Sponsored

LS vs Bullitt vs GT350

hasta_luego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 T4R TRD Pro, '16 VW GSW
Looking for my first mustang. Lots options but.... if you had to settle on just one, and it was a weekend car, which would you pick?

2013 Boss 302 LS very low mileage (Mint).

2019 or 2020 Bullitt

2019 or 2020 GT350

I just recently test drove a Bullitt, but I also found a few low mileage ‘13 Boss LS for sale. The Bullitt and LS on paper seem very comparable, numbers wise. Interior is obviously different. I do worry about the MT-82 transmission weakness though, especially long term. Finally, I could easily pick a GT350 off the lot here for sticker or less. Or order a 2020.

I’m looking for smiles per miles, wow factor, rarity, occasional track time, etc. I have two other vehicles so this would be driven during the summer months, primarily weekends. Although, I plan to drive Route 66 again next Spring and would take whichever vehicle I decide upon. I’m also considering an M2 Comp or a used V6 Cayman GTS. But we can confine this to the mustang choices. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
For Track performance, from what I read the 2015 with Performance Package is faster around some tracks than the BOSS is, you also get more modern comforts and an IRS. I'm not sure if that fully applies to the Leguna Seca also, but if you track that may matter to you. The BULLITT should be faster and be more comfortable. The GT350 will easily beat both others around a track, more of a drivers race in a straight line with the BULLITT.

The GT350 has that amazing Flate Plane Crank sound, the BOSS has a great dual exit side exhaust and the BULLITT is tuned to try and sound a bit more like classic American muscle. Though Ford sells a side exit exhaust for the BULLIT and I think the GT350 as well.

The GT350 tranny is more durable than the MT-82 thoguth with the new revisions I hear about a LOT less breaking in 18-19 cars, usually just a shift fork in the 18's that was revised for the 19's, so the BULLITT should have the revised shift fork fixing that issue. The GT350 is also geared more for track use, the MT-82 is more for daily driving comfort. Due to that and the 5.0 having more low end tq than the 5.2 I've hard some say the 5.0 is a bit more comfortable for daily driving with lots of stop and go. That said I've not heard anyone complain about driving a GT350 everyday.

The LS and BULLITT are more rare to see for me. I've never seen any in the wild other than mine.

The BOSS will ride and look more like old school muscle, the GT350 will be more of a track star, and the BULLIT IMO is more of a comfortable middle.

I hope this helps you some.

OP
OP
hasta_luego

hasta_luego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the detailed response. I appreciate it. My impression of the Bullitt was that it felt like a back road bomber. Great engine sounds, plenty of torque, fast, but it felt very cushy. To me.

Now, I had it in Sport mode, but it didn’t feel nearly as tied together as I would have liked. For example, my wife’s Golf SportWagen feels more taught and tighter handling. That’s the feeling I’m looking for. Wondering if the Shelby will give me that. I can’t imagine driving the Bullitt in track mode everyday. Maybe there was more adjustment that I could’ve made on the Bullitt.

Last edited:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Thanks for the detailed response. I appreciate it. My impression of the Bullitt was that it felt like a back road bomber. Great engine sounds, plenty of torque, fast, but it felt very cushy. To me.

Now, I had it in Sport mode, but it didn’t feel nearly as tied together as I would have liked. For example, my wife’s Golf SportWagen feels more taught and tighter handling. That’s the feeling I’m looking for. Wondering if the Shelby will give me that. I can’t imagine driving the Bullitt in track mode everyday. Maybe there was more adjustment that I could’ve made on the Bullitt.
Thats exactly why I'm adding the parts I have in my signature. It's more of a long road cruzer or touring car than a tight handler like the GT350. I plan to keep the car in Normal or Sport+ most of the time as it is my daily, but I wanted to also be able to put down some nice numbers at the few SCCA events I go to a year and feel more tight on the few fun twisty roads in my area.

My last car was a 2003 Mach1, so I knew what it would take to make a solid rear keep up with a good IRS and just didn't want to invest that money when I was looking at a 2012 BOSS.

OP
OP
hasta_luego

hasta_luego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got it. Thanks! For some reason, the signatures don't show up when using my cell phone. How much noticeable is the suspension firmness when in Track vs Sport+? I gather that the handling still isn't quite what you are looking for, hence the parts. Really want a car that handles like it's on rails.

