GT with PP manual driving tips

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Aha. You have 3.31 final drive ratio... what are your rpms at 6th?

I got 2000 rpms at 70 mph with 3.7.
2000 rpm right at about 74-75 mph.
Sponsored

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
You're saying you're heel-n-toeing down-shifts up to every stop sign/light, slower moving traffic? If not, what way is there other than neutral?
No I am not saying that, I only heel and toe when exiting a highway into a tight clover leaf turn or very spirited driving on open roads where it's more appropriate at higher speeds.
Not heel/Toe, but I do just blip the throttle to somewhat match the rpms to down shift when coming up on a full stop.... I typically downshift to the lower gears as I like to leave the trans in gear right up to the point where you have to depress the clutch to full stop.
I've never been in the practice of driving up to a traffic light at 30 mph and go from 3rd or 4th right to neutral and coast to a stop.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
No I am not saying that, I only heel and toe when exiting a highway into a tight clover leaf turn or very spirited driving on open roads where it's more appropriate at higher speeds.
Not heel/Toe, but I do just blip the throttle to somewhat match the rpms to down shift when coming up on a full stop.... I typically downshift to the lower gears as I like to leave the trans in gear right up to the point where you have to depress the clutch to full stop.
I've never been in the practice of driving up to a traffic light at 30 mph and go from 3rd or 4th right to neutral and coast to a stop.
You heel-toe on the street? All you're doing is causing exess wear on the clutch, synchros, pistons, clutch pedal bearings, etc... While true this is a gross exaggeration and not a concern, but many people like to blow things out of proportion on this thread so why not?

It's great to see people practicing heel tie on the street. Don't let it become a lost art!

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.... I typically downshift to the lower gears as I like to leave the trans in gear right up to the point where you have to depress the clutch to full stop.
Do as you will, but that's a whole bunch of wasted effort and clutch material.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
:headbonk:

Practicing driving craft isnt wasted effort. Also insignificant wear on the clutch. A less proficient driver will wear out a clutch far faster just getting the car rolling from a stop than a proficient one will who heel-toe downshifts.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Plus with a Corsa Extreme, it's also fun on the noise factor. I love the looks people give you or the cars that think you're wanting to race. It's like, "Dude, I'm just engine braking. Leave me alone".

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Heel toe downshifts will waste less clutch material because the engine revs are better matched to the rotational speed of the rest of the drive train. You're using the throttle pedal and your brain to match up revs rather than using friction from the clutch to do it. Plus rev matched shifts are easier on the transmission.

Also, if you buy a car to have fun in, why not practice for that next track outing during your daily drive?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Plus with a Corsa Extreme, it's also fun on the noise factor. I love the looks people give you or the cars that think you're wanting to race. It's like, "Dude, I'm just engine braking. Leave me alone".
Oh the glorious overrun sounds with the Xtreme...

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
:headbonk:

Practicing driving craft isnt wasted effort. Also insignificant wear on the clutch. A less proficient driver will wear out a clutch far faster just getting the car rolling from a stop than a proficient one will who heel-toe downshifts.

Heel toe downshifts will waste less clutch material because the engine revs are better matched to the rotational speed of the rest of the drive train. You're using the throttle pedal and your brain to match up revs rather than using friction from the clutch to do it. Plus rev matched shifts are easier on the transmission.

Also, if you buy a car to have fun in, why not practice for that next track outing during your daily drive?
Practicing occasionally? Sure, I do it. Heel n' toeing all the time? Up to every light, stop sign, slower moving traffic? In NoVa/DC traffic?

Nope.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Practicing occasionally? Sure, I do it. Heel n' toeing all the time? Up to every light, stop sign, slower moving traffic? In NoVa/DC traffic?

Nope.
I do it everywhere I can. The only negative I've experienced is that you don't frequently do threshold braking on the street so you "learn" the wrong pedal heights compared to the track.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I do it everywhere I can. The only negative I've experienced is that you don't frequently do threshold braking on the street so you "learn" the wrong pedal heights compared to the track.
Yes...this is a real thing. I also do it pretty much every day but you do have to recalibrate yourself for the track. Not in this car, but I once had to pull into the run off area after a short braking zone after botching a heel-toe for precisely this reason.

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933

Nope.
I don't know anyone who does Heel/Toe every time at every possible stop, evidently you misinterpreted what I and others here have said....only when and where it's possible for high speed braking and down shifting...as I take every opportunity (again when possible to heel/toe) because I like to do it...I do down shift to every stop at least down to 2nd gear and when slowing from a higher speed if I feel the need to rev match I'll do that too.

I bought the Mustang GT/PP with a manual trans to purposely drive it with performance shifting in mind....I don't really care if the Mustang will ever have 200,000 miles, it's about having fun in the moment. With the Steeda Heel/toe gas pedal and with the Corsa Extremes the popping and gurgling after down shifting is just adding to the experience...and I dive the same way in my everyday 2008 Honda 5 speed Civic coupe.

dbegley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package 401a
Vehicle Showcase
I have been driving a stick for close to 45 years. My GT PP is unlike any car I have ever driven. First that clutch spring is an issue. I pulled it out yesterday.

With the torque this car has and that 3.73 rear end gear, you can drive this car at 45 MPH in 6th gear. I am a bit amazed at how well it behaves driving it like a little old lady. Sure you don't have much rpm for acceleration in 6th at 45, that is when you downshift. The service manager at the dealership told me 1st gear is a launch gear and to use in 2nd if I am not racing. To each his own, but it does well in the 1500-3000 rpm range. Sure you can drive it differently. Redline is 7K.
Sponsored