Sponsored

GT350 Shipping weight

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
It will be interesting to find out what minimum octane Ford recommends. I'm sure it will run fine on 91 at a minimum.

I bet this beast will really make power when it's below zero!!
I sure hope so... I think the compression is insanely high, the 'Yote was 11:1. I think the Voodoo is much higher.

Maybe TiVCT can keep up, maybe not. I'm not even sure how TiVCT operates on an FPC V8.

I know one thing, I surely wouldn't want 87 or 89 in there and that's exactly what they would use.
Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
They have predictive mapping based on signs of pre-detonation, so you don't actually have to experience knock before it starts to adjust. And with the TIVCT, the ECU can adjust ignition timing as well as cam timing, so the high static compression isnt as critical when the engine can actively alter valve overlap

Here is the blurb form teh coyote owner manual, which is also considered high compression by most

Octane recommendations (5.0L V8 engine)
Your vehicle is designed to run on regular fuel with an octane rating of 87 (R+M)/2 or higher. For best overall performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 (R+M)/2 or higher is recommended.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I sure hope so... I think the compression is insanely high, the 'Yote was 11:1. I think the Voodoo is much higher.

Maybe TiVCT can keep up, maybe not. I'm not even sure how TiVCT operates on an FPC V8.
It is much much higher, 12:1, but ford still has to accommodate to states that only have 91, so I would expect a small peak HP drop vs 93, but overall drive-ability is going to be similar. However, I don't expect anything in the manual about using 87 with the voodoo, likely recommend using the highest you can get your hands on.

And I don't see why the TiVCT will operate any differently, they just have to tune it for the different operate firing order.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
They have predictive mapping based on signs of pre-detonation, so you don't actually have to experience knock before it starts to adjust. And with the TIVCT, the ECU can adjust ignition timing as well as cam timing, so the high static compression isnt as critical when the engine can actively alter valve overlap

Here is the blurb form teh coyote owner manual, which is also considered high compression by most

Octane recommendations (5.0L V8 engine)
Your vehicle is designed to run on regular fuel with an octane rating of 87 (R+M)/2 or higher. For best overall performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 (R+M)/2 or higher is recommended.
From Ford

These rotating components squeeze incoming air and fuel with a frighteningly high 12-to-1 compression ratio and apparently thatā€™s ok. Thanks to exhaustive computer modeling the engine runs just fine on 93 octane pump gas and it doesnā€™t even have direct injection. According to Ladner this feature ā€œwasnā€™t necessary to meet our performance targets,ā€ plus DI systems are heavier and add cost.
I'd say 91 is safe with TiVCT but nothing under. It's 12:1 and that usually requires some hefty octane.

If I were one of you, I would probably start a thread and bring this concern up ASAP. People need to know fuel requirements for this vehicle.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm not really concerned, CA and many other states now only offer 91 (since many states have now adopted CA's emissions standards). Ford would not sell a car that was going to have issues in many many areas

Sponsored

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
Computers and sensors are all reactive not proactive. No matter what is in the manuals or what the Manufacturer says it can run on. Something bad is required to occur before the programming corrects the timing to compensate.

Let me repeat for all those living in a state where higher octane fuels are not available....

Detonation is required before any compensation is made.

The motor will be retarded to compensate and therefore....not running at peak performance at all times.

Just saying.

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
Agreed. I'm just saying with all the development they've done the 5.2 will have the same ability to detune to prevent damage as the 5.0 no matter how shitty your gas is. Ford may very well say "Premium Fuel Required" but I'm betting it doesn't explode when the first guy puts 87 octane in it.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Computers and sensors are all reactive not proactive. No matter what is in the manuals or what the Manufacturer says it can run on. Something bad is required to occur before the programming corrects the timing to compensate.

Let me repeat for all those living in a state where higher octane fuels are not available....

Detonation is required before any compensation is made.

The motor will be retarded to compensate and therefore....not running at peak performance at all times.

Just saying.
I think you should probably start a thread containing those warnings. Ask the questions now. We are smart enough here, we don't need to wait for official press releases.

It is obviously a concern, you seem to know compression. It only makes sense to at least bring it up.

Chance are it will run on 91 but as you say, is it good?

Running 87/89 in a coyote is not good... so, I think our Mustang fans need to be aware. They deserve that info at the very least so they can make an informed decision.

Thanks bud, I'll check in on Ya' and keep the bads out ;)

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
That is really not true, the ecm has a long list of sensors it reads from and can predict when conditions are ripe for detonation based on IATs, A/F ratio (most new cars now have precat widebands), incoming mass flow, oil/coolant temps, etc.

Will there be a slight performance decrease on 91? yes of course, I am guessing 1-2% less peak power. The coyote was only 10hp less on 87 that it was on 91. Is it a ticking time bomb that is knocking all the time with the ecm pulling timing to not grenade? Not even close.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
That is really not true, the ecm has a long list of sensors it reads from and can predict when conditions are ripe for detonation based on IATs, A/F ratio (most new cars now have precat widebands), incoming mass flow, oil/coolant temps, etc.

Will there be a slight performance decrease on 91? yes of course, I am guessing 1-2% less peak power. The coyote was only 10hp less on 87 that it was on 91. Is it a ticking time bomb that is knocking all the time with the ecm pulling timing to not grenade? Not even close.
Mustang6G will have all the info prior to Ford even showing the final car. I also see your point and agree they would find a way.

I want to know for sure and I'm eager to see what you guys bring up. If there is potential for a misunderstanding, I think we should beat the horse until Ford is forced to go public.

No big deal either way, I would just like to see some drivetrain banter (intelligent) for a change.

It's an incredible feet the Voodoo but yet we never dissect the powerplant.

We will argue a pound for 2 and a half years but spend less than 2 days on Voodoo discussion :lol:

Sponsored

ITLRUN

HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186
There is a lot of information being spewed all over this forum. Not all of it is factual.

SMH...

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You donā€™t want to know
I know one thing, I surely wouldn't want 87 or 89 in there and that's exactly what they would use.
I even have it written into my order that I will drive the car off the dealer's lot for the first fill-up.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I even have it written into my order that I will drive the car off the dealer's lot for the first fill-up.
That is something that needs to be circulated. Very smart and in your buyers rights. I'd bring that into discussion regardless of this debates outcome.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Some places in north Texas like Amarillo only offer 90 octane. I don't live there, but I've been in that area before. Those guys may want to check into it.
Sponsored