Sponsored

Go catless with boost

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
That's like saying the only drawback to castration is you lose a little weight and become liberal. Car without cats smells like crap and it doesn't take long to stink it up. You guys without cats are the stinky kid in class. I'm not talking "I forgot my deodorant today" smell, talking "been going to the gym for a week without a shower" funk.

Green cats aren't as good as the stock cats but it is way better than none at all. Folks will drop $10k+ for a FI system but can't be bothered with <$1k emissions equipment. Crazy logic.

If your car is totally track duty, yeah take them off because it isn't worth it. If it is occasional track duty street car, do us all a favor and put some cats on the thing.
I think ur exaggerating it like an Italian would lol. I run cat delete and my car does not stink. Smell different , but doesn’t stink
Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I think ur exaggerating it like an Italian would lol. I run cat delete and my car does not stink. Smell different , but doesn’t stink
I agree it’s not that bad, but that’s in comparison to my fox body which was noxious.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I agree it’s not that bad, but that’s in comparison to my fox body which was noxious.
Matter of perspective I guess. Possibly tune related as well. You can definitely tell the difference though.

My biggest complaint about whether to use or not use cats isn't about the smell, it's bad information. Though this horse is very much dead and on its way to being glue. I would assume at this point, people can make their own decisions. :)

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Going catless was the best think I ever did to make car aside from Whipple. It was an unexpected side affect, but after catless when the Whipple cal was modified the car has never run so good. Drivability changed so much, no more hesitation or weirdness at part throttle. Very responsive now pulls harder at easing into the throttle and part throttle. Cat saver was turned off as well as decell fuel at 4K and power enrichment comes on much sooner. Smell yes a little, but car is so much better in every way now.

Swayse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt auto
Matter of perspective I guess. Possibly tune related as well. You can definitely tell the difference though.

My biggest complaint about whether to use or not use cats isn't about the smell, it's bad information. Though this horse is very much dead and on its way to being glue. I would assume at this point, people can make their own decisions. :)

Depends on the tune too. My NA coyote lund tune wasn't bad at all, little stinky but hardly noticeable. Now my catless eco f150 with an unleashed tune, that'll burn your eyeballs on cold start. I think the pickup still has the rich start to light the cats.

Sponsored

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
I just read at the end of the whipple instruction book that if you run cat deletes you lose 0.5-1.5 boost....

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I just read at the end of the whipple instruction book that if you run cat deletes you lose 0.5-1.5 boost....
A lot of people believe the boost gauge measures supercharger output. It doesn't.

The boost gauge measures pressure. Pressure is caused by a restriction to flow. The engine is that restriction to flow.
While the supercharger is spinning and making up air, the engine is also running and inhaling, and the boost gauge only shows the remainder. In other words: The boost gauge only shows WHAT'S LEFT after the engine consumes what it can.

Supercharger output MINUS engine consumption = what's left to display on the gauge.

Sometimes we get a call from an enthusiast who has just added headers, or cams, or a larger intake and now sees his boost gauge is lower than it used to be. They call thinking they did something wrong. Quite the opposite – they have removed restrictions to air flow in their motor, and although the supercharger is producing as much air as it did before, the engine can now use more of it. The HP of this engine has gone up, and the boost gauge will have gone down.

rj67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP Competition Orange
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting my headers and an AWE Touring cat back installed Saturday. Hope I see the same results.

Going catless was the best think I ever did to make car aside from Whipple. It was an unexpected side affect, but after catless when the Whipple cal was modified the car has never run so good. Drivability changed so much, no more hesitation or weirdness at part throttle. Very responsive now pulls harder at easing into the throttle and part throttle. Cat saver was turned off as well as decell fuel at 4K and power enrichment comes on much sooner. Smell yes a little, but car is so much better in every way now.

Last edited:

rj67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Headers installed. Haven't turned off the cat saver yet but the first thing I noticed is more super charger sound standing outside of the car. Here are a couple of pics.

I'm getting my headers and an AWE Touring cat back installed Saturday. Hope I see the same results.
headers.jpeg
AWE tag.jpeg
kooks.jpeg

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Headers installed. Haven't turned off the cat saver yet but the first thing I noticed is more super charger sound standing outside of the car. Here are a couple of pics.

headers.jpeg
AWE tag.jpeg
kooks.jpeg
Hows the sound with no mid pipe muffler, must be loud.

Sponsored

rj67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

headers.jpeg
AWE tag.jpeg
kooks.jpeg
It isn't quiet no doubt!
Let's see if my link works... a couple of quick revs and spilled blnker fluid.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
Did going catless introduce rasp in the AWE? I just put that exhaust on my car and will be going FI/catless longtubes soon. I'm hoping it doesn't get raspy like some other catbacks.

rj67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did going catless introduce rasp in the AWE? I just put that exhaust on my car and will be going FI/catless longtubes soon. I'm hoping it doesn't get raspy like some other catbacks.
I haven't driven it much since the headers went on. We have the outer bands of Hurricane Florence passing through.
I had the headers and AWE installed at the same time so I can't give you good before and after comparison. It might have a touch of rasp at high rpm's but nothing like the Corsa Extremes with long tubes, which I why I made the switch. I was going to go with the Corsa Touring axle back until I started researching the AWE Touring and loved the deep h-pipe sound.
V8Venom has a few good videos on his YouTube page.

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
I am considering removing my high flow cats and prob just use a delete of some sort
however they have been on my whipple car for 2 years and run fine..

HRSEPLA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
A Bunch
I haven't driven it much since the headers went on. We have the outer bands of Hurricane Florence passing through.
I had the headers and AWE installed at the same time so I can't give you good before and after comparison. It might have a touch of rasp at high rpm's but nothing like the Corsa Extremes with long tubes, which I why I made the switch. I was going to go with the Corsa Touring axle back until I started researching the AWE Touring and loved the deep h-pipe sound.
V8Venom has a few good videos on his YouTube page.

That sounds great and you have some beautiful scenery in your area! Wow
Sponsored