Sponsored

GT with PP manual driving tips

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Even 1/2 throttle at 1500 rpm isn't good for the engine. Probably even 1/3 throttle is a bad idea. You can say the word idiot and act like it's simple, but it gets to splitting hairs how much engine power you can access at a really low rpm without accelerating the rate of wear and essentially lugging the engine. I would rather down shift and stay out of that zone.
Full throttle at 1,500rpm isn't going to hurt anything. Lugging the engine at high load doesn't wear anything out any more than higher rpm does.
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Full throttle at 1,500rpm isn't going to hurt anything. Lugging the engine at high load doesn't wear anything out any more than higher rpm does.
I actually have to agree with [MENTION=12069]Hack[/MENTION] on this one. While the computer will pull back timing and mixture, the real risk is the amount of time the piston spends being at top dead center is longer down low before relief at bottom dead center than at higher RPM. I cruise in 6th at 45 MPH all the time and will give it hair throttle to get some speed going but for a real pass, I drop a gear or two.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Okay. Why the fuck would I lie about that? At 30mph in 6th my car is about 800rpm and on a flat road where I'm not accelerating it works great.
You need an automatic tranny. Why would you do that? :shrug:

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I actually have to agree with [MENTION=12069]Hack[/MENTION] on this one. While the computer will pull back timing and mixture, the real risk is the amount of time the piston spends being at top dead center is longer down low before relief at bottom dead center than at higher RPM. I cruise in 6th at 45 MPH all the time and will give it hair throttle to get some speed going but for a real pass, I drop a gear or two.
You're talking about a modern engine with fuel injection, DOHC, variable valve timing and development of tens of thousands of hours spent by Ford engineers calibrating the engine for every imaginable altitude, temperature, load, rpm etc... It's fine.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Why turn a bunch of revs for no reason.
2,000 -3,000 RPMs is not a LOT of revs for our engines.

To respond to some of the other statements in this thread, I'll repeat myself. My priority is on taking care of the engine rather than trying to eke out the absolute maximum fuel economy. If I wanted fuel economy I wouldn't have bought a Mustang.

And if you want proof that lugging isn't good for your engine, try using Google. It's not difficult to find information nowadays. Heck, it's your car do what you want with it.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Okay. Why the fuck would I lie about that? At 30mph in 6th my car is about 800rpm and on a flat road where I'm not accelerating it works great.
:confused:

You're literally lugging it to near stall driving around at just above idle. At least put it in 5th at 30 mph, man. The engine doesn't like to be loaded at that speed.

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
I tried cruising around in 6th at 30 mph on the flats in town. No lugging but I don't think I was optimizing my mpg. I do like my economy car. LOL!

MRose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
:confused:

You're literally lugging it to near stall driving around at just above idle. At least put it in 5th at 30 mph, man. The engine doesn't like to be loaded at that speed.
I'm not lugging the engine. I'm barely even touching the accelerator just putzing on flat ground on a slow 30mph road.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You're talking about a modern engine with fuel injection, DOHC, variable valve timing and development of tens of thousands of hours spent by Ford engineers calibrating the engine for every imaginable altitude, temperature, load, rpm etc... It's fine.
I mean it's not gonna instantly blow up or anything if you wack it a few times. But I know I wouldn't be doing it on the regular. Plus on a more practical stand point, the passing power is terrible.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I mean it's not gonna instantly blow up or anything if you wack it a few times. But I know I wouldn't be doing it on the regular. Plus on a more practical stand point, the passing power is terrible.
Doesn't matter if you do it or don't. If you've ever looked at the ECUs calibration tables, they are extensive and optimize the engine for power, efficiency, and safety for every imaginable combination of load, rpm (idle to redline), temp, pressure, etc... Driving at any to or load combination below redline will not hurt the motor. Anyone who thinks otherwise is being ridiculous.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Rev matching I've learned so far:

4th gear, 3500 rpm at 55 mph
3rd gear, 4000 rpm at 50 mph
3rd gear, 3000 rpm at 40 mph
2nd gear, 4000 rpm at 30 mph
2nd gear, 3000 rpm at 20 mph

Just barely over 2000 miles. Still getting familiar with the different rev matches.

I hit 6th gear close to 50 mph. Anything less than that is sluggish unless it's open flat road, and that's not Central Texas much.
Sponsored