2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I try to generally keep revs around 3k before shifting. Never put it in 6th unless on the highway like others have stated.

The nice thing about keeping it around 3K is that its not too loud yet (mbrp cat back) and if needed engine torque and the 3.73s can pull me out pretty quick if needed. However the other night this 350Z was beeing a toolbag so I dropped 2 gears for a sec and was out.
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Never had muscle car before, and GT MT (PP) is not like all other transmissions I drove before.

First five gears are prety close (i like that) and then the sixth one stays far apart.

I have 2000 rpm at 70mph at 6th. I usually did not drive my cars with rpms below 2000. And then I checked my user manual and they suggest to switch into 6th at 43 mph! Thay say that's for fuel economy. Is that ok or will kill the engine really quick? I mean, the engine would be at just around 1500 rpms at that speed with low oil pressure and high loads. And I was trying not to get into 6th before 70mph...
You're overthinking this. 6th gear @ 45mph is fine on flat ground. If you're going up an incline, downshift. If you need to accelerate quickly, downshift.

I always drive steady state in a gear that will keep the RPMs at or below 2000rpm. No need to waste fuel by revving the shit out of the engine when just cruising.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I dont grab 6th until im bumpin 70+ on the interstate, totally wrong gear to be in otherwise, and you're never going to see any mileage from it's use anyway and as the saying goes if you need that little tick in MPG from short shfiting it, the problem is you, not MPG.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I shift 1-2 around 2000 in parking lots only. Usually use 2 to start out on the street. 2-3 and 3-4 are between 3000 and 3500. 4-5 and 5-6 is between 2500 and 3000. 6th is generally highway only or if I'll be above 60mph for a while.

You guys shifting at 4000-4500 must have quiet exhausts. Mine screams above 3500 and I don't want to be "that guy" on the roads, always two gears lower than where I should be.

[MENTION=7256]dogiebitt[/MENTION] Dude you have GT500 mufflers on your car with a resonator delete? Umm...where are your exhaust videos!

Krogen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White & Blue Stripes
The GT350 has a similar setup. 1-5 are evenly spaced and there's a big gap between 5th and 6th. I just have to remember it's essentially a 5-speed with a heavy crusing overdrive. Also note that the exhaust mode closes down to "quiet" when you shift into 6th.

IMHO, it should have a gear between 5th and 6th. A 7-speed like Corvettes have. This is my third 6-speed manual. The previous ones were evenly spaced 1-6 and shifting was intuitive. In my GT350, I find my brain trying to put the car in 6th when I get above 2500 or so. That's too soon and 6th almost lugs the car.

Strangely, Ford does say 43 mph in 6th is OK. My old school brain says that's lugging and I don't do it. 1500 RPMs is the absolute lower limit for me before I downshift; usually 2000. The car will tell you when you're lugging it. Lugging is bad for the bearings. It's betting to keep the revs on the high side instead of the low side. Gas mileage is Prius owners!

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I dont grab 6th until im bumpin 70+ on the interstate, totally wrong gear to be in otherwise, and you're never going to see any mileage from it's use anyway and as the saying goes if you need that little tick in MPG from short shfiting it, the problem is you, not MPG.
Any time I'm steady state driving, I turn 1500-2000rpm. Unless you're expecting to race every grocery-getter that passes you, turning any higher RPM is a total waste of gas. And yes, it makes a significant difference in fuel economy.

zillah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT Premium PP
I feel uncomfortable under 2000 rpm in 6th. I get realllly uncomfortable below 1500 rpm. I'd rather hang out in 5th gear around 3k before shifting to 6th unless I know I am cruising.

BLSTOIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I've gotten 25MPG with cruise control on 80, don't sweat it. Let her breath and rev

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Strangely, Ford does say 43 mph in 6th is OK. My old school brain says that's lugging and I don't do it. 1500 RPMs is the absolute lower limit for me before I downshift; usually 2000. The car will tell you when you're lugging it. Lugging is bad for the bearings. It's betting to keep the revs on the high side instead of the low side. Gas mileage is Prius owners!
I've watched my timing before on my previous GT as I put heavier load at lower RPM's and the car is actually really good about backing off timing if it has to. If I wanted to make a little gradual pass on the freeway at about 50 MPH or so I remember the timing would often go to less than 10 degrees.

That being said, I've done a bit over 40 MPH before with my GT350 in 6th. Flat roads. It's not really bad. You can creep on speed with a touch of throttle and the engine doesn't sound or feel like it's upset about it. A real pass of course, and yeah 4th gear it is.

ZackJones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
I drive like a grandpa in my Mustang most of the time so I'll shift into 6th around 45 MPH. For getting on the highway though winding out 3rd gear is pure joy. So far on the highway 27.6 is the best MPG I've seen on the dash and that was primarily cruising in 65th at 75 MPH.

For the curious here's Ford's recommended shift speeds for the GT.

Gear - MPH/KPH
1-2 - 13/21
2-3 - 24/39
3-4 - 32/50
4-5 - 39/63
5-6 - 43/69

Sponsored

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
I dont go into 6th until at least 55mph, anything less than that is putting a strain on your clutch and engine!

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I dont go into 6th until at least 55mph, anything less than that is putting a strain on your clutch and engine!
100% false.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Never had muscle car before......
And you don't now. Mustangs never have been, and are not now, "Muscle Cars".

I usually did not drive my cars with rpms below 2000. ....they suggest to switch into 6th at 43 mph! .....will kill the engine really quick?
You really believe that you will "kill the engine" by driving at low RPMs? Really? For reals???

And you think the manual telling you to shift into 6th at 43MPH is.....what, exactly? Something written in stone? Some sort of rule to be followed at all times?

Honestly, the lack of mechanical sympathy around here is astounding. Like, unless it's a written instruction, it's impossible to figure it out for yourselves. It's like some of you are robots, with no feel or flow to what you're doing.

Look, you shift into 6th at low RPM when you are cruising gently and quietly, relaxed. You shift at 7000RPM when you are out-running the cops at max attack down the road. And then there are a million points of light between those two.....

Shifting, when and how and at what RPMs, is situation dependent.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's definitely not good to lug your engine. Fuel economy is not important to me. Engine power and engine life, however, IS very important to me. I would never drive in 6th at 43 mph. I usually downshift if I slow down below about 65 mph. The GT350 gearing isn't quite the same as a GT PP, but you get the idea.

So I avoid driving in any gear that puts the engine at less than 2,000 rpm, unless I have cruise engaged and the road is relatively empty.

That rumbling sound you hear when you step on the throttle at low rpm? That's the pistons tipping in their bores and scraping their skirts against the cylinder walls. It's not going to prevent your engine from running, but over time lugging the engine will increase the piston-cylinder wall clearance and reduce power output.
Sponsored