GT350 breakover angle?

Seb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sebastiaan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition
My new apartment has an underground parking garage with a driveway that slopes down 13 degrees. The driveway is curved at the top, so it's not a hard transition. However I am still concerned my car could bottom out.

I searched the forum/owners manual/Google but could not find what the GT350's breakover angle is. Assuming 5 inches of ground clearance, I calculate ~11 degrees.

Does anyone know what the angle quoted by Ford is?

At the end of the driveway there is a transition slope of 8 degrees btw. Not ideal, but since it's a fairly wide driveway I can take it an angle and hopefully just squeeze through. :fingerscrossed:
Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
My new apartment has an underground parking garage with a driveway that slopes down 13 degrees. The driveway is curved at the top, so it's not a hard transition. However I am still concerned my car could bottom out.

I searched the forum/owners manual/Google but could not find what the GT350's breakover angle is. Assuming 5 inches of ground clearance, I calculate ~11 degrees.

Does anyone know what the angle quoted by Ford is?

At the end of the driveway there is a transition slope of 8 degrees btw. Not ideal, but since it's a fairly wide driveway I can take it an angle and hopefully just squeeze through. :fingerscrossed:
This isn't the break over angle but you may have a problem with the approach angle before even worrying about the break over angle. Looks like seven degrees based on the towing info in the supplement:

1641490007543.png

OP
OP
Seb

Seb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sebastiaan
Vehicle(s)
This isn't the break over angle but you may have a problem with the approach angle before even worrying about the break over angle. Looks like seven degrees based on the towing info in the supplement:
I’m less worried about the approach angle since the car sits a little higher than stock due to the tires with taller sidewalls I put on. I can also come in at a bit of an angle since the driveway is about 1.5 car widths.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
It isn’t often easy to tell if the car will make contact but I do not believe a break over angle would ever be quoted for a car since they don’t go off-road. But if high centering is a genuine concern for you I’d imagine your splitter clearance would be a problem also whether you have taller tires or not. I could be mistaken but in all my years and miles driving lowered cars this isn’t something any driveway, speed bump or transition had presented. Good luck.

tampasnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R

1641490007543.png
Thanks for posting this! I have been meaning to search for this because I am looking at buying a trailer to tow my car to the track this year.

Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
It's your splitter that will be bottoming out, to the point of cracking. I find even going up the apron of some driveway entrances into prking lots, I scrape the bottom of the splinter.

OP
OP
Seb

Seb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sebastiaan
Vehicle(s)
It isn’t often easy to tell if the car will make contact but I do not believe a break over angle would ever be quoted for a car since they don’t go off-road. But if high centering is a genuine concern for you I’d imagine your splitter clearance would be a problem also whether you have taller tires or not. I could be mistaken but in all my years and miles driving lowered cars this isn’t something any driveway, speed bump or transition had presented. Good luck.
Porsche does quote it for the 911; supposedly it's 12.6 degrees. Which makes me think the ~11 degrees I calculated for the GT350 is plausible because of the Shelby's longer wheelbase.

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 10.11.32 PM.png

The slope of the driveway decreases from 13 to 8 degrees at the bottom. 1 degree too much, but I believe I can manage that since I used to park in a garage with a similar approach angle at the end of the driveway.

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Bronco Sport Outerbanks
I’m less worried about the approach angle since the car sits a little higher than stock due to the tires with taller sidewalls I put on. I can also come in at a bit of an angle since the driveway is about 1.5 car widths.
Sorry if this sidetracks you but can you give tires sizes and brand? I would love to get this thing a little taller ;)

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
You should be able to measure and calculate your car specifically. Take the lowest point under the undercarriage in the middle of the car, measure the height off the ground. Then measure the straightline from that point on the undercarriage to the ground where the front wheel patch is.

Take the tangent of (first measurement divided by the second measuremet) and this ought to give you a pretty close approximation.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Porsche does quote it for the 911; supposedly it's 12.6 degrees. Which makes me think the ~11 degrees I calculated for the GT350 is plausible because of the Shelby's longer wheelbase.

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 10.11.32 PM.png

The slope of the driveway decreases from 13 to 8 degrees at the bottom. 1 degree too much, but I believe I can manage that since I used to park in a garage with a similar approach angle at the end of the driveway.
I stand corrected.

Reactions: Seb

Sponsored
OP
OP
Seb

Seb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sebastiaan
Vehicle(s)
Sorry if this sidetracks you but can you give tires sizes and brand? I would love to get this thing a little taller ;)
Sure: I changed my Cup 2s to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4. They are 285/40.

OP
OP
Seb

Seb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sebastiaan
Vehicle(s)
You should be able to measure and calculate your car specifically. Take the lowest point under the undercarriage in the middle of the car, measure the height off the ground. Then measure the straightline from that point on the undercarriage to the ground where the front wheel patch is.

Take the tangent of (first measurement divided by the second measuremet) and this ought to give you a pretty close approximation.
I would break out the tape measurer if it wasn’t for the fact that my car is currently crossing the Pacific ocean on its way to Europe. :crackup:

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I know this is no scientific addition to your thread, but I’ve been in some parking garages and stuff where I just knew for dang sure I was gonna drag or hang up…but never did. Sure we all have.

Reactions: Seb

Joe Mac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 350
I took mine to a shop that specializes in exotic cars. They added several skid plates to areas under the front spoiler
Not sure if this will help but these plates are made to slide when they contact the ground. Another guy posted awhile back about a hard rubber drive way pad that he bought on Amazon.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I took mine to a shop that specializes in exotic cars. They added several skid plates to areas under the front spoiler
Not sure if this will help but these plates are made to slide when they contact the ground. Another guy posted awhile back about a hard rubber drive way pad that he bought on Amazon.
You're talking about products like SLiPLO. They help, but not meant for twice daily scraping like he'd encounter coming in and out of his garage. They will wear down quickly. Plus, if the angle is too great, the splitter will bend to the point of cracking.
Sponsored