Sponsored

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
Got it. Thanks! For some reason, the signatures don't show up when using my cell phone. How much noticeable is the suspension firmness when in Track vs Sport+? I gather that the handling still isn't quite what you are looking for, hence the parts. Really want a car that handles like it's on rails.
The 350 will beat the Bullitt in the "handling like its on rails" area but not by much off track. Not sure mine ever felt cushy but it rides less harsh on bumpy roads than the 350. You could always look into lowering it and a little heavier springs if it needs to be tighter for you. The 350 is already low and tight.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
The 350 will beat the Bullitt in the "handling like its on rails" area but not by much off track. Not sure mine ever felt cushy but it rides less harsh on bumpy roads than the 350. You could always look into lowering it and a little heavier springs if it needs to be tighter for you. The 350 is already low and tight.
To that point I'd really like to see a GT350, 350R, PP2, and a PP1 with Ford Performance Magneride handling kit.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Take the boss out of the equation. That car was ok at best when it came out, and today it can't compete. I had one, got rid of it, never looked back.

OP
OP
hasta_luego

hasta_luego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I’ll also try and test drive a GT PP2. Sounds like you could add the Shelby plenum and Cold Air intake from Ford Performance (make it similar to a Bullitt). But, at that point, I could probably just get a GT350, which are selling under sticker around here. Gotta drive one of those too.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
You can get a loaded PP2 for 45K new after discounts and such, 50K if you just pay sticker. Even after doing any mods you want you'll be decently under the price of any new GT350.

They also dont sell an offical 350 swap for the 2018+, its also not really woth much power, the BULLITT only dynos a little more than a GT. You'd be just as good, or better going to a Ported 2018+ Manifold and getting a tune. A BULLITT + tune is about same WHP as a GT350 and a little more WTQ.

I was tossed between a PP2, GT350 and BULLITT. The GT350 I just couldn't justify the price for how little I track, and the PP2 me was mostly just a GT with handling kit on it. I also REALLY love dark green. So to me it made more sense to get the BULLITT and then pick up about $1500 in handling parts, then get an ECU tune. Aside from driver ability, I should be slot between a PP2 and GT350 in performance when done.

Last edited:

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
You can get a loaded PP2 for 45K new after discounts and such, 50K if you just pay sticker. Even after doing any mods you want you'll be decently under the price of any new GT350.

They also dont sell an offical 350 swap for the 2018+, its also not really woth much power, the BULLITT only dynos a little more than a GT. You'd be just as good, or better going to a Ported 2018+ Manifold and getting a tune. A BULLITT + tune is about same WHP as a GT350 and a little more WTQ.

I was tossed between a PP2, GT350 and BULLITT. The GT350 I just couldn't justify the price for how little I track, and the PP2 me was mostly just a GT with handling kit on it. I also REALLY love dark green. So to me it made more sense to get the BULLITT and then pick up about $1500 in handling parts, then get an ECU tune. Aside from driver ability, I should be slot between a PP2 and GT350 in performance when done.

Yeah, the bullitt is package perfectly for the streets and daily conquests. And I thought of moding a bullitt for track use, would be a nice touch, instead of the PP2 but due to an accident I may need to get an auto. So now I am not in too much hurry/enthusiastic.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Yeah, the bullitt is package perfectly for the streets and daily conquests. And I thought of moding a bullitt for track use, would be a nice touch, instead of the PP2 but due to an accident I may need to get an auto. So now I am not in too much hurry/enthusiastic.
Sorry to hear. Hope it all works out. Worse case is you get an auto PP1 and build it up!

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Here's a comparison of the Boss 302 to the GT350, for reference:

OP
OP
hasta_luego

hasta_luego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^ thanks, yeah, I’ve seen that video. Watched the Steeda Bullitt tune video too.
Honestly, I’ve been doing nothing but watching you tube videos and reading threads for the last few days. Lol.

I too like the DHG paint. I just don’t want to have any regrets on not getting the Shelby. Oxford white with blue stripes sings to me too! Plus, the Shelby moniker and heritage.

When I bought my new 2011 WRX, I didn’t get the STi because the WRX was actually faster 0-60, which was fine. But I overlooked that it didn’t handle anywhere as good as the STi, was lower on horsepower, and, every time I saw an STi, or watched a Rallye event, I felt that I should’ve gotten the higher model.

When I bought my 4Runner I went all the way and special ordered a TRD Pro and in a limited color (Quicksand) only available on that trim level, and only for one year. I’ve only used it off-road once but I love the look and exclusivity of the paint color. I have zero regrets and I almost never see another of me on the road.

I do worry about potential warranty issues if I have to start modding immediately. I’d rather buy a new, turn key perfect setup. I'd start looking at a used 997.2 Carrera S and a 981 Cayman GTS again, if I'm not going to have a warranty. Appreciate all the help.
Sponsored

Last edited: