finally did a great job with styling again. Slightly too obvious a ripoff of a Ferrari rather than being original, but still I really like the C7.

I agree they look a little cheap and the interiors aren't that great, but I don't tend to care about that stuff as much, so it doesn't really bother me.

MrBillton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah yes, I love it when people tell others why they should or shouldnt buy a car :headbonk::headbonk::crazy::crazy:

Different folks, different strokes, its as simple as that. what you want/need/like out of a car is not going to be the same as everyone else

I personally would not buy a older GT500 or Boss, especially since I already own a coyote and already know exactly what I don't like about the chassis/suspension, regardless of any potential benefits in terms of resale, since I don't buy cars as investments, I look at them at face value, depreciating assests.

I also personally would not by a C6 of any kind or choose a C6Z/Zr1 over the new GT350, regardless of the theoretical track times and proven performance (mainly by professional drivers). The C7 is a more attractive package, but alas I still have the GT350 on order because it caters to my interests.
what's wrong with giving reasons for buying or not buying a certain car...I'm pretty sure that's what everyone does when evaluating literally anything...reasons why and why not...quit being a douche...

I was just making arguments for the other side on why many many people and Mustang enthusiasts would choose the other route.

Who said anything about investments? I didn't say you were going to make a bunch of cash or build a car portfolio...I made a point that one could purchase the Shelby or Boss and have not lost any money on it for the last year or two...that literally can't be said about pretty much any other car...as a Mustang guy, why would you not appreciate that?

MrBillton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems a little over the top here. It's one thing to say it's not for you but it's something else entirely to say one of the hottest releases of an American sports car in years is not a nice looking car.

Cheap? I know people who have compared them in look to a Lambo/Ferrari particuarly the white with the accent packages.

I get it's not for you but to say it looks cheap, particularly with that interior, is a little over the top.
I agree with you...def seems a little over the top...just because someone bought a brand new 2015 model of a car, isn't a green light to bash the interior of cars a generation older or even 10+ years older...you'd think people would have some relativity when comparing...

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Let me get this straight,you call the personal decisions of others "silly" for no rhyme or reason, I simply highlight the fact that different people like different things, yet IM the douche. Lol brilliant

MrBillton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
there were reasons, I mentioned a couple of them in a later post...I def acknowledge I was being facetious with my comment :)

that is not "simply" all you highlighted...lol

anyways, back onto Mustang talk, just curious but 10 years ago would you have rather had an '05 GT or an '04 Cobra? or before that, a '98 Cobra or a '99 GT?

Let me get this straight,you call the personal decisions of others "silly" for no rhyme or reason, I simply highlight the fact that different people like different things, yet IM the douche. Lol brilliant

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
None of the above, but that's just me. The s550 was the first purpose built unibody with an IRS in mind, not really and apples to apples comparison. (And yes I know the 04 cobra has an IRS but not the same level of developement went into it). I bought the coyote basically for the motor, knowing the suspension wasn't the best. Now that you can get the same motor or better is a better suited chassis, it's a no brainier for me( even if the boss is faster stock for stock) it will still have issues in certain road conditons

MrBillton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I didn't word that right...

10 years ago, when the s550 didn't exist...would you have rather had an 05 GT or an 04 Cobra? and in 1999, would you rather have had a 98 GT or a 99 GT?

I was trying to say those comparisons are relatively similar in nature to the '15 s550 or a '13 Boss/Shelby comparison.

What about beyond the road conditions though man? Aren't there other reasons to get a Mustang, that's why people get classics right? I think you are looking at things from the daily driver perspective...and in that case I can see why the s550 is more desirable...in the case of overall ownership I'd personally go the Boss/Shelby route...anyways, I think it's a fun discussion...how about on the vette...would you go for a c7 stingray or a zr1?

None of the above, but that's just me. The s550 was the first purpose built unibody with an IRS in mind, not really and apples to apples comparison. (And yes I know the 04 cobra has an IRS but not the same level of developement went into it). I bought the coyote basically for the motor, knowing the suspension wasn't the best. Now that you can get the same motor or better is a better suited chassis, it's a no brainier for me( even if the boss is faster stock for stock) it will still have issues in certain road conditons

Last edited:

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Actually the exact opposite, I don't daily drive the car at all, I'm speaking mainly from a spirited/track driving perspective. I would go with a c7 z51 over a zr1, but the gt350 over both. I like smooth high revving v8s, that's why I bought th coyote despite the solid rear. I'm beyond excited I can get an even higher revving v8 and proper suspension in the same package with the gt350

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
anyways, back onto Mustang talk, just curious but 10 years ago would you have rather had an '05 GT or an '04 Cobra? or before that, a '98 Cobra or a '99 GT?
I was never interested in a Ford with the 4.6. When that motor came out it was a total boat anchor. I understand it got better, and there were some actual good cars with a boosted 4.6, but they were the "special" high buck Mustangs.

Then the Mustang also got really ugly, especially in the mid to late 90s. That didn't help. I didn't mind the new edge and I liked the 2005 when it came out, but the 4.6 was still in there. So I never wanted a Mustang between '94 and 2011. I was still daily driving 80s Foxes with engine swaps when I decided to go to newer cars sometime in 2011. The 2010 design change was really beautiful, but it took the change to the 5.0 with 100 more hp to actually convince me to buy a newer Mustang.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
I was never interested in a Ford with the 4.6. When that motor came out it was a total boat anchor. I understand it got better, and there were some actual good cars with a boosted 4.6, but they were the "special" high buck Mustangs.

Then the Mustang also got really ugly, especially in the mid to late 90s. That didn't help. I didn't mind the new edge and I liked the 2005 when it came out, but the 4.6 was still in there. So I never wanted a Mustang between '94 and 2011. I was still daily driving 80s Foxes with engine swaps when I decided to go to newer cars sometime in 2011. The 2010 design change was really beautiful, but it took the change to the 5.0 with 100 more hp to actually convince me to buy a newer Mustang.

A man after my own heart. I did like the 94-95 sn95 (with 5.0) but the 2v 4.6 and new edge was a combo of ugly as hairy butt crack and pointless motor. It was dark years to be ford fan with Chevy pumping out 275 and 300 hp LT and LS motors. The 03 cobra turned the game up some, but it has so many flaws. The 05 was better and that motor loved boost but still really no more potential than a well built 302. I had my old trusty 91 all those years (with a couple 03-04 Cobras thrown in). Then the 11 came along. Finally the light at the end of a dark performance tunnel.
Sponsored