honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I think it is wise to recall many respected magazines and journalist have highly rated the GT350 as one of their top drivers choice (#2, beat only by Porsche new 911 at a much much higher price), also a "GOAT" (Greatest of all time) pick, etc. It is true that there may be a better way from a technical point of view if your only goal is to create power (electric motor?) , but I think Ford did this one to have a special driving experience.... and with the special sounds and (for a V8) HIGH RPM's, I will let the expert reviews do the talking for me. In mine, I do not have any more vibration or noise in the FPC than in my other cars.... so whatever Band-Aids they must of used, it works Any kid with daddy's money can buy a GT500 or get an A10 GT and reach out to Fathouse or Steeda and be faster, but then to some it's just another fast car but with what some might argue has less individual soul or personality.

You've nailed the issues that I see when people debate this issue. So many argue from the perspective that Ford was trying to build the ultimate race car engine. They weren't. It's fairly obvious Ford built this entire car (engine and all) with the driving experience in mind. That said, it also doesn't mean it was all marketing and the Voodoo is just a gimmick. It did win an IMSA championship its first year...
Sponsored

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Voodoo crank is actually about 47lbs or so (mine was 47.2).

There's a lot to the posts above...some good info mixed in with some large assumptions. Not really going to debate every detail, but what I will say is that the CPC and FPC variants are both perfectly suitable for racing - it comes down to what type of RPM and power curve you want. If you want to ring it out and keep it there, the FPC is better (narrower power band, but smoother). If you want torque and lower RPMs, the CPC is better for that.

I agree with your sentiment about NVH, but that's a problem for all+ big displacement FPCs - not just Ford's (the C8R is having similar issues and there's a reason the European FPCs have a larger bore size compared to the stroke). A true, purpose-built FPC engine from Ford would be awesome and help solve some of the Voodoo's issues, but likely wont see that
Agreed. But there's also a reason they dominate in so many forms of racing - they rev more freely, make smoother power, and are lighter.

Doesn't mean they're right for everyone is every mustang built, but they have their place and when built right are something very special.

exactly and it’s also why the gt350 will always be something special. I don’t see ford One upping this car. From an N/A perspective

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
You've nailed the issues that I see when people debate this issue. So many argue from the perspective that Ford was trying to build the ultimate race car engine. They weren't. It's fairly obvious Ford built this entire car (engine and all) with the driving experience in mind. That said, it also doesn't mean it was all marketing and the Voodoo is just a gimmick. It did win an IMSA championship its first year...
i wouldn’t say the voodoo is a gimmick, because we don’t really know why Ford went with a flat plane crank. It’s not like they came out and said we specifically wanted it for XYZ. They did say they wanted the FPC for Better bay to bay breathing, and that they wanted the lighter crankshaft but that’s kinda the point of the FPC. So for me it just comes off as a mood point because the vast majority of there gains over a coyote where from the amazing heads, 14mm cams and the intake manifold they developed, larger 87mm TB too. It’s a hard thing to quantify because it’s not like they said the FPC gave them 50hp over the CPC or it was the reason why raving to 8000rpm and being reliable was only because of the FPC

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
i wouldn’t say the voodoo is a gimmick, because we don’t really know why Ford went with a flat plane crank. It’s not like they came out and said we specifically wanted it for XYZ. They did say they wanted the FPC for Better bay to bay breathing, and that they wanted the lighter crankshaft but that’s kinda the point of the FPC. So for me it just comes off as a mood point because the vast majority of there gains over a coyote where from the amazing heads, 14mm cams and the intake manifold they developed, larger 87mm TB too. It’s a hard thing to quantify because it’s not like they said the FPC gave them 50hp over the CPC or it was the reason why raving to 8000rpm and being reliable was only because of the FPC
Have you driven one? They drive very differently.

