Go catless with boost

ahl395

Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
The car is put back together but running into some issues. Car cranks and sounds good but everytime they give it gas, it throws a wrench code. Hit the throttle rpms don't move at all. They re loaded the tune... still no throttle response. Has anybody ever came across a issue like this? They're not able to to a crank reset either. Throttle isn't climbing at all
+1 what codes? Wrench light will produce a DTC just like a CEL will.

My guess is the Throttle position sensor in the gas pedal, or maybe the sensor/motor in the throttle body.

OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Car starts but has zero throttle response. Throwing random codes that aren't true, low oil pressure generator code etc. They traced every wire and made sure every connection was tight. No pinched wires or loose connections. Only thing he can think of is a bad CPU. My question is.. do you think maybe when they put everything together a wire might've touched something blew a circuit in the cpu? Has anybody had any cpu issues before? They checked every ground wire as well. What else can cause no throttle? It won't rev. Car idles perfectly. Starts up without a problem.Thanks for your help

superman07

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Kindly disagree, volume does not equate to quality or "the best".

The op was tuned by lund and no one tunes more cars then lund. They know what they’re doing when it comes to tuning. These failures are not tune related, its a simple matter of physics. Aftermarket cats were never designed to handle the heat that boost brings...its just a matter of time before they fail. The op’s failed relatively quickly and he lost a motor to it. Its your money...

Burkey

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Kindly disagree, volume does not equate to quality or "the best".
That’s true, but the logs I’ve seen show that Lund are pretty conservative on their Whipple tuning. Possibly even more conservative than the Whipple tune. :shrug:

Turbolag87

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
That's like saying the only drawback to castration is you lose a little weight and become liberal. Car without cats smells like crap and it doesn't take long to stink it up. You guys without cats are the stinky kid in class. I'm not talking "I forgot my deodorant today" smell, talking "been going to the gym for a week without a shower" funk.

Green cats aren't as good as the stock cats but it is way better than none at all. Folks will drop $10k+ for a FI system but can't be bothered with <$1k emissions equipment. Crazy logic.

If your car is totally track duty, yeah take them off because it isn't worth it. If it is occasional track duty street car, do us all a favor and put some cats on the thing.
I think ur exaggerating it like an Italian would lol. I run cat delete and my car does not stink. Smell different , but doesn’t stink

Roh92cp

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I think ur exaggerating it like an Italian would lol. I run cat delete and my car does not stink. Smell different , but doesn’t stink
I agree it’s not that bad, but that’s in comparison to my fox body which was noxious.

Performance nut

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I agree it’s not that bad, but that’s in comparison to my fox body which was noxious.
Matter of perspective I guess. Possibly tune related as well. You can definitely tell the difference though.

My biggest complaint about whether to use or not use cats isn't about the smell, it's bad information. Though this horse is very much dead and on its way to being glue. I would assume at this point, people can make their own decisions. :)

Roh92cp

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Going catless was the best think I ever did to make car aside from Whipple. It was an unexpected side affect, but after catless when the Whipple cal was modified the car has never run so good. Drivability changed so much, no more hesitation or weirdness at part throttle. Very responsive now pulls harder at easing into the throttle and part throttle. Cat saver was turned off as well as decell fuel at 4K and power enrichment comes on much sooner. Smell yes a little, but car is so much better in every way now.

Swayse

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt auto
Matter of perspective I guess. Possibly tune related as well. You can definitely tell the difference though.

My biggest complaint about whether to use or not use cats isn't about the smell, it's bad information. Though this horse is very much dead and on its way to being glue. I would assume at this point, people can make their own decisions. :)

Depends on the tune too. My NA coyote lund tune wasn't bad at all, little stinky but hardly noticeable. Now my catless eco f150 with an unleashed tune, that'll burn your eyeballs on cold start. I think the pickup still has the rich start to light the cats.

NewTekBuzz

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
I just read at the end of the whipple instruction book that if you run cat deletes you lose 0.5-1.5 boost....

Roush05

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I just read at the end of the whipple instruction book that if you run cat deletes you lose 0.5-1.5 boost....
A lot of people believe the boost gauge measures supercharger output. It doesn't.

The boost gauge measures pressure. Pressure is caused by a restriction to flow. The engine is that restriction to flow.
While the supercharger is spinning and making up air, the engine is also running and inhaling, and the boost gauge only shows the remainder. In other words: The boost gauge only shows WHAT'S LEFT after the engine consumes what it can.

Supercharger output MINUS engine consumption = what's left to display on the gauge.

Sometimes we get a call from an enthusiast who has just added headers, or cams, or a larger intake and now sees his boost gauge is lower than it used to be. They call thinking they did something wrong. Quite the opposite – they have removed restrictions to air flow in their motor, and although the supercharger is producing as much air as it did before, the engine can now use more of it. The HP of this engine has gone up, and the boost gauge will have gone down.

rj67

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP Competition Orange
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting my headers and an AWE Touring cat back installed Saturday. Hope I see the same results.

Going catless was the best think I ever did to make car aside from Whipple. It was an unexpected side affect, but after catless when the Whipple cal was modified the car has never run so good. Drivability changed so much, no more hesitation or weirdness at part throttle. Very responsive now pulls harder at easing into the throttle and part throttle. Cat saver was turned off as well as decell fuel at 4K and power enrichment comes on much sooner. Smell yes a little, but car is so much better in every way now.

Last edited:

rj67

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP Competition Orange
Vehicle Showcase
Headers installed. Haven't turned off the cat saver yet but the first thing I noticed is more super charger sound standing outside of the car. Here are a couple of pics.

I'm getting my headers and an AWE Touring cat back installed Saturday. Hope I see the same results.
headers.jpeg
AWE tag.jpeg
kooks.jpeg

Roh92cp

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Headers installed. Haven't turned off the cat saver yet but the first thing I noticed is more super charger sound standing outside of the car. Here are a couple of pics.

headers.jpeg
AWE tag.jpeg
kooks.jpeg
Hows the sound with no mid pipe muffler, must be loud.

Advertisement

127 - Borla - 1

Advertisement