Most of what you just mentioned is still focused on peak power--which isn't really applicable to the FPC/CPC debate (especially in a street car). It's about the power curve and how the engine revs

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT

Most of what you just mentioned is still focused on peak power--which isn't really applicable to the FPC/CPC debate (especially in a street car). It's about the power curve and how the engine revs
Driven two
One stock
One with Full bolt ons, it reminded me when i had a boss intake on my 14 nobody home till 4K and it would take off. Added headers and a good tune from Shaun fixed that

but the point I’ve been making is the whole CPC vs FPC with this engine in particular, Isn’t worth losing sleep over

Sponsored

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT

and sadly we dont have a perfect comparison between a 5.2 with an FPC vs CPC id love to see a real world same mods graph just to see the curve

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
The Metallurgists who were performing this testing looked at me funny when I said, "Wow Flat-Planed Cranks." They actually did not know what a Flat Plane Crank was! They know what they are doing metallurgically, but not as it relates to Shelbys.

I saw 2 pallets of '03 Cobra Eaton Superchargers sliced to bits in '99... they did not know what they were testing...... I did...!!!

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
The OP talked a great deal about the things he did with the motor "JLT cold air intake & Tuned the engine" was on the list

Would that add power at least a little to the Voodoo as well?

Sponsored
OP
OP

VoodooStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
-
Vehicle(s)
-
The OP talked a great deal about the things he did with the motor "JLT cold air intake & Tuned the engine" was on the list

Would that add power at least a little to the Voodoo as well?
Yes, a JLT cold air intake with a 100 octane tune would add quite a few ponies

OP
OP

VoodooStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
-
Vehicle(s)
-
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-A52XS
  • Designed to work with 2015-2017 Mustang GT electronics-custom calibration required!
  • 580 Horsepower @ 7,800 rpm
  • 445 lb.-ft. Torque @ 4,500 rpm
  • 5.2L
  • 317 Cubic Inches
  • 12:1 Compression Ratio
  • Mahle® hard anodized forged pistons with low friction coating
  • Unique Manley® H-beam connecting rods with ARP2000® bolts
  • Unique Ford Performance M-6303-M52 Forged steel cross-plane crankshaft
  • Uses Ford Performance M-6010-M52B Shelby GT350 cylinder block
  • Ford Performance M-6675-M52 Shelby GT350 oil pan which features integrated windage and slosh baffles as well as an integrated oil pickup
  • Ford Performance M-6600-M50A billet steel gerotor oil pump gear set
  • Ford Performance M-9424-M50CJA Cobra Jet tuned intake (will not clear production 2015-2017 hood without modification). Please contact the Ford Performance Techline for more information
  • Ford Performance M-9926-CJ65 Cobra Jet dual bore 65mm bore throttle body
  • Four-valve-per-cylinder Shelby GT350 fully CNC ported aluminum heads with Roller-finger camshaft followers
  • Unique PAC® valve springs
  • Ford Performance M-6550-M52 camshafts
  • Camshaft specifications:
  • Intake camshaft - 14mm lift / 270 degrees duration
  • Exhaust camshaft - 14mm lift / 270 degrees duration
  • Robust primary timing chains as used on Shelby GT350R
  • Low-leak rate variable cam timing (VCT) phasers
  • Forged steel crankshaft sprocket
  • Ford Performance M-9593-LU47 47 lb. fuel injectors
  • Ford Performance M-12A227-CJ13 high RPM pulse ring
  • Unique Ford Performance blue coil covers with added unique badging. This coil cover set is not available anywhere other than the Aluminator 5.2XS!
  • Ford Performance M-12405-M50A zero (0) heat range spark plugs
  • Ford Performance M-6731-FL820 oil filter (quantity-1 included)
  • 200 amp alternator and Front Engine Accessory Drive (FEAD) kit as used on the Cobra Jet race car
    2F3F0CB9-0074-40E0-BCE9-BB66DEE40069.jpeg

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
JLT makes okay stuff. The biggest issue is the owner Jay Tucker he’s a fud. But it’s the only intake you can really run on the gt350. PMAS for a hot moment was the intake to have but once nick sold the company the new guys didn’t much of anything to evolve the brand.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
This is the FP350s race engine
Okay kinda random but I just realized that the Mustang GT4 uses 5.2L V8.

Do you or anybody know what the difference is between the FP350 and the engine in the Mustang GT4?

Im guessing they based off the same engine meaning that its basically the Voodoo engine but is cross plane, but with some differences?
Sponsored